Thanks @Jaycey@fearbox@debkakes I'm in the habit of stopping a lot on road trips anyway because I had DVT years ago and take every precaution to prevent a repeat.
The whole sleep/energy thing is so strange to me. I didn't really understand that rehabbing my actual hip would be the easy thing.
I think the rehab of the hip seems easier to figure out because the pain you feel afterwards is directly related to something you've done while exercising-most of the time. The lack of energy / stamina / sleep is such a moving target. One day you're improving. The next day you need to sit all day. Sleep is probably the hardest to figure out since your previous sleep patterns go right out the window. No rhyme or reason. That's one vote for Xanax. I'm already fretting over going back to work next week, after all the increased activities I've tried to introduce over the past three weeks. Something tells me it's going to be a whole new ballgame.
Callouses on both palms from holding on for dear life to walker, cane, steering wheel, rails, whatever. Lotioning up before bedtime and happy that's the only rough patches I've encountered!!
I did it! I slept on my non op side with a regular bed pillow between my knees. I woke up at my typical 3:30 and after a little tossing and turning, gave it a shot and slept through till my alarm went off at 7.
My arm was asleep and my daughter had to physically remove Spenser from the small of my back but it was great.
That was the first time I set my alarm too. My goal this week is 4 hours a day in the office. Next week's goal is to go in with the assumption of 8 hours, but leaving early if I need to.
@muckingabout That is great!! Hopefully this a new habit and you are on the way to feeling more rested. If the dog deserts you at any time get someone to shove a pillow into your back to help you not feel like you are tipping backwards. So happy for you
Great news on the sleep... I have been able to side sleep for a week or two and I do seem to get comfy...I don't have a dog though to keep my back warm! Who hoo on the 'normal' clothes! Hope work went well for you.
Just wanted to let you know that the sleep issue is very common after major surgery. I had a major surgery at the end of June to remove a NETs from my small intestine.....It was 6 weeks until I slept through the night completely, kept waking up at 3 or 4 ....I finally realized it was anxiety driven and decided to read for 45 min to make myself sleepy. I also made sure that I did get my nap in the afternoon but for a max 1.5 hrs or I wouldn't sleep at night that well. It was such a relief that when my body was finally healed from surgery, my mind seemed to follow. Meaning that once the incision closed fully, once I could swim and bike again.....I no longer felt sick...I felt "normal".....I could enjoy the triathlons that I love!
It will happen, the sleeping all night will come.....May take longer than you would like but it will happen. As I approach my 2nd major surgery next week.....guess what....I once again am waking up at 3 but I know it is only temporary and not forever!
Thanks @CanukTriMom but unfortunately my poor sleep pattern is years in the making... stress being a big factor in lack if sleep for me. I wish it was the hip that caused it!
Best of luck with your hip surgery. Having two big ops so close together must be physically and emotionally challenging.
@muckingabout, great sleep news! There really isn't anything that compares to rest like that. And double-yay on dress pants and flats!! We're getting there!! Great plan for work schedule, too. May have to take a nod from you and start off slower.
@CanukTriMom Best of luck on your upcoming surgery! I will be watching for your recovery thread - I am a slow goer here so I am sure I will be around to cheer you on!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.