Guest viewing is limited

THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@muckingabout @NoraJ @beachgal

No way would I try jeans yet. I do wear shorts that are like a stretch short but have some stretch in them. They are getting more comfortable as my scabs come away because the side seam lines right up with my incision. For the most part I wear dresses. Although my feet don't look so swollen anymore, all my shoes think they are and I can rarely get more than flip flops on which I don't feel terribly safe wearing when crutching. I love my Skecher Walk On slip-ons ~ they are a dream for shock absorption in my knees and hips. Yesterday I wore a beaded pair of flip flops kind of perched on my feet under my long dress (I was in the wheelchair though) but on the way to the Memorial I suddenly thought I should buy a pair of stretchable ballet slippers to wear with dresses. Another shoe I wear as long as weather permits is Berkenstocks ~ they hold onto your foot much better than most sandals (some even have a heel strap). I find they make a huge difference to hip and knee pain from my arthritis.
 
Updates! I went to the office for two hours today and went to therapy. I could have stayed longer. I did my heel to toe walking without my cane without a problem.

My vision is improving. I haven't mentioned this because I felt so weird. I've owned readers for a while, but only needed them for very tiny print or low light situations -- like maybe a couple of times a month. Since my surgery I've needed them for almost all reading. I just noticed I haven't had them out for about 3 days.

I decided to try forcing myself to stay up last night to see if I would sleep through the night. That was a big fail. I think I am okay now with getting up for an hour or two during the night and going back afterward for a total of 6 give or take.
 
@muckingabout Way to go on your walking ~ that is awesome! When you are awake are you fretting about stuff and mind racing (like think about everything including the kitchen sink) ? Insomnia to some degree is not uncommon during menopause but it is quite a coincidence that it started with your surgery for the most part. I take trazadone which is supposed to be non-addictive I understand. I went through a stage of middle of the night insomnia and then I get into a vicious cycle with fatigue and how it affects my arthritis. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a Rx sleep aid, but other than teas I would not take over the counter stuff myself. I think the benefits of being well rested far outweigh the cons of a mild sleep aid. I can't imagine what a crusty old lady I would be with only 6 hours sleep a night; I'll take 9 please! :)
 
Ah, @Carriemay60 I was delighted with 6, 6-7 is my normal. It's the gap in the center that's the issue.

Here's a question for anyone who might like to weigh in. I have a class reunion on October 18. I wasn't planning to go, but now I'm hearing that people who I like but haven't seen in a while are attending, so I may want to go. It's a 7 hour drive each way. Is that realistic? I'd be eleven weeks in. What do you think?
 
@muckingabout, I'm going to watch for answers to your situation. My best friend from high school, her son is getting married on Oct 18 and the wedding is 7 hrs away from us. I have hotel reservations and all but am haunted by the thought of it being just too much. I already have my dress (still no shoes!) but....???

Let's see what the consensus is.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I'll say this, you certainly keep things interesting. My goodness. Is there a Plan B?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @muckingabout. .. I know I'm no poster girl for recovery but I actually did a few trips during the recovery. Some out of necessity and some for pleasure. My longest drive was about 4 hours one way... ( as you know Ireland just isn't that big) but I think if you can plan breaks in the drive and are continuing on your current great recovery you'd be ok. I know flying would be a little riskier.

@beachgal. ..the shoe problem? I'm trying to get dress for a 'ball'. For this I miss American stores... the shoes I could probably russel up a suade low wedge with an ankle strap...A little glam but safe! At least you've plenty of time to decide. Also if your hubby is with you at the wedding won't you be able to share driving. As above despite not the most wonderful recovery I think I would have given a wedding ago. You're sitting down...don't have dance..could take a little lie down if needed.

I was taking Xarelto too but never thought about the risks. I was careful but not due to meds.
 
@muckingabout @beachgal @NoraJ

I had to do a 3 1/2 drive 4 days post op and another 2 weeks post op for the wedding as a passenger (of course) I guess I managed. The second drive was followed by a couple of hours in my wheelchair and a 4 1/2 flight home and another hour in the car to get to the house. I was very sore and tired out. I was on blood thinners and despite my history of blood clots I had no issues which would be very rare if on blood thinners anyway.

I had pillows available to be able to relax into and one under my foot so my leg didn't take so much shock from any bumps in the road (I still travel that way because my knee does not bend 90 degrees quite yet)

At that stage I don't think I could have faced getting in the car for another 3 or 4 hours and not sure I could now. In a perfect world I would prefer it over 2 days or fly. Another option would be having the back seat clear to be able to sit across it with pillows at your back and your legs up (like a chaise lounge) and alternate that with sitting and taking breaks for a leg stretch.

For the Memorial the other day, traffic into Toronto was horrendous and I wound up being in the car 2 hours each way plus a good 4 hours in my wheelchair at the service and reception. So that totals 8 hours. I felt worn out when we got home. Yesterday I was a still pretty sore and tired but admittedly I had only slept a couple of hours with worrying over my Auntie, etc.

We are hoping to get down to our son's in Indianapolis for Thanksgiving which is a 9 hour drive for us and I think I will do fine observing some of the advice I gave above. Considering how much further along you both are in your recovery than me, I think it is doable for you a month earlier. If you leave early and take lots of little breaks with a good long one at lunch, maybe followed by a relaxing time in the hotel pool to loosen up?

My 2 cents worth in my typical long winded way :)

Nora, have you thought of ordering a dress out of England or the USA? I have had wonderful success with David's Bridal (they carry regular gowns). I have also had some nightmares with other online shopping. Many Chinese places have pirated pictures and try to copy the gowns with lousy results. If you google the name of the shop directly followed by "complaints" you can see reviews. (eg. mydress.comcomplaints)
 
Hi @Carriemay60. ..I am looking online... I'm fussy which doesn't help but I will persevere!
 
@muckingabout, I'm going to talk with my OS Monday about travel and what/how much is safe. We still are thinking of NYC at the end of October but I need to know what to expect re flying and such. I'm pretty sure we will go to the wedding weekend as stated there will be sitting and ways to navigate situations that may cause problems. I'm still watching for other opinions.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
1. My husband seems to think we can do it. We 'll see.

2. Went out to dinner with the family. Had Two glasses of wine for the the first time in like six weeks.

3. If you rely on a cane, don't go places with peanut shells on the floor
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So yesterday I went to target, church and dinner with no ill effects. I was hoping to go to a bridal fair today with my daughter, but I decided it would be too much. Her groom to be is going with her instead which is perfect.

I slept from 11:30 to 4:30 in my bed, came downstairs and puttered for a while then slept in my recliner for like another 3 hours, so I am well rested.
 
Can I ask where you'd be going that had peanut shells on the ground??? Intriguing me somewhat!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
If you can't share the driving with someone on a 7-hr drive, I'd plan for one 15 minute stop per hour or so to stretch. You know your energy level is improving day by day, so by mid October you should be good for big trip. I say that hopefully, as I am flying from CA to Upstate NY mid-October to meet a friend, and we are driving North to Maine on a leaf-peeper road trip. For myself, I expect to be up to the challenge of some lite hiking with trekking poles to assist. Pretty sure we can do this thing, @muckingabout, if we keep with our PT and respecting our bodies' wishes for rest.
 
@muckingabout

I would think at 11 weeks you will be more comfortable to go on your trip. I think if you get to uncomfortable in the passenger seat, then laying down or stretching out in the back seat would work. Do you have a vehicle that would accommodate that? Going to a class reunion would be fun.

I take and Rx to sleep. It's the only way I am able to get to sleep. If I wake up in the night I am able to get right back to sleep. Being rested is HUGE. If I have a restless night, the next day is tough all the way around.

I hope you decide to go and enjoy the company of your classmates.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's a 7 hour drive each way. Is that realistic? I'd be eleven weeks in. What do you think?
@muckingabout at 11 weeks out I think you will be very stiff if you sit for that length of time. Having said that - I would think you could do it! Just don't do the 7 hours in one stretch - stop as often as you can to stretch your legs and move around. You may be very tired after the day and that trip. But it will be a day to remember. If it were me I would give it a go!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom