THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@muckingabout, totally understand. They were my undoing. But when you don't have any pain, warm up with other exercises first then do three or four to start. It will be ok. You'll see.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @muckinabout. ..you'll get to the exercises. Are you pushing yourself a bit too much? I know here clam shells are not part of the exercises nor are leg lifts. Is that lying flat and lifting your leg upward? It still confuses me how different the protocols and exercises are!
Hopefully today it will be easier. .
 
P.s great news on getting to work. When are you actually retuning to work office based?
 
@NoraJ yes, good leg bent, op leg straight. I'm not sure what clamshells are. I'm hoping for half days in the office next week. We'll see. Sleep is still an issue.
 
I guessed sleep was still a problem. . It's the middle of the night there? I have to say I'm tired today. I sleep ok ish but I’m wiped out. I've tried so many different approaches to improving my sleep and I haven't gotten the swing of it yet.

I'll take it easy I think for the day. The clam shells I can do now having looked them up but I doubt I could have done them at 4 weeks. Although I had no difficulty with the exercises I just can't walk properly!
 
@muckingabout Sounds like your day was a great success overall! It must have felt lovely to have everyone so happy to see you. Since you have some choices on returning to work I read a good guideline somewhere. It says to find your starting point depending how you feel, so for you let's say 2 hours. So you would go for 2 hours 3x the first week, then maybe 4 hours 3x the following week, then 4 hours 5x, etc. I don't remember where I read it, it is conservative for what most people are able to do but it was tying in physical recovery with energy drain, etc. and made good sense to me.
 
@NoraJ yes, still having the sleeping problems unfortunately. Oddly enough, I've resolved the pressure points issue, but the sleeping issues remain. I've been able to go back to bed though, so it's okay.

@Carriemay60 I'm really fortunate. I'm just frustrated though.

I'm off for a pedicure now so I'll catch up later.
 
@Poppet. ..I've to do groceries today but I'll be stocking up on the items I don't have...
 
@muckingabout, at the risk of opening a can of worms, you may want to consider talking to your GP about a prescription of 10 mg Xanax. It's used for controlling anxiety mostly but aids in helping you sleep and stay asleep all night without any lingering side effects. The few times I've taken it in the past, 1/2 a tablet was enough for me. Just a thought.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So is everyone back in regular clothes? I'm actually down two pounds from the day of my surgery, but I'm kind of poofy, so I haven't tried anything but dresses or yoga type pants. I actually pulled out my maxi skirt today, which I thought I was going to be afraid to wear, but it's fine. I just have to roll it at the waist for stairs. I can't imagine getting into jeans though.
 
My biggest obstacle now is shoes! I am wearing dresses and pants but with our hot southern weather, my sandals don't look strange. But ?? I can't imagine what I'll wear to work next week.
For the remaining few days at our Jackson home, I'm still in gym clothes except when we go shopping or to lunch/dinner.

We have a wedding weekend during the middle of October and I'd bought my dress pre-op so hoping it will fit when I get home. Still no shoes to wear with it yet. Ugh.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've lived in a pair of sketches slip on flats for the summer. I'm looking forward to boot weather as I have a few really nice flat knee high.

@muckingabout. .I'm jealous you lost weight! I wonder had I been in my own home would I have managed better. Down 10lbs now so getting there..another 30 to go!
 
@muckingabout
Just getting caught up with your progress. I am glad to hear you are doing so well, even with the aspects are you not so happy with. Hair salons, pedicures and work...great stuff! Sleep is a hard one. I might consult my GP in a similar way as @beachgal suggests. Just as a way to take the edge off if needed. Our dog often wakes me up at night and can't always get back to sleep. Glad to read of all your extra walking and PT, as far as the leg lifts go, what happens if you just do 5 at a time. I have found that exercises that are harder for me I start with really low reps and then add just 1 more a day and before I know it I can achieve the desired amount. Just a thought, you are obviously doing fine. To answer your question about clothes, well I might not be the desired input due to being a guy and all, but I am slowly returning to long pants if needed. Fortunately for me, it is still quite warm here and shorts/t-shirt weather, I am really happy that my recovery mostly occurred during nice weather and lack of dealing with cold, rain and completely different set of clothes that would be needed. Shoes, I have been living in some running shoes with a drawstring style lace up. Be well and I hope you enjoy your evening
 
@muckingabout No kidding about the weather. Originally I was a little bummed about missing a great month like August, but soon saw all the advantages by healing in that time of year. You are so right, I think I would be petrified if I had to negotiate walking on any snow, slippery sidewalks or ice during the 1st part of recovery. Here's hoping that we will be zinging along well before wintry weather comes to town..even in Buffalo..ha ha. I hope I can say that, considering I am from Rochester and all. I actually miss WNY winters, it is in my blood
 
I had a really hard time with leg lifts and clamshells last time I tried. But I am about to head to the bedroom and try 'em again. It IS amazing how things that felt impossible a week ago are doable now. Another thing I've noticed is that walking feels easier and better after walking for awhile. Sort of the opposite of pre-surgery. @beachgal, doing it without a cane is unimaginable to me now, but I can see a near-future where it will feel good and natural! Thanks for the inspiration!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom