TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

I forgot to add that his rehab team handed me more pages of exercises to do. I thanked them and folded them neatly into my purse, where they’ll hibernate until I clean out said purse:rotfl:
What I dif find interesting is that the OS and I could see and agree that I can reach 90 degrees, but the PT measured 71. With the OS, I was sitting up , with my feet on the floor. The PT had me lying on my back, basically doing a heel slide.
So is it reasonable to assume physical positioning affects the measured amount of flexion? Twenty degrees is a huge difference....
I’m really starting to believe Physiotherapy is a career that should fade away and soon!:heehee:
 
What I dif find interesting is that the OS and I could see and agree that I can reach 90 degrees, but the PT measured 71. With the OS, I was sitting up , with my feet on the floor. The PT had me lying on my back, basically doing a heel slide.
So is it reasonable to assume physical positioning affects the measured amount of flexion? Twenty degrees is a huge difference....

When I’m laying down I can go 75-85. Sitting up I’m 55-75. I find laying down no hip pain or block so def makes a diff

Congrats on the progress and great appt! :loveshwr:
 
I can bend much better sitting on a chair, and pardon too much information, best sitting on a toilet as there are no chair legs to get in the way! :heehee:

My bend is actually pretty bad when I’m laying down, but then my knee has issues that time is not resolving.

I’m really starting to believe Physiotherapy is a career that should fade away and soon!:heehee:
I agree, most of us will do fine without them. After my personal experience with them, I will stay as far away from them as I can in the future
 
Hi! Mum's knee/leg is still very swollen and her ROM is 80 and -10. Can walk about with a single crutch and often without round the house. Sounds like you are having similar journeys!
 
@Mom2Lucy My knee also bends much better when sitting than when lying. I suppose that’s good because you perhaps more often need a bendy knee when you sit down. Interesting though about why it can be different - something to google.
 
My knee gets a good bend (90 to 100) every day when I sit at my desk top computer for 30 mins to and hour!!! I do that first thing in the morning to catch up on everthing: BoneSmart, email, news, Facebook.:banghead:
 
About your progress, I meant. I, too, bent better at a sitting position than lying on my back.
 
I know after the brutal PT appointment where he bent my leg back...twice! It took me 2 weeks to recover and set me back even further! You took a fall so I’m sure you’re knee is traumatized! Glad your doc said you’re ok.
 
Me too, @flsungirl , it was a huge relief to know that I haven’t done any real damage. Just sore and swollen, so I consider that a blessing. Storming and snowing here today, so I’m happy to take it easy. Hope you’re enjoying your first day off after returning to work!
 
I have a couple of questions.... has anyone tried using aspirin for it’s anti inflammatory abilities. I’m using Tylenol extra strength, and just wondered if alternating with aspirin would be helpful.
My second question is about the pool as I’m starting back there tomorrow to walk and do basic exercises in the water. Is it ok to sit in the hot tub? Or would its heat actually increase inflammation and swelling?
 
My surgeon discouraged use of a hot tub. I never made it as far in my initial recovery as you have, so I don't know how long the hot tub prohibition would have lasted. However, for clot prevention I was put on low dose aspirin after the original TKR, and meloxicam for anti inflammatory effect. Might be a question to pose to your surgeon. I'd love to be able to take some aspirin but my second (revision) surgeon does not want me to take any antiinflammatories yet. He says they can interfere with healing.
 
Any heat will cause your knee to swell at this early recovery stage. We definitely discourage it for at least three to four months.
 
:yes!:Made it to the pool this morning, felt so good to be back in the water. I lasted the 45 minute class time, although I could not do a lot of the moves. Kept in motion though, although sometimes barely moving. :heehee: The knee definitely had pain, but nothing like it would’ve been on land. Started to feel a little concerned at the 15 minute mark, and then decided to turn so I could not see the clock, lol. When it was over, I hated to get out and return to earth gravity. Going to go again Wednesday and Thursday this week.
 
How are you feeling today after the pool work? I found it left me really sore.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom