TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

My knee was heated with a heating pad for ten mins
You should never put a heating pad on a baby knee. It's ok on your calf or your thigh, but never on the knee. It causes extra swelling and inflammation.

I'm so glad you have a PT that listens to you. Keep up the good work!
 
@sistersinhim , I wondered about the use of the heating pad. He said it’s to warm up and loosen the muscles before the exercises. After the exercises are done I’m to ice.
 
Like sistersinhim said, it depends on where he puts the heat. Not directly on the knee.

I tried one of those heated rice bags on my knee once, oh my it hurt so bad, not just the heat, but the weight! I can’t remember how far post op I was. Another time I tried a heating pad underneath my thigh, and accidentally had it under my knee, and that hurt, too. That was the end of me trying heat!
 
Ok, everyone, and @Jockette , and @sistersinhim , I need some advice. I fell this evening! I was having a nap , and the fire alarm stared ringing in my apt building. In my haste to get out of bed , I lost my balance and fell on the floor beside my bed. Thankfully I did not go down onto my knees, but more landed on my a**. In the split second of falling, I remember thinking, oh no not my knee! And I think I landed with the right leg pretty much straight out.
It took me a long , tough effort to get myself back up to my feet ( I was alone when it happened, and my phone had also fallen out of my reach). Everything hurts now, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to move the knee off alignment without knowing it. There’s a lot of discomfort in that knee now, but I know I could have strained all the soft tissues too, trying to get up off the floor. I can walk on it, but it’s definitely tight and swollen.
All advice is much appreciated; I will call my surgeon’s clinic in the morning to let them know .
 
Oh no! A fall is one of our worst fears. :console2:

Call your surgeon and let them know you fell, but most likely it’s soft tissue “damage” to soft tissue already upset from the surgery. They may want you to come in for an X-ray just to be sure all is well.

Did you finally get out of your apartment? Was it just a fire drill or a false alarm?

I hope you’ll be able to relax and sleep tonight. :console2:
 
@Jockette , it was a false alarm , thankfully. I was very worried as I could hear neighbours out in the hall, and someone did knock loudly on the door. And there I am sprawled on the floor, yelling, “hello, hello, I’m stuck in here.” But they didn’t hear me. :sos:
Once I got myself up, I took my walker out into the hallway and one of my neighbours saw me and explained the false alarm.
I’ll be happy if I get a moment of sleep tonight after that commotion. :sigh:
Plus I have those weird nerve pains zapping my knee.
Thanks for checking back with me:)
 
Your implant is really tough, but not those poor soft tissues. When you fell, you jerked everything out of line and those tissues are yelling about it. It will take a week or so, more than likely, for them to settle down. Ice and elevate almost constantly until they calm down. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I fell on my new knee, with all weight when it was just a few weeks shy of being a year old. My hardware was fine, but not my software! It took weeks for those tissues to calm down. Don't be surprised if yours take at least that long.
 
Amazingly, I did actually sleep for about three hours, which is my norm lately. I was happy that the pain settled down, as did those zingers. This morning, I can walk on it, it’s achy and stiff, but it’s moving.
I have several areas that are a little sore this morning, but overall, I seem to be ok.:) :-) (:
 
Whew! Glad you’re ok!
Stupid false alarms. We live in an apartment for now. Haven’t had false alarms here. We’ve had several at our beach condo, though. Always in the middle of the night. It’s great to see what kind of bathrobes your neighbors wear, though. :loll:
Really glad you’re ok!
 
Thank you @beachy , I’m so relieved I am up and able to move around. Gave myself a heck of a scare.:shocked:
 
When I was in the week waiting period for my repair and revision I lost my balance transferring from chair to bed and for a few hideous seconds it looked like my husband and I were not going to able to recover and I was going down to the floor on my left side. I remember literally flapping around in thin air before thudding up against the arm of the wheelchair and being literally dragged onto the bed by hubs. I was left with big bruises on hip and both wrists as well as acute traumatic anxiety. I so empathize with your experience. It's like we have to train ourselves not to react immediately but instead to take a second to scan our bodies and environment before moving anything. I'm sending long, calming, and healing mental energy waves your way. :friends:
 
Hi everyone, and Thank you @Motherbone , how frightening it is to feel the falling motion. :shocked:
It’s been two days now, and I’m stiff and sore in so many places.
I called my surgeons office the morning after I fell, and was advised to take it easy for a few days. They weren’t terribly concerned, since I can walk and bear weight on the knee. I have an appt there on Nov 14 , for follow-up.
I also called the PT’s office, as this fall happened a few hours after I’d had my first physio appt, and also as my next physio was to be on Monday the 12th. I explained what had happened, and was hoping to have massage or tens, etc. They told me I was scheduled for exercise, and they had no time to do anything else, nor would they change me from an exercise appt to a different modality. So I cancelled that appointment, and booked a massage with my trusted chiropractors office. (I’d prefer to go there anyway, even though it means I have to pay rather than being covered by our health system. Stupid red tape in the health care industry)
Tonight I’m still more sore in the arms and shoulders, and my left leg and hip,from hauling myself up off the floor. The tkr knee has definitely lost some bend, but it is to be expected I guess.
Nothing like a setback to make one appreciate where they were at before, I sure wish I could turn the clock back to Wednesday and not have that fall!:chinstroke:
 
@Mom2Lucy, OMG......Well I guess just shows you that PT don't care......seems its all about their schedule not yours.....sounds like a money making, tick an flick. At least you know going forward to take them with a 'grain of salt' and take care of your own recovery:flwrysmile:. Hope its only a few days befire everything settles for you.
 
@Kiwigirl62 , I completely agree about the PT. That office is on the “approved list” so they bill our provincial health system for a patients visits. It definitely makes for a profitable clinic. And definitely nicer for a patient like me , since I don’t have to pay for my appointments there. However, I was shocked that they didn’t show a bit of concern that this fall happened about six hours after I’d been there. And they made no effort whatsoever to help me.
They may have lost me!
 
They told me I was scheduled for exercise, and they had no time to do anything else, nor would they change me from an exercise appt to a different modality.
This group does not care about their patients.
They may have lost me!
I hope you look elsewhere, you will probably be sorry if you stay with them. You don’t need a one size fits all approach because our knee doesn’t have a one size fits all recovery.
 
I'm sure more exercise instead of tens and massage would help your knee. What a ridiculous response from the pt office!
Rest that knee and the massage at chiro sounds great.
Feel better.
 
Thanks @beachy , last night I ordered a tens unit from Amazon. I think and hope it’ll be helpful, especially in the night. And as Canadian winter is getting underway, I’ll be happy to stay in and stay warm,lol, and treat my pain myself with the tens.
 
Back
Top Bottom