TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

So disappointing to hear of another crappy PT facility. But I’m a true believer that things happen for a reason. I’m thinking that you dodged the aggressive PT syndrome! I had a similar conversation with my PT and I’ve not been back!

I’ve not tried a tens unit so I’m anxious to hear your thoughts on it when you start. I did order a semi recumbent bike yesterday, I think I might like it or should I say I hope :snork:

I hope you’re taking it easy. I think cold snowy weather will help you in recovery by resting that knee. Just stay nice and bundled up. I still can’t seem to keep my darn feet from freezing. Another weird after effect from surgery.

Things will get better. I’m looking forward to 1 year from now and rejoicing with all my new knee replacement friends from around the world. :yes!:

Melanie :mooncat:
 
hey told me I was scheduled for exercise, and they had no time to do anything else, nor would they change me from an exercise appt to a different modality.
No flexibility at all. You don't need to go to a place like that! You're better off on your own.
 
Things will get better. I’m looking forward to 1 year from now and rejoicing with all my new knee replacement friends from around the world. :yes!:
Isn’t Bonesmart an awesome place where we’ve made new friends going through the same thing we are! :loveshwr:
 
I hope you enjoy the tens unit. I’m a big fan.

Is the PT place where you were going a big, corporate type place? You know, lots of therapists and multiple locations?
 
@beachy , I actually ordered the tens unit based on your positive experience with it! I had been considering getting one, but you became the deciding factor :thankyou:

And also after that fall on Wednesday I was longing for something to ease the pain in my arms and shoulders. Seemed like it was the right time to order one!

And your question about the physio place ....turns out it’s a once smaller place with only two locations that sold out to a big corporation. The corporation proudly proclaims to have 2500 physiotherapists in over 175 locations across Canada. Ka-ching, ka-ching, now I can just hear the money being counted!
 
That’s why I asked you about the PT place. That’s like the original place I was going to.

The owner of the new place stopped by the treatment room and introduced himself to me. He asked if I was the “4 week post op knee replacement” because he saw me walk down the hall and thought that it looked good. The walk....not me. I look like something the cat coughed up these days.

I said thank you for not making me feel like a loser and told him about my prior Pt experience. I asked him why his place is so different. He said the one I was going to has thousands of patients and as many therapists. He has 3 therapists all hand picked and he is on site all the time.

Moral of the story:
Bigger isn’t always better.

I’ve used my tens twice so far today. I hope you like yours! Let me know.
 
Hi all, I had a strange thing happen tonight. I was elevated and icing, and I moved my leg slightly. When I did, I suddenly got a vary sharp pain that felt just like the bone on bone I used to have. Then that pain left quickly, but my knee throbbed like it had a pulse. This didn’t last long either, the leg now aches from just at the knee down to the shin. And it has stiffened up more again.
Has anyone else experienced a similar occurrence? And does anyone know why this happened?
Thanks for any perspective you can offer. I’m very nervous that my falling on Wednesday has loosened something in the knee.
 
It may be that your leg twisted slightly as you moved it. New knees don't like that.
I'm glad the pain didn't last long.
 
Thanks @Celle ,
I seem to be better today, although still an achiness where the bone on bone sharp pain occurred last night. But I can walk on it, and have been doing very light housework today, without issues.
 
Even my knee that's over 2 years old doesn't like to be twisted. Be extra careful to not do that so your knee will yell at you! I'm glad you're better today!
 
Hi all, I’m a bit concerned tonight, my operated leg is getting very stiff again, and the pain has increased a lot. I have had a restful day as a result, as moving around has been too painful. Most of the pain seems to be at the area near the lower end of the incision, and also at the inner knee where I felt that “bone on bone “ sensation. I’m feeling very frustrated:flabber:
Scared I’ve injured something in those areas.
 
Given that the pain is increasing instead of fading, I think it might be a good idea to contact your surgeons office and report what you are experiencing.
 
I just reviewed your posts over the past week and noticed you reported having a follow up appointment on November 14, which is tomorrow. Make sure you let them know the pain is getting worse, not better. Let us know what they say.:console2:
 
Yes, I do have my six week follow up tomorrow, so I’m hoping my OS will be patient and listen to my concerns about the fall I had. And hopefully do an X-ray. I just wondered if people who’ve fallen after having had a surgery find the pain and swelling increases days after the fall.
I’ve fallen numerous times over the past years, but this is the first time post-surgery.
 
At only 6 weeks post op, your soft tissues are still quite upset from the surgery. Falling will upset them further, they are so fragile right now.

My surgeon took X-rays at every check up, so hopefully yours will take an X-ray tomorrow.
 
Please let us know what your doctor says. I believe it's normal that you are feeling increased pain and swelling after your fall. But, your OS will know best.
 
@sistersinhim , I’m happy to say I had a very positive appointment with my OS. Xrays were done, which showed no damage to the bones, although my kneecap has moved slightly to the left. He said it’s so minimal that it’s of no concern, and may actually shift back as healing continues.
I was thrilled he did not touch my knee or leg at all, such a relief.He had me lift my leg upward and forward from a sitting position, and then show him how far I can bend it back. He said he could see I’m at 90 for flexion, so all good, and was pleased at how far I can extend my leg. Said everything looks good at this point, especially after having a fall. I see him next on Jan 10.
Then I was sent to see a member of his rehab team, who was also very compassionate and did not try to bend or touch my leg in any way. Phew! She did measure 0/71. (I was at 61 last visit so not too bad).
All in all, I’m a happy camper tonight:yes!:
 
The main thing is you can go forward knowing your knee is in good working order. You don’t have to be scared and can just rest, elevate, ice and let your soft tissues settle down. I hope you soon have less pain. :console2:
 
What a good appointment you had! Your OS is very reasonable as is your PT. That's a win win situation! Yay!
 
Back
Top Bottom