TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

@sistersinhim , I feel I had more swelling last night and today, but the pain level did not particularly increase. Mind you, I was in an aqua fit class, not PT . I’m in a small town where the few PTs do not have hydrotherapy available. So I was doing my own thing. I certainly noticed how limited my bend is, even in water. I was careful to not push myself. I’m going again tomorrow, after taking it easy today. I did have the best uninterrupted sleep since pre-surgery, more than six hours, that made me very happy !
 
You’ve still got swelling going on inside the knee, so no surprise that it’s still not reached a much better bend. The aqua exercise sounds relaxing and useful. I didn’t return to the pool until six months had passed, but once I did my legs really enjoyed the water work. Taking a day off in-between sessions is smart because it allows the knee to let you know if what you did was too much or just enough.

Good sleep makes all things recovery so much better!
 
Hi all, I’m happy to say I went to the pool again today, and not suffering any ill effects. I was concerned about going again so soon, as I also went yesterday, but I couldn’t resist the lack of gravity:heehee:

In fact, I’m so encouraged by this that I cancelled tomorrow’s physio, told them I’ll call to rebook (which is code for I’m not planning to call ever....)

Tomorrow I’m seeing my chiropractor as I feel an alignment is needed after that fall I had, then I’m convinced the pool is my true friend in healing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the American Bone Smarties!
 
Woohoo!!! :swim:

So glad you found something that is working AND you enjoy! I can’t wait to get back in the pool and back to my 2km/day swims.

With your tuneup tomorrow you will be in great shape for some true comfy rest on the weekend hopefully!
 
Great news that the pool is helping!I
I had to reschedule my post op appt to Dec 3 ( still haven't had one) and hope I get clearance to start PT in pool.
 
@beachy, I hope you’ll get that pool clearance too, it feels so good to get rid of gravity when you’re trying to do some exercising/stretching. I made it there three times this week, and that combined with a chiropractic adjustment yesterday has already helped me feel better, both physically and mentally.
 
The pool sounds heavenly!
I need to get to chiro, too. My lower left back is as bad as knee. Did the adjustment bother your knee? I've been like a pretzel on the table for some adjustments pre op. Not sure if I could lay on stomach with the knee.
I'm making acupuncture appointments tomorrow for back and knee pain and whatever else he wants to do. You know how you tell the acupuncturist that your back hurts so they stick a needle in your ear or something. Fascinating!
 
Hi @beachy, my adjustment this time was done with me sitting up. Usually I’m lying face down, but we decided not to do that this time, because of the pressure on the knee. When she worked on my right foot , she got down on the floor, bless her. It helped a lot, but next time I’m going to try lying down, if I can work up my courage lol.

My adjustments are 99.0 percent done with that handy adjuster tool that they hold in their hands. One time, I tried a chiro who does the active release method, omg, it was like being beaten up by a wrestler. Never again:censored::bignono:

I have great results from acupuncture, and I have an appointment for that on December 04. It’ll be different though, I’m used to traditional Chinese acupuncture, and this one is medical acupuncture. Should be interesting.

I also find it fascinating how the body is connected in ways we would not imagine.Such a complex instrument!
 
I've never had an adjustment tool. Although, there are some tools out there that need an adjustment LOL.
I actually like the active release. It's weird at first, but if you take a deep yoga breath and exhale at the adjustment it works for me.
I hear ya about lying face down. Makes me :yikes:.

My acupuncturist is not Chinese, but he practices traditional Chinese method.
I'll keep you posted and vice versa.
 
Happy to report I took a short drive today, with a brave friend as a passenger, lol. It was likely about 8 or 10 minutes, my friend took over from there. I found the toughest part was getting in and out of the car, ideally my legs would work better if there were about 3 inches shorter. I don’t know how taller people do it. I guess my bend has a long ways to go yet..... I’m 5’8 and drive a Toyota Camry. I’ve always wanted more leg room, and now I really want that, lol. Not sure when a different vehicle will be in my life, but all suggestions are welcome, as to what you all like to drive. So far the vehicle with the best leg room was a van, but I really don’t wish to have such a big vehicle. :driver:
 
I'm shorter than you but still find it really hard getting in the car ! glad you managed it though. Makes all the difference to your independence and 'getting back to normal' .. whatever that is!
 
Where your knee is now is not where it will end up. You will be able to bend normally to get in the car, in time.

I started back to the chiropractor at 4 weeks post op and I was able to lay face down, my knee handled it fine.

My current chiropractor uses that activator tool only.

The chiropractor I had when I lived in Ohio used that, too, and she used hands on manipulation. She was the best, ever! She had a gentle, nurturing touch and a sweet personality. When I moved to Delaware, she was the hardest person to leave! I’ve started seeing her again when I’m visiting my kids in Ohio. The first time I did, she was so excited to see me, it made me feel so happy. When I got my wallet out to pay, she said, you put that away! How many chiropractors are like that! I just love her.
 
Hi all, after driving myself this past week, short little trips within town, I have to say my pain level has shot up considerably. I’m thinking this is the stress of getting in and out of the car, as well as the actual driving. As the week progressed, I foolishly added more than one errand to the trip, and got in and out of the car two or three times. Ended up in major pain yesterday. I’m almost two months out, is this ”normal”.......
Feeling frustrated and wondering what I should do, as the left, non operated knee, is also now hurting plenty as well. I was hoping December would be more enjoyable , but it’s starting out with a big whimper:boohoo:
 
It's been "normal" for me. Don't know if that makes it normal for all. What is normal anymore? :heehee: I went to ODIC on Thursday. I &E constantly last 2 days. And taking small doses of oxy plus xtra strength Tylenol. Feeling better this morning. Right knee (non operated) is complaining too. Can you stay off it and I&E for a while?
I was hoping for better progress as I approach 8 weeks out on Thurs.

I think it's a temporary thing as we both stressed our new knee.
12 month recovery remember. It feels like its taking forever, but we're still in the early days. We want to do things that have been put on hold, but the knee isn't ready. If you continue to have pain call your doc.

My first OS appt is Monday. I'll mention these last few days and see what he says. My gut tells me I did too much on Thursday. My brain tells the same :snork:
 
I think it's a temporary thing as we both stressed our new knee.
12 month recovery remember. It feels like its taking forever, but we're still in the early days. We want to do things that have been put on hold, but the knee isn't ready.
Yes!
 
Not sure how the day will go, but at least a lot of the pain eased overnight. Right knee still feels thick and in a vise. Sighhhhh, feels like this will never end. When I think of trying to go back to work, I wonder if I’ll be able to successfully do it.....:beg:

@beachy , I’m so impressed you still have some oxy. My OS didn’t want to prescribe more than one Rx of five days worth....although he did cave and let me refill it once, lol. That was way back, the first two weeks after the surgery.

I do the extra strength Tylenol regime along with occasionally taking a non Rx muscle relaxant (Robaxacet).
Still using I and E constantly through the day and night, too.

Today will have to be a very quiet day, I think.:sad:
 
I called for a refill last week. I don't use it that much except for lately. PA told me they don't refill same med after 8 weeks. Ok, umm, I was 7 weeks at that point. She was confused, thought I was 8 weeks + and thought I wanted dilaudid. We really have to be our own advocate, don't we? If I hadn't corrected her I wouldn't have gotten the oxy.
They have been very good with refilling meds
 
The first few months of recovery can be irregular. What doesn’t seem to bother the knee one day... might bother it the next day. Nearly anything, it seems, can cause the new knee to swell. Sleeping in a “not perfect enough” position did it for me. So did sitting too long at the dining room table playing a two-hour-long game of Defenders of the Realm. Your knee will have its own eccentricities.

A mantra that helped me a lot in the first months was “This, too, shall pass.” It always did. Thank goodness!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom