TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

Thank you @SusieShoes , your comment about sitting at the dining room table hit home, as yesterday I sat wrapping Christmas presents. That added to my already swollen leg, as this morning I woke up with a visible lump of swelling near the ankle. So frustrating as I had a 9a.m. aqua fit class; I didn’t go, as back to icing and elevating this morning. Hoping I can get to the pool this afternoon.
 
Hi all, I had a great acupuncture session this morning; different from the my usual traditional Chinese acupuncture sessions, which I love.
This one was described as more medical, and the chiropractor doing the treatment concentrated only on my right knee and ankle. He was concerned at the amount of swelling and pain. He did the electrical stimulus type( which I’ve had with the TCM , in the past).
He was very good at explaining what he was doing, and why, and I always appreciate when any health professional is willing to share that with me.
Interesting that he told me of all the modalities he uses, knee patients respond best to acupuncture.
 
@beachy, I felt pretty good , I generally do well with acupuncture. His technique was different than the acupuncturist I used to see. My bend was much better for a few hours. Then unfortunately, I had to do a couple of unforeseen errands, and getting in and out of the car ramped up the pain. Now relaxing with an ice pack, and the pain has dropped off so much, I am much happier.
I’m having another session on Thursday. He advised me he’s bringing longer needles.... I think that was maybe his gentle way of suggesting my legs are so heavy:rotfl:.

Oh , almost forgot, my TENS unit finally arrived. Took forever, due to Canada Post having a rotating strike, grrr. So, I have yet to try it, but I’ll let you know. Might even have a go at it tomorrow.
 
I have to make an appointment!!!! Why do I keep forgetting?

I hope you like the tens unit. Let us know how it works for you. I have no idea if it's a long term effect thing, but it's nice after for awhile. What kind did you get!

I'm icing right now with the tens unit. Double whammy! I didn't use it for a week. Forgot about it and just pulled it out this morning.
They always do that in pt combining tens with ice pack. First time I tried the combo at home. And I took an oxycodone. Just 1....5 mg.
I was on my feet for a few hrs this morning then it hit me. Up for 2 hrs, down for 1 hr. Groundhog day.
 
If it's any help or consolation yesterday was three months for me and the first time I lived without a pain pill. Only in the last 3 or 4 days have I started to feel somewhat normal. I'm leaving the cane home more and more when I go out and about for a day of shopping doesn't slammed me into the bed for 3 Days.
Finally!!!
Hang in there!!
 
@beachy , this is the tens unit, I thought I'd try a rechargeable style. Haven't tried it yet, thanks for the tip about the double whammy with ice.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread
    IMG_20181205_104436.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 133
Thank you @cherterr , I long for a day of shopping, I’d settle for a half day even, lol.i see you’re about a month ahead of me, so that does give me hope that the next few weeks will bring more positive progress.:fingersx:
 
Sorry, @beachy , I see my photo did not do well, lol. I had to keep trying to resize it . The tens unit is a brand called Gvento, I went with it as it’s rechargeable and the price was good for a beginner like me.
 
Your pic was fine. It looks like mine just a different brand. Mine is electric. It's electric! Boogy oogy oogy! Everybody dance.
Sorry .80's electric slide flash back :rotfl:.

I'm so hoping that a whole day of out and about happens at 12 weeks!
 
I feel like a dummy! Apparently my tens is rechargeable too!
Just a few minutes ago my phone rang and it wasn't near me. Of course I'm icing with ice machine and tens. I unplugged the tens unit from power source to take off electrodes and it continued to pulse. Surprise! Guess I should read the instructions.
 
@beachy, I tried out my tens unit, think I’m going to like it! I did manage to buy one though, that has virtually every description of what to do in Asian script, lol So this will be a bit of trial and error to see what settings I like the best.
I was reading your post about how much better your knee feels,and I wish I was progressing as well as you have. I still have a lot of swelling and discomfort. I’m sorry about you being sick. Hope it clears up soon ...
 
I hate when the instructions are like that. And teeny tiny little print!
I use mine every day. Honestly don’t know if it’s making a difference.
I’ve had a little tightness lately, but walking around helps. I’m on dog walking duty now that hubs is down and it does help the tightness.
Thanks for the well wishes! Today had been better for me.
 
Hi everyone, I’m wondering if anyone else on here has had this feeling and if it’s just “normal”healing.... When I bend my knee(for example , putting my foot on the floor from my bed), I get a pulling or tugging sensation...not painful, just strange.... like a zipper being pulled down, or a bandaid being pulled off. I still have a lot of swelling and that thick feeling.
I don’t know if to be alarmed or just consider this to be another odd feeling in the healing process.:what:
 
Ooooh yes!
Every day and in 3 different places. Some days more extreme than others. Everyone on my treatment team says perfectly normal. They are happening to a less degree lately.
 
I’m relieved to hear that, @traceys , I feel like the swelling and this tugging sensation has increased since I started driving.Maybe from getting myself in and out of the car. I only drive a few minutes at a time, do you find you’re feeling worse after using your vehicle?
 
It could be the angle of your leg in the car, I had an awful time getting my operated leg into a comfortable position when I was driving. And it was my left leg! And yes, getting in and out of the car was hard for months!
 
I don’t drive but I notice it going from elevated to down and then trying to bend it in general. Days my quads were really used are way worse. I find it I quickly masssage it the muscles relax and the feeling is way less
 
I thought driving again would be great, but frankly it’s annoying me, lol.
 
I was very nervous about driving again. You know how early in recovery when we first start going out, and we’re afraid someone will bump into us? Well that’s how I felt driving. That a car would come too close. Silly, but true! I didn’t drive for 11 weeks, and that was only because something came up that I had to.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom