Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mister's 2nd knee

Yes, it is such a relief to get the staples out! I wonder why some do staples and others do glue, or a different suture.

I may try to go to pt without pain med and see how it goes, maybe I will be surprised.
 
Next hurdle is getting off the walker. I think this is about the same time I got off the walker on the first knee. But, my other knee is hurting some, taking on the weight of the new knee, so I think I'll wait. Just not sure if I feel stable enough yet. Pt assures me that it's ok, to just do it when I feel ready.
 
There's no need to rush to get off the walker. If you feel it's helping, keep using it. You'll move to something else when you feel the time is right.
 
While walking with the walker, you can also easily work on your gait.
 
@Mister - Congrats on getting your staples out. It sounds like you are making terrific progress! And I agree with your PT to move off the walker when you're ready. Given how long this recovery is, there's no reason to rush anything if we're not ready for it.

I had a neighbor tell me when I was walking outside that he thinks I'm ready to give up my cane. I thought it was funny that he thought he could tell if I was ready or not to give it up.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Mister - Our neighbor is very nice, but he always has an opinion on everything.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I forgot to say that my OS said he is happy when you get 90 at 6wks, but that pt wants it sooner. I have a great pt, but that is so true.
I'm so happy I'm off the oxycodone, I know this is tmi but the constipation was almost worse than the surgery. So I think the change in pain meds will help, or I really hope so!
 
Hi mister! I just found and caught up with your thread. I am having my 2nd tkr in a few weeks and it is very encouraging to read how well you are doing. My first recovery went very well, and I have been nervous about the next one. Best wishes on a continued good recovery.
 
Great progress Mister! It's always so challenging when the PT and OS see things differently. My OS wanted more at 6 wks and my PT could care less about ROM targets. I'm glad to have BoneSmart to keep me balanced.
 
It's really strange how everyone of the healthcare providers have their own idea of how it's supposed to in recovery from this surgery. I listened to no one but my knee!
 
@sistersinhim you have the perfect attitude. You listen to your knee and no one else, which is really hard for me to do.
You're a real encouragement to all of us.
@kmak81230 wow, that is different, normally it's the pt that are all about the numbers. You're right, there are so many differing opinions, which makes it hard on the patient. Sometimes they sure don't make it easy on
us!
@sandi4213 with the way my other knee behaved, I feel very blessed to have had a great recovery so far. I wasn't sure if it was good or bad knowing how it would be, but I've found it's really been very beneficial. I don't know about you, but I have a great surgeon, but who gave me zero preparation for what was to come. Most all my information came from this site, which I am so grateful for. But, it's still not the same as going through it yourself. The tips and encouragement have been amazing though.
It sounds like you are prepared and ready to go. I'm sure you will have a great recovery. I'll keep an eye out for your thread. :flwrysmile:
 
I do have a great surgeon that also didn't prepare me. Bonesmart has been a lifesaver. There are so many that have encouraged, answered questions, and kept me in line.
 
ahhh Mister, do i know what you mean about the constipation resulting in terrible gas pains, worse than the knee pain...and then to alleviate the constipation you have to take something else, in my case Senecot which led to diarrhea. that was the breaking point for me when i quit all the meds at the 3 week mark. i'm glad you were able to stop the oxycodone; it might take awhile to leave your system. i found that eating a few pieces of natural black liquorice helped with the constipation ~ the liquorice came in small pieces; i would eat 8 at the most, usually just 4 small pieces. the nice thing was that it helped and also i like the taste (reminds me of Sambuca lol).:beer: i don't need to take it anymore. continue to do what you're doing ~ you sound stronger every day.:flwrysmile:
 
@liam2015 its funny about the constipation (not really, it sucks). But what's funny is I got all excited about going by myself today :heehee: I was so excited, I told my husband, I'm sure he thought I was crazy. You know it's the little things in life, or maybe in our case, the big things in life. :snork:
 
Hi Mister, just caught up with your thread, you are 9 days ahead of me, today is Day 13 for me. Sounds like you are doing well with PT. I had to take a break, found that it was causing too much swelling. I have a CPM at my disposal and have just resumed using it but I'm at 73-68 for left and right knee.
I had a giggle at your TMI post. I've had things pretty well under control with stewed prunes and a stool softener but the other day I treated my family car givers to takeout Thai for dinner. As always there leftovers so we had Thai for lunch as well. That triggered an unbelievable IG attack ! Un....be....lieevvvable! I wasn't in pain, but the emissions ! Combine that with icing and elevating and needing a duvet for warmth, when I got out of bed - my poor family - they needed gas masks.
 
@nensi -you gave me a good laugh too!
Yes, I've had good luck with my pt, if I tell him to stop, he stops. It helps that he has been with me through the whole ordeal with my other knee. He knows I work hard, but if I say stop, he knows I really need to stop.
Sounds like your numbers are still good at this point in your recovery. Was your pt good? If not I would suggest you find another one.
It sounds like you are icing and elevating so that's good. I do it several times a day, but I go to sleep with my ice machine at night and elevating with my pillows. For me it seems to make a big difference. You're doing great, just keep icing, elevating, resting and keep moving and exercising. Also, I'm so much better than last week, so you will continue to get better. Did you have both done at same time?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom