Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mister's 2nd knee

lol @Mister ~ your hubby was probably charming everyone while you were working hard in physio. he sounds like a very cool and sweet guy.:smile2:
 
@liam2015 well, I kidded him that he was going to become a pt. After all my exercises, I would go out to the machines and he would adjust them all for me and remind me which ones to go to next.
He really is a great guy, it is hard on the caretaker too. I may work too hard getting more independent to take more burden off of him. He's so worried about me. When I sleep in the recliner, he sleeps on the couch in case I need him, although I still need help going to bathroom at night. That's one reason I want to sleep in our bed so he can too.
 
I love it!! Nice fresh ice!

I had two leg elevators. One set up on my bed and one set up on my recliner. The same with ice machines. I was back and forth all day and night the first few weeks. Being single, I had to think ahead all the time.
 
@sistersinhim i wished I'd thought about the leg lifters. I didn't have problems with my quads not firing on last knee but do this time. Probably by the time I ordered one, it would be working :chinstroke:
 
I had two because I didn't want to have to switch things up in the middle of the night. It's hard to carry stuff when you're on a walker!
 
@Mister, your hubby and mine sound like twins. How lucky are we? Very, lol.

I actually had 3 sleeping *nests*, spare bedroom (softer bed), sofa and recliner. I left pillows in place for the leg on all of them. I used a dog leash and/or a bathrobe tie for leg lifters, depending on where I was during the night. I was a nomad, so could be anywhere, lol. I think the only place I didn't have a sleep camp was outdoors on my back deck, but, now that I think of it, it might've been very nice, hahaha.

Like you, I worried about my husband's rest. He really worked like a dog during the first 3 weeks. The whole business of chauffeuring, cooking, cleaning, cheerleading, laundry, dog care, food shopping, along with his *paying job,* and lack of sleep was taking a toll. He's not a kid, ya know? But, every time I expressed my concerns to him, he just told me "Don't worry, I can handle it. It seems like he was right; phew! He's also a very naturally funny guy and somehow made me laugh each day. Now that's a job after TKR, eh?
 
The way I look at it, your hubbies were just paying you back for the jobs that you normally do. I bet now they have a new appreciation for your 'housewife' duties! But, you are some blessed ladies to have the care you have had!
 
@sistersinhim that was a smart thing to do, and like @Pheebs52 yours is smart too! 3 different places?? That's really thinking! That's a suberb idea, that never crossed my mind at all. I guess I thought I would just stay in one place for a certain amount of time, then move to the next place, no need for multiples, right? It would have been so much easier on myself and my husband if I thought of that.
Live and learn, so happy I don't have more than 2 knees though :yikes:
 
@sistersinhim im sure we have done things for them also. And they know if it was them, that we would be doing what they are doing now.
But, we are still very blessed to have someone who is so caring by our side, that's for sure!
 
@Mister, I know I'd definitely provide good care to Mistah if the knee were his, but...would I be able to do it with his patience, graciousness and general good humor? Somehow I think I'd be just a wee bit grouchier, lol! Besides, I don't cook, (so he says) so he'd definitely want to improve FAST just to have a decent meal.

@sistersinhim, we've pretty much always had a very democratic marriage where household stuff was mostly shared. Perhaps not always 50/50, but in the end, it's all worked out. I don't think we could have remained together happily for 43 years had it not been this way.

The only aspect of house duty that was a learning experience for hubs was laundry. I just never liked the idea of him washing/drying my clothes....thought he'd ruin them. How silly, since he's done a great job over the last 5 weeks. So, now we can share that as well.:SUNsmile:
 
You two, all the others, that have husbands taking over the household duties, how blessed you are. In my marriage I didn't have a husband who shared in the housework. I worked a 40+ hour week and still had all the wifely duties to do. That's one of the reasons I'm not married today.
 
@Pheebs52
My husband did have heart surgery a long time back, so maybe I didn't do too bad taking care of him. I still bet it wasn't as good though.
And my husband is one of these that can't sit down and do nothing (I don't have that problem). So for that reason, he's always known how to do things. But, alas we are very blessed!
 
@sistersinhim You're right, you're never too old to find the right one. And you deserve the best!
After your knees are done, you'll be able to do all the things you want to do and will find someone to do them with.
 
One day, when the time is right and the knees, ankle and foot are fixed...!
 
Well, i overdid it on Saturday, we had the grand baby over for a few hrs. My husband did most of the work, like chasing him all over the house, lol. He's 10mos and definitely on the go. I guess I did more than I thought I did, although never got on the floor, don't think that would have been a great idea.

So, Sunday I was in pain and couldn't sleep well. I still did my gentle exercises, but rested for the most part.

It's only been 2 wks tomorrow since surgery but it's funny because sometimes it feels like it's been forever and sometimes like I just got out surgery.
But, looking back, I have come so far. My strength is starting to return, I could finally do leg lifts today, at pt, first time since surgery. I feel so much stronger now. Today at pt, my bend went from 72 to 76. I don't use the brace anymore. I'm still on walker, I think by next week, ill probably be off that too. But, I still have a lot of energy drain so still napping.
My husband says that I'm walking good also. Still have pain, but it has lessened so I've been able to cut down my oxycodon from every 4hrs to every 5hrs. Not sure I need it at 5hrs, but don't want to cut down too soon.
Husband has been off work to stay home with me, but today started back part time and I was fine by myself.

Getting better every day :happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom