Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mister's 2nd knee

Well, it's been a tough few days. Been in a lot of pain, I guess you take the good with the bad.
I truly have nothing to complain about, my recovery so far has been amazing, and I'm coming up on the 4wk mark on Wednesday, so have a ways to go.
My Rom is at 92 and I'm transitioning to the cane. I'm truly blessed.
 
Sorry about the extra pain the last few days. You have a good attitude, though, and should start seeing more progress. It seemed that after the 4th week every week brought something new that I could do. Not counting the odd day when I went backwards :gaah:Here's to a great week ahead. :spin:
 
Soory to hear about increased pain @Mister.....any idea what brought it on? Too much activity, too few meds or just the luck of the draw? I really hope today is better!:friends:

I can't believe you are already 4 weeks post-op! How did that happen? I seem to live in a strange time warp since my surgery and the weeks just whiz by! I found a lot of improvement with pain at the end of 4 weeks. In fact, that's when I started slowly weaning myself off the Oxycodone, slowly being the key word. My goal was to drive again at 5 weeks and that worked out very well.
 
@Pheebs52 - not for sure why the increase in pain, but a couple of things have changed. I have changed from oxycodone 10mg to Percocet 5/325. And on Monday I started using a cane.
I'm also still using my cpm, which they will pick up this week.
My other knee is really hurting also. Pt and OS thinks it's because of taking some of the load of new knee. I think for that knee, it's a combination of taking more of the load and using a brace a couple of times a day on it.
OS ordered me a brace to try to get better straightening on old knee, I only us it 30min 3x a day. I have decided to stop using the brace for now to see if that is what's causing pain in that knee.

I was going to try to go back to work next week part time, but with both hurting I don't think I could handle it yet. My Pt said to back off of exercise for a couple of days. I am still using cpm though, until they pick it up this week. We'll get it worked out though, but I'm really thinking it's the change in pain meds.

I can't believe it's been 4wks either, it's flown by. I think partly because we're consumed by the knee, it can really be a full time job!
 
It's always hard to tell when you have many changes at once. I'm a scientist and statistician - doing root cause analysis is a methodical process, involving designed experiments and measuring responses (pain scale). Let's just be glad I'm not your DH, you might become my next experiment!
Just kidding, but I think it was a good idea to back off from starting to work, you have enough on your plate right now.
 
You might be onto something with the brace. Anything that changes the way your knee moves or aligns is a suspect. At least you can rule it out by not wearing it for a few days. And backing off exercise is also a good idea. What a shame your original knee is acting up this way, though it seems to happen quite often. You sound ready to go back to work and get back to that part of your life.
 
Well, it's most likely a combination of chopping the meds in half and using that brace for 90 minutes a day. Even if it's done in 3, separate, 30 minutes sessions, it adds up to a lot of time using all those leg muscles differently. I'm glad you've decided to ditch the brace for now, the exercises, and have changed your mind about going back to work so early. Four weeks really IS early to get back to work, though your brain might say otherwise. The brain just can't be trusted right now! So, take it easy, ice it up, rest and just see what the next few days bring. My guess is they will bring good things.:egypdance:
 
I agree with Pheebs that it's a combination of everything. Good call on holding back on going back to work. Neither knee is ready yet.
 
You made a good decision to hold off on work for a while. If you give your knees the time they need, you will reap the rewards.
 
Well, had a great day. Both knees were so much better today. I changed up my meds. I had some leftover from previous surgery, so what I did was make sure I took them on time and took the Percocet 5/325 at one dosage and the next dosage was oxycodone 10mg with 500 mg Tylenol. I think that helped tremendously, along with no brace and cutting down on exercises, yea :happydance:
Had pt today and rom was 95 and -6. But, the best part was I went all the way around on the bike!!! My pt said he wasn't sure I had enough rom to go around but wanted me to try. He and I were both shocked when I was able to, we were both grinning.
It's funny how things can change so much from day to day.
Pt said keep doing what I'm doing cause it's working.
Everyone was right, thanks for all the encouragement and letting me vent, your the best.:loveshwr:
 
that's fantastic Mister, full rotation on the bike. yes, keep doing whatever you're doing ~ it definitely is working.
 
Whoohoo! How exciting to get those pedals going all the way around! Even better, you're managing your pain and getting back to being comfortable. Now, don't change a thing, eh? :wink:
 
I had pt today and it went great. Walking on cane is good and I foresee ditching that in a couple of weeks. New knee finally getting stronger.
Got a little bit more rom too. But, I'm still excited about being able to ride the bike. They came and got cpm machine yesterday, so I could probably warm up with the bike.
I think we're going out of town and go antique shopping tomorrow. I probably won't go in some of them, but my husband can and if he finds something I could go in and check it out. I think it will just be good to get out and do something normal, even if I have to modify it some.
Pheebs had a great idea to exercise by walking in Home Depot. She walked 45 minutes and I think that's a great idea. I think I'm going to try it next week.
 
You are improving nicely! Get out and have fun tomorrow.
 
Sounds as though you are making excellent progress Mister!!! Keep up the good work - or good rest, whichever is better for you.
 
Saturday was so fun, of course I absolutely over did it. We left at 9 and got home at 7. Whew, a long day, but it was so beautiful and I haven't been getting out much so it was so nice.

My pt is on vacation, so I saw his colleague yesterday. It was going pretty good until he started to massage around my knee and thigh muscles, he said they were tight. I told him it hurt and he kept on, I told him again and he did tone it down some. I should have told him to stop, but I didn't. Well, this morning it really hurt. I go Thursday and I will tell him he will not be doing that again!
I still have pt 3x next week and probably will be released. I think I will go back to work part time next week. Since having both knees done this yr, I'm running low on time. I think it will do me good, it's a desk job, so I will have to make sure and get my walking in, or I'll stiffen up.
Hope everyone is doing great!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom