Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mister's 2nd knee

Went back to work part time today and it went well. My first tkr hurts more than new one, so iced it all morning under my desk. Not much pain in either knee today though.
With my first tkr in January, I thought I would die going back to work, I was so exhausted. This time, I'm tired but not bad at all.
Had pt after work and I did really well, my bend is 101 and straightening is -6. Straightening isn't great but I have confidence in time it will get better.
See OS tomorrow, he's going to do ex-ray in new knee and since I've actually been having more pain in old knee I'm going to have him ex-ray it also. They really think it's caused by doing more because of the new knee.
And another milestone, pt says if I want I can do away with the cane.
So all in all a great day. :egypdance:
 
good for you Mister, getting through a part time day at work, and then you went to pt after. you must be happy with your r.o.m. and not needing your cane. a few milestones today.:yes!:
 
What good news you have for us today! Yippee, getting back to normal. I imagine you old knee has been taking on more of the weight and responsibilities and is now upset.
 
Went to OS today and he took X-rays of both knees and they look great. Said like we all thought, that first knee is having to work harder and doesn't like it. He's happy with my progress and so am I.
I asked about pt and said that he would leave it up to pt when he thought I was ready to be discharged.
So far things are going good.
 
It sounds like you are doing great! I'm impressed that you are able to go back to work already. Take good care of yourself.
 
Whoohoo @Mister! This has been a a day of milestones fro you! I'm so glad returning to work part-time went well! Ditching the cane is also major, so congratulations on all fronts! :happydance: I'm sure the first new knee will be a bit stressed until the newest knee is more healed. You're doing so well this time, and that has to be such a relief!:SUNsmile:
 
It IS such a huge relief that it's gone so well this time around! Not that there isn't any downs this time, of course there is, but now I know how blessed I am to be having such a great recovery.

It's been such a tough 7mo for me and it just feels good to finally be on the road to recovery for BOTH knees.
This surgery is filled with so many ups and downs, but when we get to the end, look at what we'll have, our lives back :yahoo:
@Pheebs52 I know the pt says I can do away with the cane, but I'm finding in certain situations I still feel like I need it. So, I don't think I'm going to completely ditch it yet. But, you know what, that's ok!
 
Congrats, @Mister, on your return to work. Are you also doing household tasks and meal prep, or do you have help from your Mister mister? You are inspiring me for my hoped for reeentry in September.
I have only occasionally looked at my emails. It is very slow now, vacation period in Europe is loooooooong, so there is not much going on. But in September it roars back !
 
@Mister, there's nothing wrong with using the cane as needed! The entire process of becoming appliance free really doesn't happen all at once, at least it didn't for me. For instance, at 10 weeks post-op, I still need it to climb stairs, but that's mostly due to a weak gluteal muscle on my THR side....really has nothing to do with the TKR leg. I also bring it on outdoor walks or shopping forays, *just in case.* I don't seem to need it then, but I like having it available. Walking on trails in the woods, I do use it and am very glad to have it. So, use it at your own discretion and don't feel badly about it whatsoever.:SUNsmile:

You've had such a l-o-n-g stretch of recovery and so many procedures so it's wonderful to see how well you are finally doing; huzzah!:SUNsmile: Your story is inspirational for all of us, especially those of us who might need an MUA or most definitely will need another knee done. That actually encompasses a LOT of people here, self included. You rock!:yes!:
 
Good news then. Super!
Re using a cane: I'm at 9weeks and if Iknow a distance will be more than say...150meters, I'll use my trekking sticks. Mostly because I limp less (still) using them. PT said to use them at my discretion. I should know when I need them.
 
How wonderful you're having such a great recovery! As for the cane, use it without shame. Your confidence and stability are the most important things. I couldn't wait to ditch the walker for the cane, but I was slower to ditch the cane. I still carry mine with me when taking walks, and I keep one in the car just in case. For a long time, I kept mine upstairs at night for midnight bathroom trips. You see, my knees were extra stiff at night and I liked the extra support from the cane. So use it until you start forgetting it and realize you aren't using it anymore.
 
Agree with all those before me - you are doing awesome! I still use the cane on occasion. Longer walks to ensure good walking form, or if I am in unfamiliar territory with different terrain. It is good to have in the car in case you need it. It see it as helpful and not as a sign of weakness.
 
@nensi I'm doing some chores and helping out with some meals but I don't do much with the meals, thank goodness my husband does the cooking. I do the cleaning and I like it so much better than cooking, so I've been doing that. So far it hasn't been too hard on my knees.

@Pheebs52 - thanks so much for the kind words. I pray that I can inspire someone to know all is not lost if you have to have an mua. It really can have a good outcome.

@SusieShoes - I totally know when I need to use the cane. When I'm outside walking, it's a must. I also use it at night when I go to the bathroom, my knees also stiffen up some at night and I just feel safer with it. When I'm inside walking during the day is when I forget to use it, so I'll get there. I think it's a great idea to leave one in the car. Oh, and I SO hated using the walker, I think because it made me feel old, lol.
Thanks everyone for such encouragement. During this long recovery, you really need to have people in your corner that understand from real life experience what your going through and you can talk to, so thanks for being there.
:friends:
 
Well, I think we would all say, "It's been a pleasure!" Where would any of us be without this knee-affirming forum?
 
You know, now that you mention it, I wonder how old we have to be before the use of a walker doesn't make us feel OLD?
 
We went to a large flea market on Saturday two hours from our house. I rented a scooter, I have never been on one before so I was not a good driver to say the least. My poor husband was getting so frustrated with me and my driving, it didn't help that the speed control wasn't working right, it was quite the adventure :heehee: We stayed 3 hrs and I was in pain all day Sunday. But, it was so nice to get out. Icing and elevating was my friend!
 
Sounds like fun @Mister! I'm not sure how I would do driving a scooter either. I have to ask, you do mean a scooter and not a motorized chair right? I kinda like that idea! My DH loves the flea market, me not so much. He has found all kinds of treasures, I don't have the patience. Give me a TJ Maxx! :heehee:
 
@becticu - they called them scooters, but it's a motorized chair.
They have indoor and outdoor, outside is junk, inside women's stuff. I was so tired after being in the sun outside I didn't want to go to the inside booths. Plus, it's more crowded in there and I'm sure I would really have problems driving that thing around :happydance:
 
I found that people tend to ignore you when you're in those motorized carts, too, making driving even that more hazardous. It taught me to be more aware of those around me at all times. And now that I'm back on my feet again, I have a new awareness of those driving those carts. It's not an easy thing to conquer!
 
Mister, that was an adventurous day! I've never tried one of those things, lol. I'm not the world's best driver, so it's probably just as well.:-) Not surprised you were a bit ouchy afterwards, but it sounds like it was worth it!:SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom