Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mister's 2nd knee

Other than overdoing things a bit with your grandson (such a cute age) you're really doing remarkably well @Mister! Good plan to cut back ever so slowly on pain meds. Next week, your flexion will exceed mine; hah!
 
Ok then Mister, let's hope for 85 degrees next Monday! Now, if you beat me there, I might sulk a bit, lol.
 
@Pheebs52 - and vice versa! I can guarantee I will sulk, but be happy for you all the same!!
 
Tell ya what...I'll give you my numbers first and then you can just say yours are the same, hahahaha!

Honestly, I've pretty much stopped thinking about numbers because they don't make any sense in my case. Supposedly, with my ROM, I *shouldn't* be able to walk up stairs, tie my shoes, get out of chairs hands-free, pick things up from the floor, and a few other things. Guess what? I can do all of those things! Ok, so I don't climb stairs gracefully, but it doesn't hurt to climb them and that's what I think matters.

Right now, I cannot walk down stairs foot-over-foot or ride a bike. Neither is impinging on my lifestyle or general happiness so....who cares? I haven't tried swimming yet or walking for more than 30 minutes, but suspect I'd be able to do both. The walking for more than 30 minutes would probably cause swelling, so I haven't tried it.

I'm going to continue with PT for awhile because I like it. The massage is great for loosening and the exercises are very simple and helping me keep everything stretched. They've definitely been instrumental in my achieving a good gait and we also work on my balance, which, I'm told, is pretty darn good. The people there are great morale boosters as well; win/win! I only go 2x a week and find that schedule very manageable.
 
We always say it's function that is important, not numbers! Don't compare knees. You never know how much different the inside of your knee was when the OS got in there and what all he had to do to it. @Mister, you are doing so good for 2 weeks! And now, you are over the terrible two weeks! Things will start to get much better each week, now!
 
@Pheebs52 - sounds like a plan!
The things you can do are terrific! You can do so much more than I can. You are my hero.
I hate that I'm caught up in the numbers game but I am. I've just been through so much with the other knee that I can't help myself.
But, you're right the main thing is quality of life and if I could do everything you can do, I would be happy.
And my pt, like yours are very caring and care what my outcome is and their main goal is to improve my life. And also like yours, they are really helping me with my gait and help me stay positive. So, I'll be going there for as long as I can.

@sistersinhim - thank goodness I'm past the 2wk mark! They're the worst.

And I do feel like I'm doing really good. When I go to pt and they say my bend is better now on this knee at 2wks than the other knee at 12 wks when I had the manipulation, that's the best feeling.
 
that's good to hear @Mister that physio says your bend is better now at 2 weeks than the other at 12 weeks. progress.:flwrysmile:
 
Well, Mister, I am a month ahead of you in healing time, so I'd hope I can do just a few more things, lol. However, I know you'll catch up and probably surpass me really soon at the rate you're going; hah! Seriously, you are rocking this knee gig; whoohoo!
 
Thanks so much for all the encouragement, it makes all the difference.
I really didn't participate in bonesmart for the first knee, I think because I was so depressed. But, I want to be an encouragement to others, so I will stick with it, because I know how much just a few words can lift you up and make you feel so much better.
Thank you all for being such good examples.
:roseshwr:
 
I am after a functional knee. I know PT is looking at numbers, but what matters to me is what is my knee allowing me to do. So far I am happy with its progress. Glad you are here for knee #2. We are happy to celebrate your progress and listen when you are down.
 
I had pt yesterday and my bend keeps getting better. We are both happy with my progress and gradually getting my strength back.
I go to OS today and I'm going to ask for Percocet and get off the oxycodone, I'm really having a lot of side effects with it. I know Percocet still has oxy in it, but for me it doesn't cause the same side effects.
My pain level is so much better too, but like most people, during the night I wake up with pain, so I end up taking it some during the night. And I take it before pt. also.
Energy levels are better too, although still need at least one nap a day.
 
@Mister, you really shouldn't be taking pain meds before PT. They mask the pain you would otherwise feel. If you don't feel it, then you're doing too much and it's showing up at night.
It's quite normal to still be taking naps. Sleeping is really good for you!
 
The dr was very pleased with my progress. Took out my staples, it didn't hurt taking them out, but is sore now.
Gave me a prescription for Percocet like I asked and I got one for zofran which helps with nausea, I'm still having some of that. He wants to see me back in 3 wks.
I didn't ask him about going back to work. I went back on the last one part time at 6wks. I didn't ask him last time, I just decided on my own. It seemed to work out ok.
 
Oh, it felt so good to me afterwards to get those staples out! Fantastic that it didn't hurt you. You must have had someone do it that knew what they were doing. I had the home nurse do mine and they all hurt but one. I hope I can have glue next time!
 
@sistersinhim - I guess I was lucky, the OS took them out for both knees. I guess it is pretty great that he doesn't think he's below getting his hands dirty and doing it himself!
 
Yay on getting the staples out! It's such a big relief, isn't it? You're doing so well with this knee; hurrah!

I have to agree about no pains meds before PT. Try to go without and see how it goes. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm a wimp, but since I have a great PT and we don't do anything painful, the most I've felt is some tedious discomfort. If it hurts, stop immediately. The pain is your signal that you've gone too far. Afterwards, perhaps soon or several hours later you may very well need them, and that's just fine.
 
My oxycodone says its generic for percoset. All this time, I've just been saying I'm taking percoset. Am I missing something? Is there that big a difference in the generic?
 
Percocet is Oxycodone + Acetaminophen (Tylenol).
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom