Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mister's 2nd knee

Yikes, what a LONG shopping adventure @Mister! But, I love browsing antique shops; super fun!

Ouch on the massage! It definitely shouldn't hurt, in fact, it should feel good, or at least it does for me. If your regular therapist isn't available, just skip that part. Or, skip PT entirely since you seem to be doing so well, lol.

Wow, back to work already? I'm glad to hear you can return on a part-time basis; phew! Even a desk job will be tiresome at first. Don't forget to bring something, perhaps a cooler, to prop your leg up on and hopefully you can bring ice to work? I know it all sounds like a PITA, but....I think you'll be glad to have all the right stuff with you.:SUNsmile:
 
Last time I went back to work I elevated as much as I could. But, it really is hard to elevate under a desk, but I did have it on a pillow on a stool. And then at some point I would go into the break room and ice. Luckily I have a wonderful boss.
 
A wonderful boss can make all the difference @Mister! Maybe you could purchase a cheap ottoman and leave it under your desk? Just a thought.
 
@Pheebs52 I have a small stool and I put a pillow on top and it works pretty well. I've had bad bosses, so I know when to treasure a good one!

I wonder if anyone has had this happen. From about the second week out on my new tkr, my first tkr started hurting. My pt and os think it is probably due to taking on duties of the new knee, but I'm 5 weeks out and it still hurts. It hurts as it's bending but just at a certain point on the front of the knee.
 
@Mister Good luck with the return to work. I had surgery at same time as you and it feels like my brain is ready for some work but my knee sure does not want to sit at a desk. I'll be curious to see how it goes for you.
 
@gertie I'lol let you know how it goes. Last time when I went back, I worked 7:30-11:30. I thought by the time I left I was going to die I was so tired. My knee would be sore, but it was more the exhaustion that got me. My stamina just wasn't what it was before the surgery. That and I usually take a nap in the morning, lol.
 
@Mister I agree with the os and pt that you are asking more of your other knee now and it is grumbling a bit. It's not fully healed yet, so you need to pamper it a bit too. Good luck on your return to work.
 
@Mister, I'll just ditto what Sandi said. Even though your first knee was done back in January, it's still not fully recovered. Do you ice and elevate both?
 
good luck Mister going back to work and staying comfortable. sounds like you had a good elevating strategy with the ottoman and pillow on top. we have something called a "puff" or "pouffe" that mother-in-law gave us years ago, square prism shaped, stuffed with something, and a beautiful leather cover embroidered with an elephant image and tassels on each corner. have you seen those fabric animal shaped footstools ~ so cute and whimsical. that would be fun to take into the office. hope your first new knee is behaving better ~ it's possibly tired of doing all the work while you're new one is healing.
 
I try to pamper the older knee by icing and elevating, it just seems I naturally do the new knee first. I kind of feel like the older knee is holding me back, because a lot of times the new knee feels better. But, I'll keep trying, I'm sure it will ease up with time.
So happy with my recovery though and it's only been 5wks, so they both are still healing and will continue to improve. I still have a really hard time with stairs. I'm so jealous of you @Pheebs52 :groan:
Well, I have pt today with the colleague again. Don't worry, I am definitely going to tell him not to massage the area that hurts. It's probably still tender from the surgery, but he's not doing that again. At least my other pt will be back next week.
@liam2015 - I have seen those cute ottomans, I wish I had thought of that before. I probably won't get one since it's temporary and I don't need it at home. @Canada35 - I definitely have flexibility at work. If I don't feel good, or I'm hurting I can go home. Like I said before, I have a great boss.
 
@Mister, "jealous of me with stairs?" LOL, I can't go down stairs foot-over-foot yet, only up, and that with a railing on one side and my cane on the other! I've tried to go up without the cane and ....well...it ain't *pretty.* So, I continue to use the cane in the house for my miserable 13 steps; hah!
 
It's awfully soon to be going back to work. I hope you'll do alright.

Your old, new knee is still healing. You just had the tkr for it in January and then the MUA, which sets the healing back on it in March. With your brand new knee, you're automatically babying it while relying on your old, new knee. No wonder it's fussing!
 
@Pheebs52 - you crack me up! I only have 3 steps to get in my back door with no rails, so have been coming in the front door, lol. To get to the employee entrance at my job, it is 4 big steps with no railing, so I'll have to go in the public entrance. I guess I need to start practicing at home, so my husband can help me because I'll definitely need rails.

@sistersinhim - I'm sure I will be fine at work, I went back this soon with my first one. But, I do know now with both knees hurting, it might be harder. If it's too hard I will stay off longer. At least it's part time. I don't think I could do it full time yet. It took me a few weeks before I did it with first knee. I just got so exhausted and sometimes couldn't think straight. My co workers said it was because I was in pain meds, the bad part was that I wasn't, lol.
 
Well, pt went well and I told him I didn't want him to do the massage so he didn't.
Luckily my regular pt will be there Monday.
My appt with my os is Tuesday and my husband will be out of town, so I think it's time to start driving again. I'm now just taking pain meds at night and Tylenol during the day. And it was really hard for my husband to take me back and forth to work last time because with the manipulation it was so long before I could drive. Plus, I don't want to reschedule. Hopefully he'll tell me I'm doing well enough to be released from pt.
 
Glad to hear the PT respected your no massage wishes today! Even happier to hear your regular therapist will be back on Monday.:yes!:

I'm sure your OS will be thrilled with your progress on Tuesday! I doubt you'll have any trouble driving next week since it was your left leg that was done, but tomorrow and over the weekend, maybe you should just *play* in the car and practice getting in and out? I found that to be the challenge; hah!
 
@Pheebs52 - I will definitely practice, I was a little nervous last time. It took me a couple of times to be comfortable again.
 
Oh! Steps with no railing at a public accessible building would be against the law here and I think in most Western European countries. And it's getting stricter. As of last year, any doctor opening a new practice, must be accessible without stairs. Street level, ramps or lift is a must. So many docs who are retiring cannot pass on their old practices now because of steps w no lift. Same for apothecaries.
 
@VW54 - the public entrance has rails. There is one set of stairs with rails for employee entrance, but there's a gate there, so unless the gate is open you can't go through there. I thought that they would have to have rails also. Maybe because you can get in through the public entrance, they don't have to.
 
Yes, they probably get away with it because there is that public entrance that's accessible.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom