TKR Mister's 2nd knee

That's my kind of hospital @Mister! I'm glad you're getting the pain meds now; phew! How much do they want you to use the CPM? Just seems like you've done a lot today between that and walking?
 
@Pheebs52 They made it sound like
It was up to me. I was on it about 3hrs this morning. I'm sure between the walking and cpm that's why it's starting to hurt, that and the block is starting to wear off. Probably won't do anymore of the cpm, really tired now.
 
I can imagine your are tired after all you've done today. Talking about peeing after surgery, I think the IVs pumping fluid into us constantly has something to do with that, too.
 
@Mister You were the day after me. Glad to hear you're doing well overall. Hope it continues. I'm home now--came home yesterday.

Fatigue is part of the recovery for sure.
 
@Mister glad things are going well. You asked how my other knee is doing holding up the new one. I'm amazed at how well she does. I was 10.5 weeks between surgeries and very pleased with how well she took over. Don't overdo it on the CPM. I'm having g to use it now because my right knee doesn't want to flex. I'm always so stiff when I get done with it. Take care!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congrats on having a matched set of shiny knees! It sounds like you are doing well and you know what to expect. I hope you go home soon.
 
@Mister, it would be nice to have some guidelines on the CPM usage; I'd ask if you are going to be using it at home. You really did do a lot yesterday and yes, I'll bet the block is wearing off now. That first day or two after the block wears off is rough, but I know you are prepared having been down this road before. I'm hoping you'll be discharged to home today!
 
Hi everyone! Sorry it's been so long. I feel I'm doing good. Except for the exhaustion. It was not this bad with the last one. When I had my surgery on Wednesday, I was a total zombie. I was better on Thursday, Friday I went home. Friday and Saturday I thought I was going to die from exhaustion. It did seem that I was a lot better when I ate and have started taking my multi vitamins again.
My old knee is holding up really well and taking the load. I'm having a hard time walking and doing things because of the weakness though. I want to get my strength back but can't right now.
I'm on the cpm machine but really want to be walking. I can't even walk around the kitchen once. And I'm not able to lift my leg like last time.
I know that each knee is different so I'll just keep trying. But, I do feel a lot of this is from the general anesthesia because I've never had it before. I'm sure this will pass soon. At least the pain is tolerable.
 
@Mister - I am glad you are home and that the pain is manageable. General anesthesia can really mess with your energy level and, for me, it takes awhile for it to get out of my system. I didn't have it with either of my knee surgeries, but have had it with other surgeries in the past. Your strength will come back, as will the walking. It just takes time.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Mister I had general anesthesia with my hip replacement in the fall and certainly felt like it wiped me out for days--I'm sleepy now with the knee but it has more to do with healing and pain meds--feels different than that GA recovery. Sounds like you're doing well though. As others have cautioned you, don't overdo the CPM (although it does give a nice stretch).

My days consist of some walking around the house, a few exercises, phone calls and visits with friends, and lots of naps with leg elevated and iced. LOTS of bruising has appeared--very colorful leg!
 
@gertie @IowaNana my head also spins when I get up, but it sounds like it just takes time. I thought it would have been out of my system by now.
Also, my quad is not firing yet because I can't lift my leg at all.
 
@Mister I don't know how accurate this is so take it with a whole salt shaker full of salt but...a friend of mine had GA for a different kind of surgery and was told by her surgeon to expect it to take weeks for the impact of GA to completely leave. Worst impact in the first few days but lingering for a while.
 
@Mister, sending you some big hugs from afar:console2: and hoping you are simply resting right now. Perhaps all the CPM is also contributing to your exhaustion? I'd try cutting back on it and just resting for now, but that's me. I'm sure the general anesthesia is probably still in your system and that, combined with everything else would definitely make you feel like a limp noodle. Heck, I felt like one without the G/A, as have many here.

It takes time for the quad to wake-up, but, it will. Thank goodness for leg-lifters, eh?

Is anyone monitoring your blood pressure? I ask since you mentioned your head spinning upon rising; it could be low.
 
@gertie i had read that too, hoping it won't happen, but know it's a possibility. Pt starts tomorrow and I'd like to participate but I may not can, I guess we'll see.
 
@Pheebs52 i am either doing cpm or excercises but not both now. I did an hr on cpm this morning. But, I did try exercises, but couldn't do them as
I was too weak. So, that tells me I can't do both. I'm doing a lot of resting, icing and elevating. Which are all very important right now. It will get better I'm sure. It's true what they say, that each knee is different.

Haven't been checking blood pressure, I've never had low blood pressure before, but that could also be from the ga. I've read that pain med mixed with ga, you have the possibility of low blood pressure. So, maybe that's it, but I'm taking pain med and zofran for nausea every 4hrs as I think that's important too.
 
@Mister, anyone can get woozy when standing from a prone position, specially when taking pain meds. It may not be a blood-pressure issue, but it's worth having checked if you have a visiting nurse. When getting out of bed, just try to sit there for a few minutes before attempting to stand. You probably do this naturally already!

Good idea on choosing between the CPM and exercises right now. :SUNsmile:

I took my pain meds by the clock as well and it sure was important!
 
I feel I'm doing good. Except for the exhaustion. It was not this bad with the last one.
You have the Energy drain for TKRs
It feels worse this time because you've had two very major operations and an MUA in the space of less than 6 months. Your right knee is still healing, taking some of the energy, and your left knee is very new.
You've got a double whammy of energy drain.

Pt starts tomorrow and I'd like to participate but I may not can,
Skip the PT. You don't need it this early anyway.
i am either doing cpm or excercises but not both now. I did an hr on cpm this morning. But, I did try exercises, but couldn't do them as
I was too weak. So, that tells me I can't do both. I'm doing a lot of resting, icing and elevating
I think you're doing plenty. The CPM is bending your knee passively, which proves it can bend, but doesn't really do much for muscle-powered ROM. As you feel stronger, you can ease off using the CPM and start using your own muscles instead. Studies have shown that whether you use a CPM or not has no effect on your ultimate ROM.

There's no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year or more after a TKR. At the moment, what your knee needs most is rest, ice and elevation.
It's not exercise that give you the ROM - it's time. Time to for your knee to heal, for swelling to go down, and pain to decrease. The ROM is there inside your knee already, just waiting to be able to show itself as those things happen.
 
@Mister, I think Celle just summed up beautifully why you feel so exhausted! Good grief, that IS a lot of surgery in a short time frame. I really hadn't considered your MUA as surgery, but I should have, as should you.

I also agree that you should not attend PT tomorrow or so soon in general. You're just not ready and that has to be ok. Right now, you can't even lift your leg, so what exactly do you think will occur at PT? A few heel slides? Maybe some massage? At this point in time, anything they can do there is definitely something you can do at home, right?

You're only 4 days post-op, so why the rush to outside PT? Is it based on what happened to your other knee? If so, I think that's faulty logic. Just my opinion, of course, and not a professional one, but a concerned friendly one.
 
@Celle i hadn't considered three major surgeries in so short a time. That makes more sense when you say that.

@Pheebs52 I'm questioning the
Pt also, but to be honest I am scared about my previous lack of ROM, so I will probably go. I will definitely not let them do anything that will hurt. I have been doing pt with him since 4wks post op in February, so we have a good understanding of each other.

I do seem to be getting stronger, I was able to walk around the kitchen now. Also, my head wasn't spinning as much when I stood up. But, am sitting there a few minutes before I get up and that does seem to help.
 
I can understand why you are scared, but...this is a different knee and you'll probably have a very different recovery. Didn't you already achieve more flexion in the newest knee than ever in the other prior to MUA? I thought you had said that, but of course, I could be mistaken.

I'm really glad you have a trusted PT; it makes such a difference! Still, given how tired you are, I'd opt for staying home. But that's just me and you have to do what feels right for you. Whatever way you choose, I'll be rooting for you!
Glad to hear that sitting for a few has made your head less woozy!:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom