Guest viewing is limited

THR Mission Accomplished in H-Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Mission Accomplished in H-Town
@PhatTxDiva, you are now an
[Bonesmart.org] Mission Accomplished in H-Town
!

I see that you are following the BoneSmart mantras to the letter and having the beginnings of a very good recovery. Keep up the good work.\

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi @bottomshollow ! It is with deep gratitude and humility that I accept this honor! :curtsey:

I am acutely aware of the easy time I am having, so I am trying my best to follow the mantras and not mess it up. I almost did it today by spending too much time on one chore. :banghead: So easy to get sucked in.

I must give credit where it is due to you, your fellow moderators and all the administrators and members of this site. Can't imagine what I would have done without this information! :yay:
 
Alrighty then, time to wrap up Day 5 . . .

with a battle of wits with a pair of compression stockings. Aaaannnnnddd since I'm the one left sweaty and out of breath, I take it that I'm the loser. I even used the plastic bag trick. :( Doc says I have to keep wearing the stockings at night, so I took them off today to wash them. Of all the socks the washer SHOULD have eaten!!!

This day was uneventful. Thankfully, still no pain. I did experience some increased tightness. I'm certain it was caused by sitting at the computer too long since it basically dissipated as soon as I got up. I'll make up for it tomorrow with all nest, all Kindle, all day. :)

Swelling is going down nicely and I'm getting that itchy, scabby feeling around my incision, so I guess things are moving along. I go in for my follow-up on Nov 10. I do not look forward to whatever machinations will be required to remove this dressing. I have a feeling that something that is still sticking this well after so long isn't going to come off without a fight. However, I'm dying to see what's underneath.

Good Night. :yawn:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Mission Accomplished in H-Town
    day5_IMAG0579.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 154
Well I have to say that's just about word for word what I said about my dressing... I was dreading removing it; my friend across the road, who is rather usefully a Silver Chain (Hospital at the Home) nurse changed my dressing for me at ten days and showed me "the" trick. Wanna know what it is? Thought so:rotfl: She pulled the very edge of the dressing away from the centre, sort of across the leg (as in, not pulling it away from the leg) essentially stretching the sticky bit, then gently just rolled it down the incision. She kept apologizing for hurting me as she was pulling some dried gunk off - but it didn't hurt one bit! She advised me to loosen the edges (basically take off as much of the dressing as possible without exposing the wound) before going to the OS to get the staples removed as they are often in a hurry and just rip it off (well it's not them standing there stinging is it?) It was good as the nurse at the OS rooms was really good too and I didn't feel the dressing coming off at all, giving my skin a head start when they took the staples out - only having one area sensitized rather than two
I don't know if you got staples or not, but the wound looked pretty daunting before they came out, and really pretty good after... so don't let first impressions faze you:wink:
I'm so glad my OS doesn't believe in TEDs... I had gallbladder surgery in June (after a kidney stone in April and a fall in Feb, not a good year!) and I had to wear them for two weeks... I was only in hospital one night! Still they're so much better in winter, when I had my hysterectomy it was Feb, the hottest month of the year and THAT sucked:gaah:
Enjoy your nestie-kindle day tomorrow
I'm off to the hospital.... nah, for my Mum this time (scheduled angiogram, still a drama, isn't it always?):tada:
 
@PhatTxDiva Your dressing looks like the one they used on me - it was a 10 day dressing and came off very easily. I had disolving stitches so I was concerned the dressing would grab the wound but all that worry was unwarranted. I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly ~ your sense of humor will see you through :wink:
 
Thanks Ladies!

@craftdee , I'll keep your Mum in my thoughts.
@Carriemay60 Thanks for the info. I hope mine is the same. I neglected to ask the doc if I have stitches or staples.
@PamelaJane Thanks! I'm trying to behave. :snork:
 
Day 7 - So I've made it through my first week

Filled with gratitude for the experience and results that I have been granted. I'm all in one piece and hip-pain free for the first time in years! :loveshwr:

For anyone on the fence, the best advice I can give is just do it. Get it scheduled and begin moving forward. You may change your mind a couple of times, but just try to get started.
  • when someone says you're too young - nope: you deserve to be pain-free now!
  • when you think you can't afford it - nope: if you're like me and you don't have money anyhow, may as well be pain-free while figuring out the bills; most healthcare providers will set up payment plans
  • when you think you won't have help - nope: it's amazing how the universe provides, for instance I met the lady who is helping me because she was in my recovery planning class with her Mom! If I hadn't at least scheduled the surgery and registered for class, I never would have met her. As well, just tell one neighbor, you know the one, and by the end of the week you'll have plenty of sympathy and offers to bring your recycling to the curb. :eyebrows:
Just my two-cents . . .

Heading to bed. Tomorrow begins a new week.
[Bonesmart.org] Mission Accomplished in H-Town
 
I'm about to log in to my work email for the first time in a week. Wish me luck! :praying:
 
Hi PhatTxDiva,
Really nice to hear that you are doing really great. I am sure you made the right decision. I wish you all the best in your life.
I really liked your earlier post of why you should move on. Well, sometimes I feel like I am too young and scared with that kind of surgery and again I think of another side of the world. Anyway, I haven't scheduled the surgery yet but I am sure I will have to do very soon. Waiting for couple OS's views on their way.


Well, keep it up, keep posting, happy Friday........
 
Okay, so it's Day 9 and I just had my first groin twinge. Not so much deep in the corner like before but more towards the center and closer to the surface. (psoas area vs adductor area????) Weird. All I was doing was putting some recycling in the garage. Nothing heavy, hardly bent over. Perhaps not even related to surgery? After all I am ... duh, duh, duh ... middle-aged. :gaah:

On a side note, the battle with the compression stockings is over and they've won, so off they go. If I'm able to remain mature about it they won't get flung across the room.

Cheers!
 
Day 11 . . .

Forgot my 9:15am pain pill until about 12:00pm. My body didn't seem to notice. Don't know if that means anything, but I'm going to take the 3:15pm as scheduled. Don't think I'm ready to discontinue yet.

Weather was perfect, so went for a walk with just the cane. It went well. No ill effects so far. I have about 2 hours of computer work to complete, then I'm retreating to the nest for some Sunday afternoon TV binging.

Cheers!

[Bonesmart.org] Mission Accomplished in H-Town
 
Take your pain meds for now @PhatTxDiva . You will soon taper off. Sounds like you are doing very well!
 
Day 13 . . .

I had my first post-op follow-up yesterday. My dressing was removed and couple of steri-strips (sp?) were applied where necessary. He advised letting the incision heal a couple more days then I should be free to use the shower without being wrapped up like a mummy. Yeaaaa!!!!! :happydance:

He says he doesn't do x-rays on the 2-week follow-up but will do so on the 6-week follow-up.

He observed me while walking and said everything looked fine, but advised that I should continue to carry my cane for when I got tired. The only exercise he recommended was a few adductions throughout the day. He does not require any PT but still left the choice up to me and said I can start back using my elliptical trainer whenever I wish.

I was told I can try driving whenever I'm ready, so when my helper is here tomorrow I am going to try and see how that works out. If my hip doesn't complain, I'll start looking at weaning myself off the pain pills beginning next week. I also learned that because my Rx is for 10mg, the pills can actually be cut in half when I'm ready to begin lessening the dose. If everything goes smoothly, I could be driving by Thanksgiving. w00t!
[Bonesmart.org] Mission Accomplished in H-Town


Finally, I did take pics of my incision but they're pretty d@mn gruesome. I'll try to select the least icky and post in the "badge of honor" thread. You've been warned. :sick:

Angela
 
Sounds like you are doing very well @PhatTxDiva . Are you allowed to use a waterproof bandage to shower? Might be easier than wrapping up like a mummy! :heehee:
 
Hi @Jaycey, I hadn't considered a waterproof bandage since I already had the cling-wrap in hand. I'll ask my helper about it tomorrow. Thanks!
 
Welcome to the other side, Diva. I spent some time in H-town back in the 80's. It appears our joints are roughly the same age. Ice, pain-killers, chocolate and Daytime TV, What's not to like?
Best of luck to you and do your PT:walking:
 
So glad you are doing well @PhatTxDiva I remeber when I had that first groin twinge. It scared me. :shocked:

I learned it is just part of our recovery. Oh that first shower is heavenly. Hope you get it soon!
 
Nice to hear you're going so well @PhatTxDiva I bet you're looking forward to that "free" shower! Looks like you'll be driving about the same time as me (which means you're WEEKS ahead in real terms, grrr) ... though I don't go to my OS until Friday for my scheduled check up when I'll 99% likely to be given clearance -That's when mine does the Xray too, though actually hubby is just on the way home now so I can race up and have the Xray taken - they'll put a copy on disc for me, which is cool, I can't wait to see it.
Make sure you put your "zipper picture" on the badge of honour page... don't worry, there's some doozies on there, I'm sure yours wont' be the worst!:shocked:
The groin twinge, oh yeah, mine's finally getting better... stretching seems to be the answer; heat then stretch (quad stretches will do) then ice if necessary
Gotta go, deadly rays to have a meeting with:rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom