Guest viewing is limited

THR Mission Accomplished in H-Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhatTxDiva,

Good luck with your recovery. Guess what, if you remember you gave me the name of the surgeon in Houston you are going with, I had an appointment with him and he looked to be so nice and hopeful. I am still going to see couple more surgeons in Houston and see what they say. I felt good after I saw you here in the blogs who is in the same town and very positive.

I will be following you throughout your recovery thread. I wish you all the best for quick recovery. God bless you.
 
@sub36

Good luck finding your surgeon. Remember it's your body. Don't let anyone operate without being 100% confident. Look into mis superpath. That requires even less cutting. There are surgeon in houston. I am about 4 weeks away from my surgery and I feel great. I sleep like a baby at night. I can climb up stairs not worrying about my hip giving up on me. Remember if your thighs are strong. It makes so much easier when it comes to recovery. My surgeon did a great job. My pt was telling me, my ROM is improving everyday. I agree. I can turn my hip outward with no problem, still sore where the incision took place. I have difficulty turning my hip inward. That's from the swelling. Anyway, I was told 3 months restrictions after that I am free to do whatever I want. Good luck. Looking forward reading your post on the recovery section.
 
Hi @sub36

I'm glad you were able to meet him. I cannot say enough about the Baylor and Methodist team. Well organized and professional throughout my whole ordeal.

The occupational therapist came by to evaluate me and give some tips. Haha, she kept saying how well I was doing, so I had to let her know about the awesome resource that is Bonesmart.

Definitely take your time making a choice. I can really see now that the surgical/hospital can make all the difference.

Angela


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PhatTxDiva Congratulations !!!
Hope your up and about soon.
It seems like you all on this side just open a door, take a couple of steps, open another door and out pops a brand new person.
A physical and mental make over.... I'll take one of those.
Good luck and listen to those before you.......Jeff


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PhatTxDiva

So glad your in recovery. Like everyone says. Water and ice will be your best friends. Hopefully the nausea has gone away. You can ask them for something for it. My anesthesiologist made sure I had something because I get sick with anesthesia. The cuffs are to keep your circulation going. Stay on top of your pain the first week. You will be so happy you did. Don't be afraid to ask for more pain meds if you need it. Rest rest rest. Your body needs it. Even 23 days out my stamina is not so great. Still need lots of rest. So happy for you and your new bionic hip.
 
Doc was just here. I have my scripts in hand. Ready to go. I stayed an extra night to see how the pain was going to act. Luckily it hasn't gone over a 2. As well, the prunes are working. (I know, TMI!)

Hoping to be home by early afternoon.

w00t!!!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow - good news that you are outa there! No place like home!
 
So happy you get to go home. It is so nice being in your own home. Much more relaxing. Remember be easy on yourself and sleep. Rest is your best friend. Congrats.
 
I'm sure you'll be more comfortable at home. Remember there are a few challenges ahead, but sticking to the mantras will see you through... and chatting to your Bone Buddies of course:cool:
I'd recommend my surgeon in a heartbeat, of course he IS in Perth Western Australia... but he's going to Canada for a year starting December, so any of you Canadians looking for a super surgeon and seriously nice guy.... just sayin':snork:
The hospital you're in can make a huge difference too, even if you're only there for a few nights. My son had a serious accident last year (when his twins were only ten weeks old) and the Emergency he was taken to was close to where he was working that day (an hour away from his home and ours!) and was in a very old hospital due for renovations... he had surgery that day to try and save his foot, once he had that surgery there no other Surgeon would take the case on. He ended up being in there for four weeks, waiting to see what his body was going to do... he lost his Great Toe and Second toe to necrosis (crush injury, always harder to treat than lacerations etc) Despite having Top Private Health Insurance he was kept in that really old ill-equipped place, and it was so tough to see him there, compared with the hospital I was in it was third world! When they did the amputations they didn't do skin grafts - the body can generate enough skin to cover the wounds itself, and it means there's no wound site from where they took the grafts.... I've got to say it was pretty gruesome, (yes I have pictures!) but absolutely fascinating to see how fast, and how well it healed. He had to concentrate on good gait in recovery like us hippies.... after eleven weeks of having it elevated above his heart for 23 hours a day!
Now @PhatTxDiva in your excitement at being home, DON'T overdo it, especially as you live alone. Follow those mantras and particularly remember ice is your friend:ice: - especially as you have the prune thing under control:rotfl:
G'night
 
Home!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes! I am safely settled on the couch with ice. My caregiver is running to Walgreen's for my scripts.

Once I take the Norco, a nap will surely come. Ahhhhhhh!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PhatTxDiva

Now you get to use all those goodies you bought to prior to surgery! Stay ahead of the pain and have the ice handy. You did great!

Cheryl
 
Bwahahahahaaa! My ice pack just sprung a leak. Fortunately, I was able to move quickly enough to the bathroom without tweaking anything. Would have made a GREAT YouTube clip!

Haha, gonna take a lap around the house, set up the coffeemaker then head back to bed.

So begins Day 3. :)



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Here I am the the end of Day 3. Just took my last Norco of the day. Haha, I'll be knocked out in an hour.

No pain throughout the day. Plenty of stiffness though. It feels like the stiffness you get after a good weight workout. Worst when first arising, then lessening as I move around.

It was "chamber of commerce" weather here in Houston, so when my home health aide came over I asked to go out for a walk. Unfortunately, I neglected to put on my HRM, so I don't know the exact stats, but based on my FitBit it was somewhere between .5 and .75 mile. When we were done, I took my meds, had a smoothie, grabbed my ice and headed for the 'nest'. I was expecting to have some extra twinges afterwards, but so far so good.

I must be like the luckiest person on earth, because so far I'm feeling pretty good. I experienced far more pain and discomfort when I had my wisdom teeth out.

My last official act will be to re-stock the nest with some chocolate and settle in.

Good Night! :sleep:
 
Glad you're feeling good... so much better than the alternative:rofsign:Stiffness is better than pain, I had Posterior and I still found the pain easy to control - the stiffness and achy bits were harder to deal with for sure. I am so jealous you don't have restrictions, sigh. and I'm so jealous of that chocolate-filled-nest too:rotfl: Mind you, I think there may be a bar of choccy in the fridge with my name on.... I'm outta here. Enjoy your sleep
 
Day 4:

This day can be summed up with the simple phrase, "Can't keep my eyes open."

Got up for my 9:15 meds, had some coffee and tooled around the web a bit. Eyes started closing so I headed for the nest. Have been here ever since. :ice:

Gonna get up now, replenish my ice, have my 3:15 meds and a bite to eat. Actually, not a bad way to spend a lazy Sunday! :)

Cheers!
 
I am a knee not a hip person. Your posts are lovely. They're like a breath of fresh air. I wish you all the very best in your recovery. I'm sure your humour and positive outlook will get you through. Well done Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. Your given name is so beautiful. Your other name is the same as my daughter so another seal of approval there.

No seriously now, take care and get well soon.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom