Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, am getting my kit together now. Quite a nice little collection, which also includes (amongst other things) a waitress apron with 3 pockets. I know my US BS buddies use a walker initially when discharged, but over here they are mean enough to make us use crutches. So @Cynthia777 's neat little idea attaching an apron to the front of her walker won't work for me. I'll be sporting mine in lime green, pockets filled with phone and other assorted goodies, specs around neck and 2 x grabbers (as recommended by @Jaycey).
Today's question is ...... do any of you use a shower stool? Am wondering if I'll find one useful should I feel giddy or unsteady? Would love any input. Thanks
 
do any of you use a shower stool?
I used a shower stool post RTHR. It's not a bad idea to have something to perch on in the early days when you are not as confident on your feet. I would suggest getting one with adjustable legs so you can raise it and not break any 90 degree rule when you sit.

Post LTHR the blood thinning medication made me very light headed. Bathrooms and dizziness are not a good match. A wise investment I would say.
 
I have one in my shower, but have never sat on it. It's been great for holding all my body washes, shampoo etc. I've used a four footed cane to get in and out of the shower and for balancing while turning. I found I had no problem standing once I was given the okay to shower (about five days post-op). However, my handheld shower head has been a real blessing.
 
Bathrooms and dizziness are not a good match.
Sort of what concerned me I suppose. I am minded to get one, and the adjustable type makes perfect sense - they all look rather short on the web pictures but have notches which you can use to hoik up the seat. I think I'd feel safer on one. Stepping up into the shower (about 12") may mean I'll need another small interim step. Then I think I'll get a really good non-slip mat. The suction-type grab bars seem to come with a variety of comments which suggest they are unreliable. Can't be anything worse than a grab bar that slips and lets you down eh? Thanks for all the input, much appreciated! :angel:
 
Fortunately I never experienced any dizziness and felt very stable from day one in the hospital. In fact, I was really irritated that I had to ring the nurses every time I needed a potty trip (hospital liability rules). I especially became disgruntled when I had to go NOW and they took their sweet time getting to me! :gaah:
 
Stepping up into the shower (about 12") may mean I'll need another small interim step.
Oh dear, more equipment I know but I did buy a bath step with non-slip surface and pads that gripped on the tile floor. It was about 4 inches high - just enough so that I could step into the bath easily. I didn't have any restrictions post RTHR but I was concerned that my hip would complain if I tried any major step up.
 
Get a grabber for every room!
I'm on two sticks rather than a walker or even crutches and have been wandering around the house with a small backpack with my grabber hooked on the side. I feel like I'm set to scale mountains rather than just moving myself from room to room!
 
Today's question is ...... what exactly does a collapsed hip mean, and what does it feel like?
Mine is getting worse by the day. Does it suddenly "go" - like you've broken something?
 
Am just adding this to my own thread in case it gets lost on @bettifloss's (apologies if that happens and I'm barging in)

bettifloss said:

1. You will be asked stuff like height of shower step etc at pre op, and to provide measurements ( I had a form to complete in advance)
2. Pre op physio/nurse can then relay any requirements to council OT aids folk who will come round and deliver/fit everything. You are entitled to this whether op is at a private or NHS hospital.


I'm puzzled because I've not been asked anything at all regarding providing measurements. There was no form provided with my preOp instructions .... When I rang the physios at the Nuffield (where my Op is taking place) to query this they passed over it. Can anyone else (this side of the ocean) advise please?
 
I wasn't asked for exact measurements but in hospital before I came home the physio asked about steps, height of chairs, bed etc. They said I shouldn't sit on anything where the seat was below my knees. Council occupational health will provide bits and bobs as required but I bought a things (toilet seat, extra grabber, shoe horn) because I wanted my own rather than a loan.
My shower is over the bath and I still can't confidently get in and out so I'm just washing by the sink just now. Getting a walk in shower installed next week!:)
 
So weird that you just asked about what a collapsed hip feels like, because I just googled that exact same question, and then came here to post about my increasing (and worst ever) pain! So glad to hear you've got a date! Also, just reading through your feed has been so helpful as a check list heading into surgery tomorrow as you've asked so many good questions and received so much good advice and answers :)


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
@Kitsmom - hope we get an answer. The pain makes us cry. Glad if my endless questions will help. I'm going to put together a small bag to keep on my over-bed table with things like breath fresher and moist face wipes, glasses, iPhone - still thinking what else to add. And planning to take one of my new grabbers just in case I drop something and can't reach it (and can't get help). Also getting my play list on iPod to listen to while under sedation. First track will be Harry Nillson singing Our Song "Waddle I Do". Happy Day tomorrow!!
 
I had two (now one) collapsed hips. I didn't feel a "sudden" pain, but the pain came on gradually. I think it was @Jaycey (but I could be wrong) who said they knew the exact moment the hip collapsed.
 
Hi @Miss Muffet! - This is my first first on the pre-op side of things and I'm finding some pretty interesting stories here. All this brings me back to my pre-surgical days when I first went through my first then my second hip op. So much time has past and so much has happened since then that I 'forget' how I felt and what I went through back then until I start listening/reading everyone's comments here. Funny how life just moves on......:driver:

Congrats on your surgical date! It's a great idea to prepare for it now!:yes!:

I thought I'd share a few ideas that worked for me after surgery. The difference right now is I've been on a very long term recovery where my 'helping hands' ideas needed a little more permanency than what most people will need, but for what it's worth, it may be helpful for some:

--@Cynthia777 basket idea is a must! Adding aprons and or attachments is invaluable when trying to get yourself plus a few other things from one place to another! I went a step further and added a bicycle basket to the front which I use to carry heavy things around and moving things in and out of the refrigerator. I have another smaller basket on the side for smaller items - brush, vaseline, my Ipad, pen and pencil, writing pad. This basket has given me the independence I needed to be by myself at home and to prepare meals without assistance.

--I wear a fanny pack everyday - this is wear I keep my phone, credit cards, lipstick, cream, tea bags, etc.
--I have a yoga strap I use to life my leg up onto chairs or into bed. It stays in my small basket or I strap it over my shoulder.

--I put very little away and keep things I use on a daily basis on top of counters either in pretty boxes or baskets. Even my clothes are kept out, neatly folded and I tend to wash/wear the same things to keep laundry down.

--I do have a stool in the shower to use if I feel tired or unsteady. I use my walker to get into the shower backwards. While holding onto the walker, I turn my back to the shower, place my good leg in first to steady myself, then slowly bring my 'bad' right leg in and then it's a short adjustment to lower myself onto the stool. To get out, I simply reverse the steps. My walker stays right by the shower door..

As I type this, it dawns on me that it would be nice if perhaps we could add a spot under sticky threads for ideas from everyone to be shared for all to see ....not sure how to do/request this....:chinstroke::flabber:

There are other things I have come up with, again, since I am pretty unmobile right now but don't want to make this too long!:wink:

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers!
 
@Cynthia777 - both collapsed? Poor you!
@keepmovin - so thoughtful of you to go to such trouble to relay all that detail. Really really appreciated.
@Jaycey - today certainly felt that close. I wonder if I need to get my anti-inflam dose increased. Even if for this last few weeks. May give the Doc a call tomorrow.
What is it that physically happens - is it that the last bit of cartilage just disappears all of a sudden?
Was yours as a result of a knock or a fall or is it just a question of time?
Found the pain today particularly draining + think I'm going down with a bug. Sore throat and feeling a bit low. The upside is that I have time to get this out of my system now. 5 weeks today and I'll be on the other side. Can't happen too soon!
 
Hi @Miss Muffet. I love reading your thread, you are so like me, I don't need to write on mine! I too have sore throat today and feeling rubbish. Had a good day yesterday but woke up this morning with bad knee and leg pain. Cocodamol on way via hubby. Tried an apron the other day with pockets crammed with essential bits but found it really annoying dragging my neck so now looking for a pretty waist pinny instead. I hope you feel better soon and full on cold doesn't happen. This emoji will be us post op lol:froggies:
 
@shirleyH - :hi:. Thanks - I do tend to spill it out don't I?!

Yes, it's a stinker of a cold, throat and rattly chest I've woken up to (brill!). :dead:
The days can be very unpredictable can't they. I necessarily had to do more walking than I would care for yesterday. Collecting granddaughter from school - for a normal person = nothing. For me and my horrid hips = a painful marathon - I set off like The Pavement Inspector, staring at the ground with every painful step ...... :climb: Then fed her, took her to her riding lesson, delivered her home and finally arrived back here to greet Hubby who had just got back from a 2-day biztrip. I just wanted to collapse - was gripping the worktops making supper.

Am bringing to wonder if I should contact my GP and ask if I can have some crutches to help take the load (and also up my meds) to get me through these last (now less than) 5 week......?

I test drove my waiter's pinny and it seems fine. I got mine from Amazon. They've got heaps in lots of pretty colours. Mine is lime green, so noone misses me when I come steaming through. :walking:
I've ordered a specs lanyard so they can go round my neck and anything like my iPad will go in one of those really lightweight bags-cum-rucksack things they hand out at exhibitions. I guess even a small flask of tea or coffee could be accommodated in one of those - we'll not be able to juggle a cuppa when we're on crutches (and won't have the "luxury" of Zimmers!)

Thinking ahead about our daily routines and wants will help focus us on how we prearrange things for our recovery. I don't want to find I'm irritated with myself for not doing the obvious things that will make life easier and save having to ask for help.

Have plenty of deskwork to keep me busy today (am fortunate that I can work at home) and really don't want to plan much movement, which I hope may allow these painful hips to settle. Are you working - if so, how are you coping?

Keep in touch and zap that sore throat ... :flwrysmile:
 
I would definitely ask about crutches. I had some for a week or so before surgery and it just meant I could do a little bit more. GP was quite happy to give me them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom