Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zelda - thanks for that. I think I'll go that route. In any case it will be good to practise ready for the off! How are you doing?
 
I feel really good today, thanks!
You mentioned carrying a flask of tea - the last few days I have been able to walk across the room with just one stick so I can now make myself tea and take it over to sit down ALL ON MY OWN! :wowspring:
You have all these small triumphs to look forward to!
 
ABSOLUTELY! - They are indeed triumphs and I shall relish them and post them all over Bonesmart!
This time in 5 weeks I hope to be sitting up and taking notice! So happy for you that you're doing well.
:yahoo::tada::console2::thumb:
 
And Today's Topic is ...... CONSTIPATION ...:censored:

I would appreciate your input on your output, so I have my my full arsenal of info ready for My Time

Had already got on my list to request stool softeners when in hospital
Did anyone start taking them just head of their Op?
UK readers - are these over the counter, or on prescription?
Does hydrating a lot in the day or so beforehand help?
Will have prunes and prune juice ready for return home
Planning on my usual fruit and veg intake
Am pretty adamant I don't want to go the laxative route

Answers on a postcard .....
 
They gave me something in the hospital for constipation but when I came home I found Weetabix and coffee in the morning was enough.
My biggest problem the first week was the time it took me to get to the bathroom. I would think I was ready to go but by the time I'd got upright, dragged myself out of bed, sorted my sticks and shuffled to the bathroom my body had decided we were doing something else and the urge was gone.
 
:thankyou: @Zelda (nothing is sacred is it?):kickedout:

Next question is - am about to order ice bags ready for my return home.:ice:
I see on Amazon the type which are circular - but there are also gel packs which you pop into the freezer and then reuse ........... any recommendations please?
 
@Miss Muffet Here's a thread from the Library all about constipation. Constipation and stool softeners Don't assume you will have this problem. It depends on your meds and how your body reacts to surgery. Warm prune juice seems to be a popular remedy on this forum.
but there are also gel packs which you pop into the freezer and then reuse
I bought a six pack of gel packs.
[Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile

You can wrap them in a tea towel and if you have several in the freezer you can ice around the clock.
 
You're going to be super prepared for all this, @Miss Muffet !
I have two gel packs which go in the freezer and a insulated sleeve they slide into. I found they were more flexible than actual ice. They take about four hours to freeze solid so I had one freezing and one in use all the time. Like these, only I didn't use the straps.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJYLDSC/?tag=ate362da-21
 
Always a mine of helpful information @Jaycey :goodpost:and also thank you @Zelda!:thankyou:
WHERE else would you get such instant response.
I mean, you could Google all day and not receive all the personal experience and detail we are so lucky to receive here. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What is it that physically happens
In my case what was supposed to be a round ball (head of femur) was actually worn flat and half way slipped out of the socket. No cartilage anywhere on the joint. It was all wear and tear and my dysplasia didn't help matters.
Am beginning to wonder if I should contact my GP and ask if I can have some crutches to help take the load
I think I suggested this previously. Frankly there are no meds that will touch this bone on bone pain. But I can confirm even one crutch will take the weight off that hip. Please do call your GP. Tell them it's urgent.
 
Just another tip - I was working in an NHS hospital when I had my spinal surgery. I was so terrified the head of theatres asked me to come and chat with her and have a tour of the area. Didn't help calm my fears but one tip she gave me was to start drinking probiotic yogurt drinks everyday. She said it would help keep nasty bugs away pre-op. I did this and it worked. Have been drinking one everyday since then and I really do think they work. Totally unscientific - but worked for me!

Other suggestion - stay away from small children and crowds from now until your op. You don't want a cancellation due to illness. Yes, you may have to say no to visits or errands but it's all for a good cause.
 
Probiotics on the shopping list then. Too late - I've got a cold/sore throat and chest thing at the moment AND grandkids have just turned up out of the blue as I type this .... It's not the norm. I'm actually rather pleased this cold has finally come out. It has been threatening for weeks. Maybe now it has materialised I'll feel brighter. I feel it is on the mend already. However, I am practically housebound now, so no shoppoing or crowds - but I will take heed of the children thing.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile Had an impromptu visitation from the grandkids today. They've left now. Absolutely LOVED having them. Hubby returned them to their rightful owners and shortly after he got back I had a massive meltdown. He then hugged me and said we now have to have a BIG rethink. I've got to do less. Everything is on hold until this Op is out of the way and afterwards everything is to be considered before we commit. Here is just one of the rooms to help illustrate a happy mess (don't ask about the kitchen) ..... Please understand it wasn't the disruption that caused me to fall apart - that can ALL get tidied in moments ..... It was simply that I couldn't play and cope with them the way I always used to .......Dear @Toddlermom THIS is why I have so much respect for you :angel:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Miss Muffet. How are you doing?
So glad the waiting time is nearly over for you. Have you got an actual date in April or did I miss that on the postings? I am doing well, back to driving which is great. Down to one stick now and hoping to strengthen glutes so that I can leave that behind too. Still have to use the raised toilet seat for another 4 to 6 weeks though (hoped to get rid of that) but other than that am doing fine. Were you asking about measurements of showers etc? In my hospital they asked about the height of bed, sofa and toilet. I was given a raised loo seat and crutches on discharge. Hope this helps. Hugs and keep in touch xx
 
@Gillywigs - you just popped up. How lovely to hear from you. I missed you! Yes am scheduled for 14 April and counting down the days. So excited for you driving again and ONE stick! They've not asked for me to take measurements with me to preOp, which I thought they would. But I'm going to make sure I have that info with me anyway. I could live with a raised loo for a bit - you're doing SO well it's a small price eh?! I'm going to contact my GP and ask for crutches on Monday - things seem to have deteriorated and Jaycey recommended it. Make sense to ease the load when the pain is so draining. Everything will be resolved soon and then I'll be comparing notes with you about recovery. Can't wait. Hugs back and thanks for your post :flwrysmile:xxx
 
@Miss Muffet I know this funk. You must have KNOWN that I am in the middle of it today. You love them and they completely overwhelm your ability to manage, play, or focus their energy. Or pick anything up!!!! The kids were at my Mother-in-law's last night, and hubby is bringing them home and going to work again tonight. I just want to go on vacation for 1 whole month...get my body together and shake this wash of the blues.

Then I 'put on my big girl panties' and get on with it the best that I can. I just keep telling myself that my weakened state is still pretty ok....hubby works 3 nights next week. UGH!!! Anyway, you WILL get back to Grandma duties....promise! Take care of yourself now.
 
It's hard to do less beforehand because you feel the enforced resting of recovery looming over you. I had days when I did too much just to prove I could still do normal things.
But not long now!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom