Guest viewing is limited

Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh @Zelda - how right you are. I've had a rough night with this cold and chest (with a delightful spot of thrush into the mix) on top of a "heavy" couple of days which has laid me a bit low. It clearly IS us fighting to keep doing stuff as we are conscious that we'll be grounded for such a patch after surgery. Hubby is now being strict and lecturing me about not wanting anything delayed. He's so keen to see me fixed.
@Toddlermom - you are a trooper and, yes that sheer frustration and desire to be "normal"
Bridge Jones knickers on and I will get the lamb in the slow cooker (which will cook itself and make the house smell gorgeous) fold some laundry and then do some desk work. Sitting isn't a problem provided I get up and move around at intervals, and I do have a decent desk chair. After that I'll reward myself with a spot of chalk pastelling, which is always guaranteed to take my mind off everything. And if I feel like flopping on my lovely bed - I will!
@Zelda - It's a fabulous sunny spring day here. Hope all is well up in Scotland. Where are you exactly? I happen to have been born in Fife
Bless you for keeping in touch! :angel:
 
I've got to do less. Everything is on hold until this Op is out of the way and afterwards everything is to be considered before we commit.
Your husband is very wise. You do need to start giving yourself priority. It takes all the energy you have to deal with the pre-op pain. Then there are the nerves about surgery.

Be good to yourself my friend. This is not at all selfish. This is about conserving your energy and getting to a very healthy place pre-op. There will be plenty of play time with grand kids once this is all done and dusted.
 
I'm in Aberdeenshire. It's been a nice day here too and I managed to get out for a (very) brief walk along the river and then coffee at the garden centre. It's the most I have done so far so I've now got my feet up. It was so good to get out in the sunshine and see all the signs of spring!

Look after yourself. You need to go into surgery feeling as fit and well as you can!
 
I'm strangely thrilled with my 2 grabbers and sock gadget! I thought I'd practise using the grabbers ready for the off so I got the hang of them, but find that actually they are incredibly practical preOp. I don't have to bend to stuff and retrieve things from the washing machine and tumble dryer, also brilliant for pulling up the back of my slipper socks, and they manage to pick up the tiniest objects quite easily. The sock gadget is such a simple but brilliant idea - works a dream and so easy to use. Makes me smile whenever I use these now (which has to be good eh?). Have also ordered a nice bed tray/table. I read the reviews carefully as some were not rated well because they risked collapsing - and the idea of having that happen would be very upsetting - others weren't tall enough to allow for decent leg room, and definitely worthwhile getting the sort with handles and a good rim, to prevent slippage I'd encourage anyone to get these in their arsenal sooner rather than later. Anything that helps our poorly hips has to be an boon!
 
It's great you are using your tools pre-op. I had to use those tools post spinal surgery so already had the practice. It does make it so much easier when you don't have to learn new ways of doing these activities just post op. You will be a pro!
 
@Cynthia777 - I know ..... (groan). :gaah:
Will just get a hammer to it and see if I can magnify it (I can't read it too, and I wrote it!) :banghead:
Stand by for a TEST in a sec .......
 
Righto everyone. Today's topic is postOp Drug Management .....

I'm guessing there will be a bit to juggle and keep on top of, especially when taking them at what sounds to be 4-hourly intervals and through the night :chillpill:
Some of you talked about a mobile phone App, some mentioned a spreadsheet.
I like the latter idea but that won't work on my iPad, which I'll always have to hand

How do/did you manage yours? :what::what::what:
Looking forward to your suggestions - I know I can count on my Smarties:friends:
 
Hubby kept a list. Low tech. But we kep meds up high and out of reach of kids....
 
After both THRs I had a print out of a spreadsheet with spaces to record the time I took any meds. I would not trust myself to update anything electronic in the early days. Paper meant I had a reminder at hand every time I took any meds.
 
I am using an app called Medisafe - it seems to be quite good. You put in all the medications that you are taking, the dosages and time intervals and it reminds you to take them. Once you have taken them or if you choose to skip that dose, you tap the appropriate option. You can pull a report on which ones you have taken and which ones you have chosen to skip.

I like it - I will most likely continue to use it. Plus the reminder noise is a pill bottle shaking - kinda cute!
 
I used the alarm feature on my iPhone. I had the times all set, so I never had to worry about remembering. Keep in mind, even if you tell the nurses every four hours, it most likely won't happen. Since I was so wired post-op and wide awake for two days, I just made sure to press that call button fifteen minutes before my next dose was due (pesky little thing I was). I kept the nurses laughing, so they really never minded coming into my room to see what I needed. I had even thought of having hubby bring a nice tray of cookies for the nurses station just so they wouldn't forget about me (instead I used my conning skills). :heehee:
 
Thanks for the head's up on that app, @JMACCA. My mum has a lot of tablets to take and gets flustered over what and when so that sounds ideal.
 
I am using an app called Medisafe - it seems to be quite good.
thanks for that Juanita. I've downloaded it. It looks pretty straightforward so will trial it as a reminder system between now and surgery for my current meds to see how I get on. I think @Cynthia777 's idea about alarm setting is a good one - :alarm: I really don't want to get behind on pain relief in hospital, so will adopt the 15 minute warning on phone then be super-sweet to my nurses. I was actually going to get hubster to bring in a nice basket of fruit for them - (and no way is that bribery to be nice to me!) :angel:
 
@Zelda I think the app would work for your mum. One of the features that I like, especially when people need to take a lot of meds (from what I have heard about post op there seems to be a lot), you can choose the appearance and colours of your tablets - that way you can check what is being given to you, or check what you are dispensing to yourself.

I hope you like it @Miss Muffet

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom