THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

Probably at least until you have had your other hip done @Miss Muffet!

Ok, cards on table, I was a bit concerned when my carer started throwing some of my comments to her back at me, eg "Didn't you see that pot hole?", "What did you say the speed limit was here?"

However I made it, so am quietly content

Interesting re the pallet. I didn't realise until I had arrived home from hospital that our stairs were about twice the height of those in the hospital and particularly the first one. We had to make a temporary stair out of some bricks we had in the garage. I am thinking of selling it to the Tate Modern
 
@Miss Muffet You sound great! I have a client that has had both hips replaced and she was so happy when I returned to work and was walking so well. She said, and I agree, " this is one surgery that the Dr's have down right!" It's so true.. keep up the good work.. loved the cake picture, BTW!
 
@Miss Muffet so glad to hear you are doing well! Glad to hear you and the Mister are at least back on speaking terms. It's a good reminder to make sure we're communicating and not just expecting our families to anticipate our needs. Keeping a sense of humor can get us through a lot, I think. Is the OA fog lifting? That was such an accurate way of describing the fog of pain and stiffness we can be in sometimes. Love your posts and insights for all of us coming along behind. :ok:
 
@CricketHip - yes, I only commented the other day about what a fabulous job my OS has. Imagine people hobbling into your consulting room in pain, feeling depressed and deflated about life in general because of this debilitating disease. :old: Then 6 short weeks later they arrive smiling and full of gratitude.
What a job eh?! :bow:
@TriciaGP - yes the fog has lifted already. Full of optimism about getting Leftie sorted out - and then life will be just one long zip wire.
No stopping me! :fasthorse: :hiking::bicycle1::tennis2::tennis::swim::walking::upright::bicycle2::realing::surfer:
:kayak:
 
That is a wonderful way to put it @Miss Muffet! The problem that come with OA onset so slowly that you almost don't even realize it until it's debilitating. Then it's hard to decide the right thing to do because of the pain and depression. Many Friday morning hugs to you!! ( not morning your time now so afternoon hugs too)!
 
@TriciaGP - It creeps up on you, but once it bites it doesn't let go. I kept a pain diary in the build up to my hip injection and since then at intervals. What is shows me is just how bad a way I was in and what an impact it had on my mood and outlook generally. The gradual restriction it made on my life was noticeable. My BS thread is pretty much my diary since then, although I am keeping a note of how things are improving, really just as a record to refer to when I have my second replacement. I've just seen your postOp thread and hope all continues to go well. No looking back now. Thank you for my Friday hugs - and have some back for yourself!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized that I've been following your progress and never commented. YOU are my current hero! Your sense of humor is spot on! I'm learning so much from you - thank you. ~ ~ I'll also keep an eye out after mine to see if DH is nosing around to draw up divorce papers......he doesn't do well in matters concerning the house, bill, cooking, care-taking. We'll learn together (I hope!). Good idea to keep a 'pain diary'.....I just thought back to when I began backing myself into his low-slung car.......and the thoughts for so long in my life that my back was killing me!!! You cheer me on.....and are a great inspiration to all of us. Continue to up-date us so we know what to expect.
 
@Nana2-8 - so glad you've enjoyed the posts, but how funny I just logged on to see your comment posted only 5 minutes before (and you all the way over there!). :heehee:
Check your inbox as I've sent you the blurb you asked for and hope it's useful.
My best advice is prepare ....... I am convinced my recovery had been smoother because I asked questions, got answers and got organised. I'm sure you will too :flwrysmile:
 
Totally enjoying your journey! I am about 4 weeks from hip two and I know I need to get reorganized! Hope you have a great weekend.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@jomarie58 -
:hi: Gosh that second one has come round soon. How exciting! You were someone I followed in my early Bonesmart days as you progressed through your first journey and am so happy to hear you'll be fully operational on two pins soon. I love the continued chain of support, advice and storytelling - it meant a great deal to me and feel a friendly duty to continue that trend. I watch others pick up and learn and see how the hand-holding just keeps on propagating. I have a great belief in the buddy system as it has done me a huge favour. Do you have a date then? Remind us in your signature - I will be very interested to follow how things go for you. Lovely to hear from "old" established friends! :friends:
 
Morning All :SUNsmile:
A word to the wise ....... :idea:

Yesterday I was a smart posterior and today I have a pain in the same region.
2 weeks out and I was becoming gradually aware that I could stand and walk without any aids at all. I found myself moving about on occasion without even thinking about reaching for them.
The "wet nappy walk" was replaced by upright stature and pretty easy movement - naturally I was delighted. Last evening I even announced to Mr M that I felt it was high time I resumed full duties ........
However, the mistake I made was to assume my progress would follow that same gradual curve.
I got a bit carried away :oyvey:
You can't make assumptions or take liberties with your bod :bignono:
This isn't a tale of woe - far from it. I've just learned a lesson.
I overdid it yesterday and as a result had an uncomfortable night and morning. So am now giving myself a sharp tap on the wrist as a result.
The good news is I'll be taking it much easier today (walking aids on demand) so the husband is enslaved once again :loll:
(I actually think he's enjoying being in charge :wink:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah @Miss Muffet, is he enjoying being in charge or being enslaved!! :heehee: I have come to the conclusion its two good days and then take a day of rest for recovery. Its easy for the euphoria to take over. Its better to have a little help with a stick than give yourself a limp forever, especially as you are in line for a second replacement. Take your meds on time don't wait for the pain, listen to mamma here :rotfl:. My pain is really just my glutes and frustration at still not being able to open my legs properly or leg raise but hey, we are both only a couple of weeks in. My pt was a bit severe with me about my glute weakness and made me feel a bit deflated but i went home and thought, you know, i will just do this by myself in my own time. Listen to your bod honey. Your hubby sounds like a fab man to have around, tell him we all love him for helping you so much. Take care, everyone on here is loving you. :friends::flwrysmile: Remember this :bricks::blackcloud:now its mostly this :happydance::dancy:
 
Gosh - really @DeepBreath and @PS46? And you are a long way ahead of me......
It has been a lesson to me for being silly and I know you'll both understand how easy it is to get excited about progress. I now get a kick out of being able to go up and down stairs like a "real person", but after yesterday's episode I think I'll at least have a stick with me (rather than push it) for a while. I've really noticed how much Leftie is grumbling now that Rightie has had all the attention. However, we're allowed a niggle now and then and to get everything into perspective this has still been a life changing event for me for which I am so grateful.
 
Hi @Miss Muffet

Firstly, I am totally with you on lefty "grumbling" now that righty has been done. Spoke to doc on Friday about initiating the next one

In terms of pushing it/jolts etc., with me it's a combination of slight over confidence, tiredness and carelessness. For example, I tried to do too much yesterday and stumbled quite heavily on a protruding kerbstone at a cashpoint machine. Ok, it should not have been protruding, but I should have been more vigilant. Maybe, it is a sign of treating my new hip as "normal", but there is a happy balance somewhere

It's back to the Jazz Festival today, but I will look for more opportunities to sit down and tomorrow (Monday) I am going to do absolutely nothing, other than play my new Uke and rest!

Think I am there with the stairs there ...

Like your comment about getting a "kick" out of it!

Could not agree more with and echo your last sentence

Time for some more zzzzzzzz
Peter
 
Yessiree - I think over confidence but also overlooking that I'm not yet 'there'! When the recovery feels smooth it's so easy to look on it as getting over a cold - in a few days it will have blown over. That kerb incident made me wince. I felt that jolt on your behalf. :headbang: I've heard from other hippies that they sometimes overlook picking their feet up adequately. It doesn't sound like you did that. Am off on an exciting outing to the garden centre today to chat to the pond man and maybe sneak in a Sunday latte (I know .... but I'm not driving , so it's ok)
Enjoy the festival (BTW nice of them to put that on in honour of your birthday. :wow: :yay::happydance::egypdance: :spin:) and yes, do park yourself whenever possible. Hope it all goes well - should be fun :cheers:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom