THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

Hi @Miss Muffet

Good to see you are able to get off the tuffet and move around a bit, but take it easy, it's early days!

Next time you email God, could you ask him please why Arsenal aren't going to win the Premier League this year? I was so optimistic and now all I have is abuse from my family ...

Best wishes
Peter
 
An equivalent favourite Yorkshire expression would be "A right bag of mashings". But don't get too carried away. Make up is a swipe of foundation to make me look less like uncooked pastry, have cultivated a nice zit and I panda eyes from lack of sleep. So not exactly my sparkling best.
Oh my goodness, you crack me up, @Miss Muffet. 'A right bag of mashings' - I plan on working that into a casual conversation very soon. :)
Ah, the ZIT. Yes, I developed a third eye right below my nose prior to my first surgery. The joy!
I love your updates. They are extremely entertaining and full of good information for newbies.
Writing about the transition from being wired to The Dumps made me nod my head. That can hit you fast and hard. I'm glad things are settling and that the attorney has been put on hold. :wink:
Healing vibes are flowing for you. Keep up the great work!
 
hello @Miss Muffet !! Look at you, look at you!! Your detailed account of your surgery day was spot on. I was laughing and nodding as I read your post. A true miracle... we are so blessed to live in an era where this is so well executed. (maybe executed was a wrong word??? ) but the proof is in the pudding,, and we all bounce back rather quickly.
I am at the 7 month mark now and I still grin from ear to ear while walking or hiking. Am getting ready to go out for a long walk with the trusty yellow lab and I enjoy it (the walking) so much!
@Hip Hip Hooray! mentioned this a while back and I meant to comment on it so will now.. it was with much gratitude that I donated to this wonderful website.. I cannot imagine going through that surgery without having my fears lessoned by the many Bone smarties that have taken the time to tell their stories. Of course Josephine, Jaycey, Jaimie and others that help guide us are invaluable, too.
Enjoy your special healing time, Miss Muffet,, you sound fabulous!
:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Muffet , I just love reading your expressive accounts of your healings. Good times -- I also have the husband who would like to file papers :reading: but he has now been reminded that after all these years we've been married he isn't capable of taking care of himself, much less a house, meals and bills. I think the second hip in three months has sent his brain on a vacation. He is able to tune me out as I shout, I need XYZ, the dogs want to go out, help me with my socks, my shoes, what have you taken out of the freezer for dinner? He claims he didn't/doesn't hear and then he reminds me that "I shouldn't be doing so much". Huh? I remind him that, even though he pretends to be healthy and never needs a doctor, I have new parts and his are all worn out; I will pass him very soon. :froggies:

Take it easy and get that new hip operating well before you go for the other. I waited three months and I'm now having a bit of swelling in the first hip because I am really depending on it to compensate for the newly replaced hip. I'm glad I now have them both finished, but I've got a lot of strengthening and building to do to regain my balance. The really good thing about doing them about 3 months apart, I have everything in place and I might as well dedicate these few months to repair both hips. Also, walking with the uneven legs has thrown my muscles off and I'm glad I didn't do that for too many months. You are look'n good Muffie!:spider:--julie:spider::spider:
 
@Miss Muffet - First of all, congratulations and many wishes for healing and wellness!

Secondly, a huge THANK YOU from this nutty newbie for your thread and for detailing your honest in-hospital experience.

I am scheduled for a left total hip replacement on May 17th and it will be done the posterior approach. I read your account with such focus and rapt attention because I think the not knowing what to expect causes so much stress. I'm fine at times and at other times I am ... well, let's say "not fine." The panic/fear comes back and I find myself in the second guessing mode again. I've been told my surgeon knows how to do anterior and knows how to do posterior approaches, and is going with posterior for me. I know results are what matter, but I can't help but thinking are we doing this a harder way than necessary? I mean, I do speak with all the knowledge and wisdom of someone who has been comparing the approaches online for a full week now. (Grin)

I'm just scared. Not backing out of doing it scared, but scared. I am planning on taking the joint class next week and I've been warned that the precautions they are required to tell you are frightening. When it was described to me, I thought about the disclaimers that are now said in a lowered voice on the pharmaceutical commercials - the voice over says, "Drug XYZ may cause fatigue, projectile vomiting and homicidal rage. Discontinue use if your skin rash does not improve."

Wanted you to know @Miss Muffet that your story helps, and to let other nervous newbies like me know that this is all part of the process.

Thank you all.
 
@Sommers16
The MOST important issue is how experienced your surgeon is in the approach he uses. I personally am happy I chose the anterior approach, however, my surgeon has done 100's and 100's using this approach. Had he not done a lot of THR's using the anterior approach and had done a lot of posterior approaches, given the choice, I would have chosen the posterior. The learning curve using the anterior approach is quite lengthy. Just my opinion. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 - thank you for that! I appreciate it. :ok:

@Miss Muffet - I'm sorry I hijacked your post a bit. I really did mean just to explain why I am grateful for yours and others contributions here. You deserve all the spotlight here. Keep up the good work on your recovery and story chronicling. :flwrysmile:
 
@Sommers16 - no problem at all. You're not intruding in the slightest. Am so happy if my posts have helped. I simply logged what I thought and felt. If you read my preOp thread you'll see I was fearful and unsure. This is purely borne out of inexperience and that's where BS came in to my rescue. It is honestly a lifesaver. @Cynthia777 and I come from the same stable on that score. There wasn't a single aspect I didn't drive myself insane with worry over! She's right - get the best guy for the job. Then park your faith with them to do their bit. You'll see that I had posterior and am coping just fine. If you've got specific questions you want to ask you can always inbox me if you'd rather and I'll be more than happy to help. Although sometimes shared anxieties can help others. Everyone is right - waiting is the hardest bit. Rather like waiting to take an exam - you're all fired up and anxious, but once you're getting on with it you look back and think why did I put myself through all that angst? Am following you now so keep in touch whenever you want - it's lovely to meet new people on here!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Sommers16

Hopefully you will have seen from the posts you have read that despite all their to their respective routes to where they are now, everybody has had similar anxieties. BUT (bad grammar I know, but who cares?!), just look at their comments now. I am sure it will be the same for you!

I won't bore you with all my story, suffice to say that I have run for most of my life and thought I had a bad back. It was exacerbated by certain things, eg flying and then one lovely summer afternoon in Palma five years ago, my wife and I were strolling through the old city and I seized up. Fortunately, there was a small bar nearby and (seriously) I had to sit there for some time before I was able to move

I then had a whole catalogue of physio, osteo and acupuncture, all of which helped, but only temporarily

Meantime, my wife must have been taking drug xyz, because she definitely appeared to be developing homicidal tendencies. She "persuaded" me to see a consultant and very quickly I learned that it was actually my hips, both of which needed to be replaced. I have no idea why, but that thought had never occurred to me

My right hip was replaced on 08 March, with my left one tba. It's my six week consultation with the surgeon later today, so fingers crossed!

Having the support of the BS community has been immense. Nothing is too much for them and they have answered all my questions quickly, with the benefit of experience, common sense and humour

Best wishes for your op
Peter
 
The boy's right! Funny how many of us either assumed the back was the problem, or were mistakenly sent up the wrong route. When you reach the Palma stage (my Palma moment was in Marbella) you have arrived at that defining moment when enough is enough. Only this morning we've been looking back at times when I was "normal" - when I could walk and do what I wanted - and compared just how quickly this OA got a grip and stole my life. The glory of the chance to seize this opportunity for life changing surgery is wonderful. We don't HAVE to poke up with what's been dealt to us by pure misfortune. Good luck today @PS46 - feedback on progress and take a pic of your up to date X-rays - love to see them!
 
:loveshwr:@Miss Muffet and @PS46 : Thank you very much and keep up your progress. There are so many beautiful, bright shining stars here bringing light and driving the dark shadows away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Miss Muffet

Back from consultation and all is fine. He pulled my leg around a bit! had a look at my scar and gave me some advice on increasing flexibility in my operated leg. He made the point (sensibly!) that when you have the op, you are not even starting from a position of "zero", ie there is plenty of effort required just to return to credit after several years of restricted mobility and bad practice.

The op was fine with no issues and he did not feel the need for another X-ray. He gave me clearance to drive and answered every question I had. Basically, he confirmed that I could just up the ante as much as I felt comfortable in doing so, but that I should bend right down and touch the floor for another six weeks, which will not be a massive issue! Raised toilet seat can be jettisoned and I can sit in a different chair

He showed me the original X ray and I will try to upload it - I took a picture of the screen

In terms of my other leg he suggested leaving it a few months, which is probably right if I can last that long, as my wife is off to Oz in September. I am cautiously confident that she will come back

All in all, I am pleased with the outcome

Cue a massive celebratory lunch of prune juice, Marmite and toast

Keep up the good work and don't sit on any low tuffets
Peter
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
    image.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by a moderator:
HI EVERYONE! Love all your wonderful input- feel I've grown some fabulous new friendships.
@PS46 well done. Great news.
I should bend right down and touch the floor for another six weeks,
. Ouch! That makes me feel slightly dizzy. I'd be especially cautious combining that with prune juice for such a long period of time ......
The good news is I've now worked out how to upload a pic of the cake I commissioned for the nursing staff who were so completely brilliant. Just to remind you I opted against a prosthetic hip and plumped for a hippie theme instead. Et voila!
[Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom