THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

So glad you are doing so well @MissMuffet !!! (Got the spelling right this time )

I take great comfort in your positive experience knowing mine is coming up pretty quickly. All your preparation and questions have helped you, as they gave helped all of us reading along!!! I am not sure how I will go with visitors in the hospital as The hospital is an hour away from my family and most of my friends so I will see how I go with that.

I love that you baked a cake! I may do so too in the days leading up to surgery to keep me busy!
Look forward to more cheery updates.


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
That's great @Miss Muffet and I have to say that it mirrors my experience too. I found all the pre op stuff really helpful and informative. This has continued post op, where I am half way through my six physio sessions

Good to see you back, we were wondering where you had gone - there would have been questions in the House today had we not received a full report

Keep up the good work!
Peter
 
Well done! So a great account too, I so wish I had done that ! Looking back now there are are gaps that I don't remember. Nothing bad I'm sure.
It's all downhill now. Take it easy rest relax and ice! Xx
 
@Horseshoe - so glad it helped. :friends: Would like to know exactly what order you're having yours done and your surgery dates. Can you add that to your signature (see mine, below) so I can keep an eye out for you? If you have questions just keep on tapping and asking. :type:
 
:hi: @Cynthia777 - am rolling along just fine thanks. Deliberately went to sleep late as I wanted to be tired. Took a bit of a shuffle around to get things just so in bed but got the pillow mix right in the end. Was told I don't have to have a pillow between my legs or elevate to sleep, (which pleased me) and elected to have a pile of feather pillows under my head. :chillpill: Slept for about 4.5 hours and then just listened to music and checked up on BS. Inevitably stiff when first getting up but it eased. Had a longish morning in bed then did my exercises, showered and dressed (with help) and came downstairs for lunch. Have elevated and iced all afternoon in front of telly. Must get up and do some more exercises. Slightly bothered that it is too easy to sit and stay put for too long in order to avoid the inconvenience of struggling to get vertical!
Just motivating for a loo trip is a nuisance. :old:

That's the downside of having help at home I guess. Mustn't get too complacent. We are evolving systems here in the Muffet household (which can involve some gripes and grumbles - chiefly because the other half hasn't experienced a hip replacement, so understandable). Things will fall into some sort of pattern over the course of the next few days - communication is key. How's Cindy? :friends:
 
I thought you'd have had Mr Muffet all set up with lists and instructions so he would know exactly what a hip replacement is like!

It's interesting reading the differences in procedures and funny how the detail changes but most people basically say, wow, that was easier than I expected.
 
You sound so good and that makes me happy! :happydance:

Yes, those first few days of reorganizing and getting into a routine are definitely bothersome. Fortunately you've found the magic pillow potion and was able to get some sleep. I was the worst patient any OS would want to encounter. I never even did any of the exercises the OS sent home with me. I just decided to walk when I felt like it and move my legs wherever I wanted them (which did include sliding my foot up towards my bum because I like that position). Since my OS said I had absolutely no restrictions with the anterior approach, i didn't worry about any positions my op hip ended up in. I also only had one home care visit and no PT because (thankfully) I asked if they take my health insurance and they said no. I can't wait to see what the one visit from the nurse will end up costing! I'm feeling much better, thank you my dear. Just praying my WBC count will be okay when I have it checked later this week, so I can get my clearance for surgery.

I can't wait for your next detailed report!!!!! I just love your posts! xoxoxo
 
@Miss Muffet, your surgery story is among my very favorites! You are a gifted writer. :) I'm extremely impressed with your lucidity.
It sounds like you did beautifully and have had a terrific experience. Your account of the grandkids visit was just so sweet. :)
My goodness, showers and makeup! You have me beat by a mile. I'm afraid I looked like 30 kilometers of rough road for quite some time. :wink:
Keep up the good work! I look forward to more wonderful updates. :)
 
@Miss Muffet - Loved your detailed account of your first hip adventure! You are doing so great and seem to be taking excellent care of yourself- especially with the "pile of feather pillows" under your head - love it! Just reading that made me want to take a nap! :sleep: You're doing splendidly. Congrats to you!
 
@Zelda - you have to be kidding. Sure I went to the trouble of downloading and saving Word docs of all the BS recovery advice together with Mr Muffet's Survival Bible :idea: and when I checked up on a snippet of detail on both was informed he'd not even looked at them. :banghead:

@DeepBreath - just love the 30 kilometres of rough road expression. Hilarious! :heehee: An equivalent favourite Yorkshire expression would be "A right bag of mashings". But don't get too carried away. Make up is a swipe of foundation to make me look less like uncooked pastry, have cultivated a nice zit and I panda eyes from lack of sleep. So not exactly my sparkling best.:scare:

@Cynthia777 - do envy your no restrictions. It turned out that rather than the lateral approach, which I had assumed from the OS's description I would have, I had posterior. Oh the times I just want to pick stuff up then reach for my grabber which is pretty good, but has its limitations. For example when I asked why the lovely flowers given to me have been displayed in a variety of jugs "rather than using some of the containers in the vase cupboard?" The response was "which vase cupboard is that?" This, is clearly why we have to create a Survival Bible. The flower displays themselves are not exactly Constance Spry and my grabber just doesn't seem to cope with the intricacies required to give them justice.
Anyway, my scar is longish and banana shaped (approx 12"). Got Mr M to take pics on the reveal day (3 days postOp) and this morning (Day 4). I can't get the right angle, so he has become Official Photographer of The Royal Wound. I will continue to keep a record as it is apparent that in just 24 hours there is a difference. No bruising yesterday and it's emerging today, though the magic icing really does make a difference (take note Newbies). :ice: My dressing came off 48 hours after surgery and remains naked (including showering). I have soluble stitches and a spot of Superglue apparently (so no visits to remove staples or stitches). I know it's past icing time when my thigh resembles an unpricked sausage in a hot frying pan.
Well you know we all are with you on the WBC count - what day is it due? Positive thoughts :angel:and prayers :prayer:always.
The Doc at the hospital said it is ok for me to take half a Nytol to help with sleep. I'm taking the plunge tonight as I haven't really slept since the night before my Op. Bowels still on holiday. More reporting from The Front soon. Nytol Nytol all
 
@Miss Muffet ... So glad to read your post-op account! Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! Well wishes for continued recovery and freedom from pain. Yours was one of the first threads I read when I started lurking here a few weeks ago and I have very much enjoyed it. You have a wonderful flair for writing. Your pre-op questions and your post-op account have helped me tremendously. Being as well prepared as you were seems to have paid off with a successful surgery and a good start on recovery. Look forward to seeing your posts regularly!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Miss Muffet
Not sure if you remember, but I only slept about 3 hours the night before surgery and not at all for two nights in the hospital (I was so wired for some strange reason), but on the third night in the hospital I asked for a sleeping pill which did the trick. After night three I had no problem sleeping and without any sleeping pills.

I had the funniest visual of you trying to arrange your flowers with your grabber! So funny! :heehee:

I won't be having my wbc count taken until Thursday. My PCP wants me to wait because I'm on the antibiotics. Fingers crossed! I just can't imagine having to reschedule again because I'm so ready to get this over with.

You sound great! :spin:
 
@Miss Muffet So glad you made it through nerves and the op and are doing good!
Seriously, don't feel guilty about laying around all the time. That's pretty much what I did and I ended up with a great result! I never had any PT at all. I did the heel slides and splay leg stretch thingy (laying down, with knee bent up and letting leg fall to the side) maybe once a day if I remembered to, which wasn't even every day. And that was it besides walking around the house a bit every few hours. I've healed up so quick and have already gone back to work full-time at 6 weeks post op. So you just lay there all you want and let your body heal itself while you relax!
:alarm:
 
@Miss Muffet What a delight to read all your updates, kept a smile on my face throughout your epistle! And I firmly agree that all the PT stuff is overrated. I really haven't done a thing, mainly because I'm not permitted to, and my hip is healy superbly! So continue to enjoy the next few weeks doing absolutely nothing but pampering Miss Muffet!:bath:
 
Morning Smarties :hi: Well the Nytol did the trick! I do agree with @Cynthia777 - wired is the word. It was explained to me that all the adrenaline we produce in the build-up to our surgery (concerns, anxieties, preparation) plus what our bodies have had to cope with in terms of continuing pain levels and then, finally surgery, it comes as no surprise. I know for a fact that I was buzzing - coped with visitors, hiked back and forth to the loo on crutches ....a veritable wasp on steroids. .. Now I'm home again I feel things are settling - I slept for 5 hours, loo visit then another another 4. The temptation, for the first time, to lie on my side happened after the loo break. It passed. I do feel refreshed as a result. What we have to remember too (take note Newbies) is that after the adrenaline rush and euphoria comes the Big Dump .... This is when the tears may start, seemingly for no obvious reason. (I think Mr M may well have drafted our divorce papers fairly soon after my arrival home). It is purely frustration - stuff may not be where we want it to be, you forget to add something to the list of requests when someone comes into the room, irritation with your body for not behaving quite like a 15 year old gymnast for goodness sake! I think "they" have as much to learn as we do. After all it is "our" first hip job. Again, communication is the key - mine happened after a minor tearful episode - and we have a mutual understanding that I have regular needs (meds, ice, assistance) which have to be interlocked with his pattern. It is working and I'm hopeful that the lawyers have been called off for the time being.

@TriciaGP -:welome:. Am following you now and happy if I've helped. I've learned so much from BS and am delighted to pick up the baton. You'll do the same I'm sure. The sister/brotherhood in here is quite remarkable and precisely what I needed. Do add your surgery details and date to give signature so we're all reminded about what and when.

To the rest of my fab buddies - @Rutabaga and @keepmovin - thanks for exercise reassurance

And @shirleyH - ah there you are:xmark:. :wowspring: How great to hear from you and glowing. I nearly missed your post (chop off that extra T at the end of my name and I'll catch you) must be the drugs! Will check if you've set up a postOp thread. So pleased all is well up there. Frosty shining morning here too. Isn't it pretty! Keep in touch.

@Cynthia777 - Thursday's on my mind. All will be fine - I've emailed God (and he listens)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom