Guest viewing is limited

THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

Miss Muffet I have a question for you since you have been kind enough to message me in the pre-op area. We have been invited to have Thanksgiving with my family who live an hour and a half from my house. My friend will be just two weeks out from surgery. How difficult will it be for him to ride this far? Impossible? Risky? Stupid?
Thanks!
 
@Floridagal - hi Amy Jo. I think it may be a bit uncomfortable. It is hard to generalise though because I was managing short car journeys (say half an hour or so) as a passenger at 2 weeks. I'd be inclined to have a few trial outings to see how he fares coping with getting in/out of the car. Ours is a 4x4 Range Rover and I was ok with it but would have found a lower slung vehicle much trickier. And I'd definitely aim to break up the journey as sitting any length of time means he'll feel quite stiff. However then there's the evening's events as well. He should sit with legs elevated and will probably want to ice during the evening too. I think you'll get more of a handle on this as you get nearer to the event itself. Others on here may have helpful input on this too.
 
OK - throwing this one out to glean everyone else's instructions.

My BFF BoneSmartie has expressed concern that I am told to stop my anti-inflamatories for just 5 days preceding my Op.

For those not yet aware, the reason we have to stop is because these meds have a blood thinning effect which is obviously not a good plan when we are about to have surgery.

Apparently she was expressly told to stop them for 3 weeks ahead of her Op which alarmed her when she learned that I'll be off mine for a much shorter period. This was the instruction I was given ahead of my previous THR too and I was reminded about it again today at my preOp assessment.

It seems like quite a big difference and I would be really interested to hear what instructions others on here have been given.

Thanks Team BoneSmart
 
I was told to stop my diclofenac which is a nsaid for just a few days. I don't remember how many. 3-5 maybe.
 
I was told to stop all NSAID s a full 10 days prior to my THR. My OS won't consider anything less than that due to blood thinning and risk of intraoperative hemorrhage. I don't think I ever heard of a 5 day period, interesting.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I never stopped my NSAID and I did specifically ask about this pre-op RTHR. Go with your surgeon's instruction. Five days of coping is enough!
 
Thanks @Jaycey - clearly it is down to different countries/hospitals/surgeons.
I agree, 5 days is plenty :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
I take celebrex and could take it up to surgery but any other NSAIDs needed to stop 10 days before.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I know you will have the "pill warden" (Mr. M) all ready.....but did you pack chap stick into your bag? ~ I can't wait for Nov 8 to get here (I have my own reasons as you know) but also so that you get this whole shebang behind you and on the way to final recovery!!! Counting down the days with you. You're in my special thoughts and prayers.
 
10 days for me. My sister's OS gave her the same instructions prior to her back surgery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Miss Muffet My pre op list says I have to stop 7 days before surgery. Not just of my meloxicam but of all supplements as well. :(

I'm counting down the days till your surgery with you!! :yay:
 
Ah thanks @Tweetybrd. Makes me feel SO much better only having to endure 5 days then. I'm actually allowed to take other stuff including vitamins/supplements. It was only the anti-inflams they are concerned about. Either way just be prepared for that tricky patch - have crutches by then (if not already) and use ice when hurting - and take it easy. Thanks for the countdown. I'll probably beat @gullimac - as the 8th starts a little earlier over here!
 
@Miss Muffet My OS said ten days and also no supplements. Good luck to you on your long awaited surgery. You have so many of us cheering you on. Keep us posted on your progresss. We are all here for you my dear!
 
Hello @SwimGirl - thank you for your input. It is clearly a sign that there are lots of differing views depending on where you are and who is doing your surgery.
And thank you for your sweet encouraging words. The support on here gives out a warm fuzzy feeling :friends:
 
@Miss Muffet ! Your time draws near! I'm so excited for you. I hope you are feeling thoroughly prepared and ready to go. I don't know why I can't post on Bonesmart lately by my phone, only on the laptop. It just says "Oops! Something's wrong!" when I try. I hope this surgery goes super smoothly for you. It's almost been 8 months since my second surgery and I am feeling terrific. When I look back on surviving on NSAIDs pre-surgery, it seems like a distant nightmare. I never take them anymore. I wish the same relief for you. :flwrysmile::happydance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom