THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

I just kept taking the diclofenac, @Miss Muffet . I know there are problems with long term use but it was the one thing I found that actually kept the pain down.
 
I had to go off my diclofenac on Monday this week prior to surgery and let me say.....ouch! Everyone at school noticed I was limping and moving slowly, kept having to explain I am off meds prior. Funny but I was feeling like I could maybe put off hip two.....but this shows me I am doing the right thing to have the surgery!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Thanks ladies - and yes, @jomarie58 I was the same when I had to stop taking it for the 5 days prior to my last hip surgery and had to rely on Paracetamol alone. It was really hard.
Not long now for you ..... :cheers:
 
I went and asked if I could swap my Diclofenac for Tylenol.
I was told Tylenol is exactly the same as Paracetamol (it's just the US name for it).
I'm so sorry - I totally missed that you are in the UK!
 
Good morning to everyone in Bonesmartland - I've just reached the 6 week mark so thought I'd give a quick résumé of how the land lies here. TEDS and aspirin now ditched. :wowspring:
Have been side sleeping for a while now and am very comfortable. Walked to local pharmacy a couple of days ago with no crutches or stick. Yesterday went to granddaughter's school sports day. Took stick just as backup, but didn't really need it. Coped absolutely fine. I do experience pain from Leftie but am keeping up with Diclofenac and Paracetamol and find that it is important to keep moving as it seems the stiffness is as much the culprit as anything. If I'm stiff I don't want to walk, so taking regular meds keeps me active. I wear a pedometer to keep an eye on my activity level. :running:
This activity has helped me drop a couple of pounds already, which brings on a smile and is less stress on poor Leftie.
The raised loo seats, shower stool and shower step are all going up into the loft ready for hip 2. :wowspring:
I've been given clearance to drive so this weekend my beloved and sadly neglected little Muffetmobile will have a wash and tyre check and get fuelled up then Mr M will ride shotgun as I go out and test my new leg. Of course I'm wary that Leftie will be ok (remember this is UK and I'm driving a manual car, :driver: so It has to cope with engaging the clutch) - really wish I could have it dealt with sooner.
Oh and I wear my beautiful scar as a badge of honour (the thigh is less beautiful, but nonetheless grateful).
Keep in touch everyone :friends: :cheers: :console2:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
    6 weeks.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 241
Look at you merry Miss Muffet! Your progress is going so well! Oh dear, a clutch! I tried driving a stick shift as a teen and jerked all across a vacant parking lot. I decided an automatic was the car for me! :heehee:

Can't wait to hear how your test drive goes. :friends:
 
So glad you are going so well. I am up at 3am after a horrible nightmare awoke me(non THR related-a man was trying to abduct me!)- I've found these last few days I have been waking up in the night and I usually sleep all the way through. Must be the excitement/nervousness. I have some sleeping tablets- I may take them for the next few nights so I'm not a zombie!
Your scar looks great! I'd be proud of it too!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Thanks friends. Love you all and your wonderful support. It's good to feel "normalish" again, albeit that I need balancing up, but I see this as me being 50% of the way there.

There are hidden bonuses like I have a sneaky feeling my flaky pastry nails are looking a smidgeon better. Also, during my cunning escape trip to the hairdresser, I elected to have a couple of inches lopped off my thin, stringy, lank hair. I will never know if the reason behind its condition is due to the drugs or, as has been suggested, stressing over pain/imminent surgery .... However the pruning session seems to have pumped a spot of life into my tresses.

I really DO wonder about the stress thing. The impact our minds and imagination can have on our physical wellbeing is not to be underestimated - which makes me recognise the importance, once again of Bonesmart. Stretching out and being offered a helping hand to ease me through this process has most definitely played a big part in getting my head into the right place which I swear has contributed enormously to my recovery.
 
Oh dear, a clutch! I tried driving a stick shift as a teen and jerked all across a vacant parking lot.
@Cynthia777 And @DeepBreath - Just wait and see whether my attempts aren't dissimilar! :loll:

@dandy_candi - I was just the same in the build-up. Nightmares, disturbed sleep, waking early - I reckon it was down to an overactive imagination. :tiredwheel: I was talking herbal sleeping tabs on odd nights to try and establish a better sleep pattern. Tiredness tends to increase my pain (something to do with unrelaxed muscles?) Things will settle down, and if you're like me you may find the 48 hrs ahead of surgery bring a strange and welcome calmness.
Hey you - not long now! Am very excited on your behalf :yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Muffet, it is very interesting how so many joint replacement patients seem to have post op issues with their nails, hair, and skin. It wasn't until I cut off a couple of inches of hair that mine started getting healthier. I still have issues with dry skin on my lower legs. I have to be careful to exfoliate and moisturize regularly.
 
Hi @DeepBreath - how the devil are you?
Yes, the dry skin is an issue. I went mad and razored my lower legs this morning and then lathered lotion on and I now feel more comfortable. But I've noticed it isn't just the legs, my hands and arms also need heaps of moisturising. It is encouraging to hear that your hair improved after lopping off a few inches.
 
Many members see changes in their skin and hair post op. Remember that your body has been through major trauma. Then there is the pre-op stress. Most of this will just fade away. In my case however, the almost overnight grey hair remains. Oh well - some people pay to have highlights added!
 
My legs have gone all dry and flaky this week. I thought I was was ready for it this time around and have been moisturising every day but nothing seems to help.
 
I'm telling you, I swear by taking biotin (higher dosage). My nails grew so fast I had to stop taking it and my hair stopped falling out within a week. You can google biotin for hair loss and see what the higher dosage is (Jo has advised me to not give advice, so I can't post how much i took).

@Zelda
Omg! My legs and arms have been so, so dry since surgery! I read that the best way to approach dry skin is to shower and immediately apply the moisturizer, as it will lock in the water. I'm going to see if it helps.
 
I've got a baby oil/gel thing to use after showering. One of the nurses said just to keep drinking water all the time so my body has plenty fluid to work with!
 
@Cynthia777 I googled Biotin and it turns out I'm taking it anyway as part of my usual multivit/iron tablets! I usually get complimented on the length of my nails (I'm just lazy about trimming them!) so maybe that's why!
 
@Miss Muffet I have just spent the most entertaining afternoon lying about while reading your tales of recovery! :flwrysmile: Your experience is so very helpful in calming my nerves a bit! I'm in countdown mode and seeing how your were able to maintain your fabulous sense of humor is very encouraging. I've laughed out loud at many of your updates. Has Mr M attempted a Yorkshire pudding again? :rolleyes:

Thank you for the time and dedication to your fellow Bonesmarties :roseshwr: I'm so happy to see your recovery progressing well and my gosh your garden is such a delight! A dear friend has been helping me with my yard (well mainly he's doing the work while I "supervise"!) so that I can have a bit of a place to recover with Mother Nature. You're truly an inspiration!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom