Guest viewing is limited

THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

@Josephine @Miss Muffet
I do have a bottle of diclofinac.... And I'm down to minimum doses of Percocet. Is the diclofinac effective for the muscular discomfort to take once I'm out of the Percocet?

I have a hair appt tomorrow.... So looking forward to it, as the greys are taking over! I'm hoping I don't have an energy drain....
 
Is the Diclofenac effective for the muscular discomfort to take once I'm out of the Percocet?
Ha! I get to advise the nurse!!

Actually, in my personal and professional opinion, NSAIDs (and you know Diclofenac is an NSAID, yes?) are very poor pain killers. Gram for gram they have about 40% of the pain killing power that Tylenol does. So rather than use the Diclofenac, I'd suggest you use 1,000mgs of Tylenol 3-4 times a day or 6 hrly!

I wouldn't take them now if I was paid to and many, many GPs in the UK are refusing to recommend them much less prescribe them. You could also read this to learn more about the evil of NSAIDs.
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
 
Oh yes, I know the evils of NSAIDs..... Having had back issues since the 80s I've taken more Ibuprofen than I'm sure is safe. It's always been my go-to anti inflammatory. I am noticing that much of my back discomfort is gone with the arrival of Herman. So fingers crossed that it continues and my Ibuprofen days are behind me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's all very helpful - thank you. I'll ask my GPs if they will swap my prescription.
(By the way I do also take Omeprazole, to help protect my stomach).
 
I was given a prescription for the anti-inflammatory Duexis. It has another drug in it that protects the stomach. Now here's the weird part...the cost of the drug is in the hundreds of dollars for a 30 day supply, BUT my OS had me call a pharmacy that provides it for $10! It has something to do with the manufacturer offering some type of special discount. I've attached the info on it below.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
    image.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 211
I was given a prescription for the anti-inflammatory Duexis. It has another drug in it that protects the stomach. Now here's the weird part...the cost of the drug is in the hundreds of dollars for a 30 day supply, BUT my OS had me call a pharmacy that provides it for $10! It has something to do with the manufacturer offering some type of special discount. I've attached the info on it below.

Thank You So Much @Cynthia777 ! I'm definitely saving this info....!
 
@Jillie422 and @Miss Muffet
I didn't get it from that online site, but my OS called it in to a mail order pharmacy and I received it in three days. Your OS may have his/her own pharmacy they work with. I don't have it handy, but I'll post the name of the pharmacy a little later today.
 
So rather than use the Diclofenac, I'd suggest you use 1,000mgs of Tylenol 3-4 times a day or 6 hrly!

Hi @Josephine - I went and asked if I could swap my Diclofenac for Tylenol.

I currently take 3 x Diclofenac and 3 x Paracetamol 1000 mgs daily

I was told Tylenol is exactly the same as Paracetamol (it's just the US name for it). So if I changed prescription I would removing the anti-inflam and just left with the Paracetamol. I'm nervous about reducing to that extent bearing in mind my second hip needs replacing (and is causing pain), so now I'm confused about what's best to do.
 
@Miss Muffet Tylenol is the US version of paracetamol. If you are already taking the maximum dose of paracetamol then yes you will feeling it if you remove the anti-inflammatory (tried this myself pre LTHR - ouch!). You might want to discuss other pain relief options with your GP. Unfortunately there is no known medication that controls pre-op pain. But for some there are medications that can take the edge off.
 
Thank you @Jaycey - I can see it's clearly a tricky one. I really don't think I'd cope without the anti-inflams just now, although I might be tempted to experiment on, say, a day when I've not got any commitments. Then I can think about talking to my GP, as you suggest, to explore alternatives.

The really exciting news is I've been cleared to drive now which means my world will expand as I start to regain my independence once more :driver:
 
I really don't think I'd cope without the anti-inflams just now, although I might be tempted to experiment on, say, a day when I've not got any commitments.
I did this and found that the minute you put a gap in the pain management it really does impact everything. This pain is just all consuming. Do talk to your GP but I found just staying on the meds until I had my THR was the only way to cope.

Well done on the clearance to drive! Look out world - Miss Muffet is on the road again!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom