Hip Infection Mireille's New Hip<

@Mireille

I drink grape G2 Gatorade when I’m nauseated or don’t eat enough. The electrolytes stay regulated, tastes good and helps soothe me. Hope you’re feeling better.
 
Hello fellow hipsters, Sadly, my husband's uncle passed away unexpectedly so it's been a little crazy around my house.

Regarding the new hip, I'm feeling pretty good today and hope you are too!

I finally realized that my ills from Saturday were related to that dreaded (tmi, gross) bowel movement :rotfl:. I've been walking relatively well without assistance, pain is minimal and in overall good spirits. I finally slept through the night for about 7 hours. I'm afraid I feel too good and it's all going to come crashing down and conk me in the head. I'm going to start wearing a helmet just in case. :scary:

Just had my second therapy session today and he couldn't believe how well I was doing. He had me walk, sit, march while sitting and declared that Thursday will probably be my last session. Not going to complain about that.

@hipster333 How are you holding up? I'm going to stop by your thread.

@MammaT How are you doing? Funny, you mention cheeseits because I had a weird craving for potato chips and have been eating those like crazy. The appetite is chiming back slowly now that I've taken care of business :yahoo:

@marguerite Thanks for the advice, I had totally forgotten about how much meditation and relaxation music helped me out with the knee. I've been cranking up the rainforest sounds. It's a jungle around here.

Hope everyone has a great day! :roseshwr:
 
Sorry to hear of family loss. That is always a stressful time and surgery doesn’t help.

Glad your digestive issue is resolved. Don’t know if you have noticed, but that is a big concern for many and is a joyful event.

Enjoy the days when you feel good, you may have some ups and downs, but don’t let that throw you.

Walking without assistance and 7 hours sleep! That is awesome. I have walked liked six steps without assistance. Using cane sporadically. Walker still most comfortable so staying with that. I know it will shift over the next week or two.

Enjoy the progress-don’t overdo it @Mireille.
 
Hi @Mireille
I'm sorry for your loss.

Your recovery sounds great!
And it can be, I had one, felt like such a blessing. I'm still thankful.
Just take it slow. You've had a lot of experience with knees and we always
hear hips are easier from those who've experienced both.
Hope your recovery is a piece of cake and your Tuesday great!
 
Wow @Mireille you are a rockstar! So sorry to hear about your husband's uncle. :sad: How is your family holding up?
It's incredible that you're walking around without assistance already! Did you have the anterior approach? Ah the dream of 7hours of sleep in a row--wow. I'm really happy for you (and completely jealous!) :loveshwr: I think overall I'm ok. If I could lose the pain in my back I'd be doing great. My progress has definitely been slower than yours, but still moving in the right direction and I'll be raring to go by spring:wowspring:
 
@hipster333 Thanks so much for the kind words. We're hanging in there. So sad, he was only 54, fit and healthy and had a massive heart attack while running a 5k.

I felt I had the slowest and most troublesome recovery during my TKR. I spent so many sleepless, painful nights, crying and feeling sorry for myself, reading other people's threads about how well they were doing. In all honesty, I was really happy for them and just wondered why I was such a failure. This went on for about 2 months. It was a really dark time for me. It took time to accept that there is no race, the key is to move towards recovery at your own pace and celebrate every achievement, no matter how small. I was so terrified of this hip replacement because I wasn't sure I could handle another recovery like that, so soon. It is the main reason I've been postponing my left left knee replacement. Even today, it scares the heck out of me.

I had the anterior approach. I do have a high pain tolerance, probably from years of dealing with arthritis in all my joints.

At the end of the day, we'll all get there, some quicker than others but still get there none the less.

Hope you have a great day! :roseshwr:
 
@Mireille he was way too young :(. I know you've probably heard that a lot in the last few days. Words just can't express how sad that makes me. Hugs to you.
Glad the hip has been so much better for you than the knee. After all you've been through you need an easier recovery this time. I would think this surgery would help to put off the knee surgery or is it too far gone for that on the second knee? I keep hearing from nurses and drs that I'm way too young to have to have hip surgery. You must be really tired of hearing that. :gaah:Enjoy your evening! I'll be laying in a bed of ice :loll:
 
Keep in mind @Mireille what I have seen Jaycey remind people-every recovery is different, even on the same person. Maybe when you get the other knee done it will be your best recovery!
 
All temporary dear Mireille. Just keep that mantra.
This doing great.
Wishing you a peaceful evening.:ice:
 
Hi @Mireille
I understand your fears given your last TKR but we read on BoneSmart daily that no two recoveries are
ever alike, even with the same person. That offers hope for your next knee replacement. You've been through a lot, I'll bet you do great when the time comes. Plus you'll have us to cheer you on! :yay:

@hipster I'm sorry but I get irritated when people say "way too young" That is an ignorant statement to me especially coming from a medical professional. It is difficult enough to deal with the idea that your Joint is failing you, let alone people acting like you're a freak of nature because of it.
What about quality of life?
Suffer and deal with the pain for another 15 yrs until you're an "acceptable" age? :nah:
What the frog! :froggies:
 
@Layla Mireille's husband's uncle was way too young to pass away. I was also saying that I'm tired of people telling me that I'm way too young for a hip replacement. Completely agree with you that it's unprofessional and does make me feel like a freak of nature sometimes. Thankfully with modern technology they are able to give back the quality of life that we'd be missing otherwise.
Thanks @Mojo333 for pointing that out. Because the 333 was left off I wasn't alerted to the thread.
 
Hi @Mojo333
Was responding to hipster333 mentioning she is tired of hearing from doctors and nurses that she is /was too young for hip replacement surgery at age 44. Sad to me they feel the need to mention that she's too young to undergo a surgery that would relieve her pain and give her back her life.

I agree that Mireilles, husbands, uncle died too young. Tragic and very sad!
Sorry for derailing your thread there @Mireille
 
Last edited:
Thanks all for the comforting words!

@Layla not derailing thread at all.

The"you are too young" thing is a real problem for us suffering from joint problems. Sometimes it makes you feel like you're exaggerating your pain and mobility problems or being "a baby". I've been blessed with a good group of doctors who listen and trust in how I feel. Tomorrow is not guaranteed to no one and I've made the decision to live my life now as free of pain as I possibly can and have the ability to do the things that I enjoy now. I'm not going to suffer in pain for years waiting for the "right" age to have joint replacement. My hip surgeon was totally in agreement that this was the right time for me, medically and personally.

I have been suffering with arthritis pain since my teenage years. Inherited most likely from my grandfather. I have b degenerating in all my joints. My spine and my left knee are now the worse. I'm not an athlete but my husband and I like to travel, walk and hike. I will continue to do this until I can't do it no more, lol.

We are in control of our heath and well being and need to fight for us, regardless of how old we are.

Anyway, enough "protesting" ha,ha

I hope you all have a beautiful, pain free day! We've got this! :flwrysmile:
 
Re former posts, I assumed you knew what Layla meant, but due to the order of the posts, it made me do a double take...wanted to make sure others didn't think our dear Layla was talking about dear uncle since exact words were used, "Way too Young"

Mireille, you are only as old as you feel, right. One year ago I felt one hundred and ten, now I feel 30.
Yay new hips.
 
Glad you are happy with your decision @Mireille. It s a life changer.nwhen I was in my 40s I had durgery on foot to help joint. Doctor thensaid my foot wouldn’t look bad if is was 80. A gentleman in my church who is close to my age was told he wasn’t old enough when he is in obvious pain. I told him to find another doc.

I am so happy many docs are starting to treat people based on hip age and not chronological.

Keep us with the good healing. I may not be feeling 30, bu I think i’ll be back to a solid 50.
 
@hipster333 I only used the walker, the day of surgery when they stood me up. The day after surgery, I started using the cane in the hospital.

I walk around the house without any assistance but keep in mind, that's really not a lot. I can't stay still so that means I go from the kitchen to the living room to the bedroom to the porch. My house is only 1600 sq. Feet. I can stand for a while and to dishes, I can throw clothes in the washer. Realistically, I sit and lay around a lot (of course with ice :ice:)

I get really tired :mcoffee:I've walked to the mailbox with my cane. I used my cane when I went to a doctor's appointment on Monday. I walked a little outside today with my cane and the therapist.

I haven't tried walking longer distances without my cane, I don't feel I'm ready for that. The leg extension when I walk does not feel particularly pleasant but I make a conscious effort to walk straight using the heel to toe stride. My hip is still swollen, not huge but not normal by any means. I have pain, not a lot so one or 2 Tylenol 500 a day is enough for me. I do take an oxycodone 5mg occasionally before bed because sleeping is not that comfortable, more of a back problem than hip itself. :alarm:

I feel I'm doing great but that's just me, comparing to hip pain pre surgery and comparing to my TKR. I'm also told that the recovery is a bit easier with the anterior approach, although it doesn't change the end result.

Our bones were sawed and drilled into, just over a week ago, there's still ways to go. We can't rush it, we just have to listen to our bodies and do the best we can. :praying:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom