Guest viewing is limited

TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Celle I had never heard of milk thistle or tumeric supplements. @gr82cu2 mentioned the milk thistle when my enzymes went up to 600 (should be 50) a few weeks after surgery. It seems to have helped as my enzyme levels are now better than pre-surgery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@madinana that is what I love about bonesmart, we can learn from each other. I was so surprised and happy that my levels are back in normal range as they were ususlly a little high even before surgery even with taking orednisone. The only thing that has changed is the milk thistle and tumeric being added.
 
@ljrfrm I plan to keep taking the tumeric for a long time fir my knnes and other joints. I'll have to try the spice too. Thanks for sharing.

@Yorkimom Thank you. I has been hard work geeting over 100° flexion. But as you know some of us take longer. I feel like I am on the scenic route speed bumps and all. Maybe when it's time for my other one I will manage to get on the highway lol.
 
Wow 104 . I am so happy for your progress ! I went to PT today and got to 111 . Therapist said she thought for sure I would be having a MUA three weeks ago. I am so happy we are both moving forward towards total recovery ! I love to read your post you are so sweet to reply to everyone. Very thoughtful
 
Hi @Minnie's knees, just checking in on you and hoping you are doing well. I see your ROM is improving. Thank goodness for that. Hope you are feeling better and stronger each day. BTW, I have added Turmeric spice to my repertoire as with the swelling of my hands and stiffness due to RA Turmeric I was told had anti-inflammatory properties so I decided to give it a shot. I figured it cannot hurt and it makes the food taste good. I also add it to my tea sometimes. So far I think I have seen some of the effects of it. Take care of yourself. And keep up the good work. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
@chestnc I take the Tumeric in a capsule daily and a friend told me to try it on chicken. It seems to be helping the RA inflammation in my joints. Glad you may be seeing some benefit from it as well. RA is so hard to live with as it affects the whole body and especially a weak joint. It rained all day Saturday so my knee was stiff and achy this weekend. I am just finishing another round of PT and see my OS on Tuesday. I hope he extends the PT another month as I am making progress just very slowly and the manipulation part of the PT really helps. Take care of yourself and have a great week.
 
Oh @ Minnie's knees, so good to hear good news from you. :wowspring: You have been through a lot especially with the RA and trying to heal post-op is a difficult task. So glad to hear you see that light and making your way through the tunnel. I hope you do get more sessions. I was a good bit under the weather yesterday early with "the bad weather" heading this way. Once the precip begins, then the aches and pains begin to lift. It is snowing like mad now. Hope your weather is good where you are. Hope things work out for you on Tuesday and you can get the needed extra PT that would help you. Likewise to you take good care of yourself and a blessed week to you. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Kathy, you are my knee recovery hero! I hope to follow your lead. Into week 3 following my MUA - I am still in a lot of pain and struggling for ROM but I am hopeful.
I hope you get more PT sessions!!
 
@Wrangler I hope you follow my lead on your ROM increasing. On Jan. 6th mine was 73° (2 weeks post mua). This week it is staying at 100°. I credit my PT, walking stairs at home (up only, still can't go down normally), sitting on exercise ball and rocking back and forth (don't fall) and more walking with going back to work on Jan 5th. You will get there but like me you have hit some speed bumps. For me it was RA for you it is the pain. Once your pain is manageable it will be easier to do your exercises and gain ROM. glad you will be able to see the pain specialist. One day and one week at a time. Hang in there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's fantastic. It must feel so nice to be able to bend again! Thanks for all you positive comments.
 
Well my OS and I had our first big disagreement today. I thought he would be pleased that RA is calming down and ROM is increasing. I guess he expected it to be better as he chewed me out for not being in the gym every day for at least an hour in addition to the home exercises I am doing for 30 minutes 2x day and the PT 3x a week. He expects this forever. I voiced that this was unrealistic and he was upset and acted like I wasn't trying hard enough. I told him I would try to get to the gym more often and left his office upset, mad at myself and my OS.

I feel like I disappointed him but I have done everything OS and PT have asked of me. He gave me 6 more PT visits but was not happy about it. I think he feels like I am depending on my PT as my only exercise and that is not true.

On top of this it rained here all day and neither knee likes the rain. I'm glad today is almost over!
 
Oh bother! I had a similar "thing" last week at my appointment. The PA couldn't or wouldn't grasp what I was trying to say about swelling with over-activity and insisted I "need to try really hard"... like I'm not. It was pretty insulting. :blackcloud: Don't let his jabs get you down, Kathy. Everyone here knows how hard you've worked.
 
@Clipless Thanks Diana. It was insulting and really caught me off guard. We want to get back to normal and we do work hard. I love my OS and he has been so supportive. Hopefully he was just having a bad day. I plan to keep doing what I am doing and will try hard to get to the gym a few times a week but will not over do it with the RA. I told his nurse I will have the right answers (true or not) next time and she chuckled.
 
I agree, Kathy. When a person is making forward progress, I've never understood how anyone can say they are not doing a good job. Your surgeon seems to not realize that we are all individuals and heal on our own time schedule...not his. It's not like you're going to miss the "healing boat" and be left on the pier!!! You're doing just fine so don't let that confrontation get to you. :thumb:
 
I agree with Jamie. No one could have been more conscientious than you have been.

I'm sorry your OS didn't realise that and he upset you.

Please don't let his words upset you any more.
 
@Jamie you are right about healing on our own time. We are individuals and have our own speedbumps to get over.
 
@Celle I appreciate it. I have worked very hard to keep my knee moving while overcoming setbacks from my other health issues. These issues are getting better and my knee is improving slowly so I thought I was doing well. It was the request for a few more PT visits that seemed to irritate him. And I understand he doesn't want me to depend on the PT.
 
Hi Kathy. I understand how upset you are after your OS visit. I would be too given your whole journey. Keep the faith, stay strong and keep chipping away at "recovery". Take care of you, Maggie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom