TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gr82cu2 I know it is getting better each week. It is just going very slow.

@hhilltop thank you for visiting my thread. I appreciate the encouragement. I will be interested in reading your recovery thread to see how you progressed. I hope you are doing well now.

@chestnc so nice to hear from you. My RA was not too bad until I had to be off the infusions before surgery. Missing 2 infusions and waiting for it to get back in my system now has been hard. I have my next infusion on tuesday so hoping to feel benefits. Weather has been cold and rainy for last 3 weeks since mua so double whammy with RA and OA. I get home, eat and rest. Even on weekend I am taking it easy. My house needs a good cleaning as family doesn't clean like I do. But for now it has to wait. I wish many calm, pain free days for all of us.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless Thanks for sharing about your friend and glad she is doing fine. I haven't heard of very many people having two mua's so I was surprised when OS mentioned it. I definitely needed the mua in Dec.as I was having difficulty walking and it was affecting my hip and back. If I need another mua I am hoping wait until after my RA calms down and the weather warms up for optimal results.

@Nana moon 27 It is definitely my RA. Both my Rheumatologist and my OS agree. With RA so many things cause a flare up. Being off meds, trauma, illness, etc. I have an aggressive form of RA which makes it worse. I am very happy and yes a little jealous for those that have an essy recovery but that is not always the case as you know. So I wanted to be honest but not to discourage anyone. I know it will get better. I remember reading a post that said some of us take the scenic route and that is a great description. I hope you are doing well and will stop by your thread soon to catch up.
 
@Minnie's knees , yes she's late 50's and races bikes down mountains- crazy x-games stuff. Her two MUA's were performed several months apart. No one could have prepared more for surgery than this lady. She had no underlying health problems, and she hired personal trainers, nutritionists, and a life coach in expectation of a perfect recovery. Yet her recovery was prolonged and difficult. I know someone else who NEVER WENT TO PT and had the best recovery ever. That tells me that our bodies all respond differently to getting cut, sawed, pounded, and modified.

Like many of us, my double-MUA friend had some dark days during recovery. Two years later she can't sit on her feet but she can do everything else, and she says the knee is strong.

I expect your ROM and comfort will improve tremendously once your RA settles down. What with having to return to work so soon, your RA and that unhappy knee, this must be a very trying time. Be kind to yourself- you are on the right path (albeit the scenic route) to a wonderful outcome!
 
Yes, I think we need to keep those meds going to keep the RA under control and it sometimes takes a few doses to get back to a good level. I'm doing well but even for me there are days where I say "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired." :)
 
Hi @Minnie's knees, I so know what you are talking about when you say when you stop the meds it is hard to get going again after you have missed a dose or two. It sometimes feels as if you are starting from the beginning when you get the initial dosage again. Sometimes I am not certain if the Acterma is really helping a whole lot or just a bit. I have been so uncomfortable lately that sometimes it takes all the strength I can muster just to get up an go to work with aches and pains here and there including the op knee. Sometimes I think gee, a year plus and still having some sort of pain in the knee... Good Grief. I am just thankful that the with the RA, I can still get up and keep things moving. Hope you have a pain-free blessed evening and day. And hope the RA settles down. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
I am finally able to walk up all 17 stairs at home normally without stopping. I am still slow and have to concentrate but it sure feels good as it has taken me longer than most people. My RA seems to be better the last 2 days, the weather has warmed up and the rain is gone. Things are definitely looking up. Have a great weekend everyone!
 
Happy to hear you are doing better and walking up all the stairs! I still feel like a robot when I walk upstairs ☺️I have to concentrate and exaggerate when I lift my left leg! Looks funny just going to take a little more practice. How's your pain and swelling levels now after the MUA?
 
@numbzee the pain is better and swelling is finally going down. But a lot of the swelling and probably some of the pain is from my RA. Any trauma sends it into a flare up for days and sometimes weeks. I was doing the both feet on one step and still couldnt get my knee high enough to clesr the step until today. My foot would go a little to the side to clear each step. It will definitely take us some time and practice but we will get there.
 
Glad that your pain and swelling are finally going down. That's really great news for you and me. I go home tomorrow after my MUA.
 
Kathy, I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better and conquered the stairs! Whoohoo!!!! I think of my friends here on bonesmart you are the one I would nominate to write the "patience" chapter of our recovery book :)
 
Well done. Perseverance has paid off. Congratulations on the stairs and your overall recovery. Maggie x
 
Yep, time and practice will get you there. :thumb:
 
Hi, Glad to hear you are walking up the stairs easier now. I used to swing out and then step up I looked like a robot. Sounds like the swelling is going down so you can tackle the stairs in style! You are doing great and working very hard it just takes time.
 
@Wrangler glad your mua went well. While my ROM went backwards after the mua due to my RA it helped a lot with the pain and stiffnesd. Best wishes for great results from your mua.

@gr82cu2 Patience has definitely been the ongoing theme of my recovery. But thanks to this forum and others exoeriences I know it takes some of us longer than others but I will get there.
 
@Maggie94 thank you. My recovery has been very slow but thankfully it is getting better.

@kneeper patience is not my strong suit lol.

@numbzee the swelling is going down some and everything is a little easier this week. It does take time for sure.
 
@Minnie's knees

You've had to be so patient, but you will get there!

In some ways, it's been even harder for you, because you had the pressure of having to go back to work - and quite soon after the MUA as well. That's probably put more stress on your knee than those of us who have the luxury of staying at home experience.

I'm so glad that you can manage the stairs better. :yes!: Celebrate these little achievements!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle yes, I had my mua at 8.5 weeks and went back to work at 10.5 weeks. Thankfully it hasn't been as hard as I thought it might be and will get easier each week. It feels good to know I am finally able to go up the stairs because it is progress. I have learned to elebrate all achievements with my knee.
 
@Minnie's knees so glad to hear you are improving after your MUA. I am in awe at your going back to work and coping with the RA too. I've been lucky in my recovery but even now can't imagine what going back to work would be like so you've done so well.:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@SuperSnapper thank you for stopping by. Going back to work was a necessity as I was out of time off. I have a desk job and can ice as needed so that helped too.The RA has been the biggest struggle as I was off my meds for a total of 3 months before/ after my surgery to minimize risk of infection. Glad you are doing so well in your recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom