TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand his thinking. If he wants you to do this all on your own why did he ever prescribe PT to begin with? I felt like PT was a great help in teaching me how to rehab my knees and what to do without hurting myself or causing damage. Anyway, you know that I think you've made a great effort, have never given up and are progressing nicely now that your RA is calming down. You've come 30 degrees or so since your MUA, right? That's nothing he should be discouraging you about. (((virtual hugs)))
 
I am so disappointed in your OS unprofessional behavior. I changed OS after I was insulted by my first surgeon after having Meniscus repair surgery. I was still limping the next week after surgery and he was very upset with me and said why are you limping I fixed your knee! He did this in front if a new resident doctor and it was embarrassing so now I have a new surgeon. I am seeing him in a couple days . You have been very diligent and worked very hard for your recovery. Bless your heart I feel for you.i know you will keep trying you are a very strong woman
 
@Minnie's knees - everyone has bad days - don't take it personally. You have made amazing progress!


I'm glad you got some more PT sessions. But I also know that you will succeed whether you have formal PT or not. Thinking of you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bah! You know what you're doing. Especially with the RA.
 
@Minnie's knees I can't wait for you to show your OS that you know best, and you know what you are doing! Keep progressing at your own pace and you will teach him a great lesson - one that I guess he didn't learn in med school :) Keep up the great work!
 
@Maggie94 my OS sees so many patients with good results as he is very pro getting it done early rather than waiting. Unfortunately I waited too long and have weak quads in addition to the RA. I will keep chipping away at recovery.
 
@gr82cu2 he is upset because I have been in PT for 3 months. But even he said the mua started it over. I think the hands on manipulation part has helped a lot the last 4 weeks. Alex dies a deep massage on any hard spots as well as making the knee bend and stretch. He also manipulates my hip and hamstring which get stiff frim sitting. I am down to 2x week now and trying to get at least 30min on bike 3-4x week. I am going to try the elliptical tomorrow to see how my knee likes it. And yes right at 30° since the mua. I appreciate the hugs. He just really caught me off guard.
 
@numbzee Sorry you had that experience. I love my OS and he is a great surgeon. I just saw a side of him I didn't expect and didn't like very much. I will take what he said and do what I can to continue to increase my activity. I am strong because I hate to fail. I have to have a knee that is functional for every day activites and I know it will get there.
 
@Wrangler Thank you and I agree everyine can have a bad day. We will keep working on ROM and function and it will hsppen for both of us. Hooe you are starting to feel better.
 
@kneeper I sure know more about ny RA than he does. Like anything else RA is not the same for everyone. I have a lot of trial and error with my RA and I'm sure others do too. I will keep doing what works with my RA and as much as I can with the knee. It's almost where it was pre surgery so I'm not too worried.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ljrfrm I hope you are right! I would love to go in after 2 months and show off. I know I have work to do it was just how he approached it. He is usually blunt but nice about it.
 
I really like my OS and I hope it was just him having a bad day because I have another knee to do in the next couple of years and he is a great surgeon.

I talked to my PT today and told him what OS said. He was surprised to say the least. PT and I agree that I should be doing more on my own as PT decreases. We had already discussed a plan to transition more to gym activities over the next couple of weeks before I saw OS.

I plan to increase my use of the recumbent bike and elliptical from 2 hours a week to 3 hours a week. I am still in PT 2x a week and do my stretches and home exercises 2x day and my stairs at home probably 20+ times a week. I will try to increase the gym part a little each week and see how my RA handles it and how my ROM progresses.

And when I see my OS again I will know all the right answers and :). Thank you all for the support while I was venting. It helps to have others who understand and relate.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I made it to 110° today at PT. I love the round numbers :)

I got to 104° 2 weeks ago but then it dropped back to 100-101 for over a week now as I began doing more functional exercises in PT and walking more. I can now pedal the bike for 20-30 minutes and walk upstairs comfortably. What a difference a few weeks and a few degrees can make!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kathy

You're doing great with that result. As for the OS being harsh with you well, he needs to get over himself and act like a professional instead of a drama queen xxx

You are back at work, you are doing your best and your rom is going fine. You do a lot more exercise than you give yourself credit for. Don't forget the vacuuming, cleaning etc at home and all the stuff you do at work too.

It sounds like he's either had a bad day, or he's over egotistical, with his success rates. Tbh I thought his attitude was very cruel to you. I would have really cried and felt so humiliated too. Mind you the mood I'm in lately I'd have probably told him about himself (bad Nana!) x


Kathy, I'm sending you
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA


Love Ann x x x
 
@Minnie's knees, way to go Kathy:loveshwr:. 112 is awesome. You are working so hard. You know how hard you are working, so please try not to let what your OS get you down. And if we are being realistic, most people don't go to the gym to exercise for an hour seven days a week...not even trainers. Your body needs rest and it's just not good to push your body that hard when you are physically fit, let alone a couple of months after major surgery.
Anyway, you are phenomenal and you can tell your OS I said so:dancy:
 
The other thing is professional trainers will tell you about the importance of resting the muscles as well,as working them. Mans from another Planet X x x x x maybe he's a Martian???? Sorry I'm being silly now, trying to cheer you up a bit. You are awesome Kathy, Anne is right xxx
 
@Nana moon 27 thank you for cheering me up! I was laughing at your post about OS being from mars.

@Yorkimom I agree about resting the myscles. If he had said 30 minutes every day I wouldn't have thought much about it. I have been doing my PT 3x week and about 30 minutes on the bike 2-3x a week for a total of only 5.5 hours a week and ROM went up 10° in the last 2 weeks. I am very okay with that.

You are both aesome and phenomenal as well! I think everyone that has a TKR qualifies to be awesome and phenomenal! TKR recovery is not easy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom