Guest viewing is limited

TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gr82cu2 I don't think they have anything like that as it is a satellite type office attached to our gym with only 4 tables. They use the gym equipment for the exercise part. He did end my session with 10 minutes of icing with a large gel pack that wrapped completely around my leg. It felt good as my small gel packs I am using are not as cold. I went from 2:30-3:30 and I get off at 5pm. It worked out well on the timing as it helped me get through the end of the day.
 
Hi Kathy

I'm so pleased that your return to work has gone smoothly and you have support at home with the cooking when you come in. That's so kind of your hubby and daughter. You're so lucky to have an on site PT place. That's just brilliant.
have you found it very tiring or were you ok? Xxx

Love Ann xx
 
@Nana moon 27 It has been very tiring and swelling is worse with more walking and sitting. I am keeping my leg propped up at my desk but it is not the same as having it elevated at home. Hopefully it continues to get easier. It's cold here this week and that is affecting my RA and my knee.
 
@gr82cu2, Janet we have one of those ic machines at my PT. It's called Game Ready if it's the same one. It sure is wonderful, but like Kathy said they might not have it. It would be nice if they did.
 
@Yorkimom I called to ask and unfortunately my PT does not have the "game ready" at any of their locations. @gr82cu2 It sounds like it would be great and feel good. I wish they did have it. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
@madinana I am glad the week is over. I came home tired everyday but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Going to PT on site 3 days a week really helped. PT did a lot of manual therapy,stretches and finished with ice.

It is cold and raining here this weekend. I am having a lazy weekend resting up for next week.
 
So good to hear you are doing so well after going back to work. Having PT at work is brilliant wished all employers would do the same. How's your new ROM coming along?

I am 11 weeks out and at 105 with a lot of help at PT. Take care
 
Hi Kathy, did you get a temporary handicapped placard so you can park closer to work? Someone suggested this to me, unfortunately I don't think it would get me any closer.
 
Glad to hear you coped with your return to work. Hope the swelling isn't too bad and your knee gradually acclimatises to the new regime. The PT at work sounds like a lifesaver.
 
***3 month update***
It's been a long 3 months of speed bumps along my recovery road and continuing...
Log leg for 2 weeks, limited ROM, elevated liver enzymes which severly limited pain meds, and by 8 weeks my knee felt like cement and it hurt up into my hip trying to walk.

I had the MUA on 12-24-14, OS bent my knee to about 120° It helped with the tight pain and being able to walk but not much on ROM. My ROM went all the way back to 75° within the last 2weeks because my RA went into a severe flareup after the mua and returning to work.

As of yesterday my ROM is back to 85° (where it was at prior to the MUA) and hopefully it will continue to improve. I am trying to get my RA calmed down which in turn will hopefully help my knee. My OS has already mentioned another MUA in a couple of months if ROM doesn't continue to improve but I really hope I don't need it.

It has not been an easy recovery due to my RA, diabetes and liver issues. But the positives are that the OA pain, locking and buckling are gone; I am able to drive and I am back to work. I still have limitations but I know it could always be worse and I am very glad it is not.
I am also thankful for all of the help and support on this forum. :thankyou:
 
Kathy, the RA flare is probably what is holding you back for now. I pray it gets better for you. I know you must be in a lot of pain. You've been through an awful lot since your TKR. How is your swelling now? I know it swelled up after the MUA but how is it now? I just feel so bad for you and know you've been in so much pain because of being limited on the pain meds you can take. (((hugs)))
 
@gr82cu2 Janet some days the swelling is better than others. Depending on the weather and my RA. It is the top 1/2 of my knee. Being back to work and sitting all day it is worse in the evenings but goes down some over night.
 
I hope you get relief soon. From both your RA and your stubborn knee! You surely deserve a break.
 
I didn't have some of your complications, but I ache for you! I just recanted to my PT this week the ordeal I went through in those first few months when I had an MUA being stuck at 85 and couldn't drive and wondered why I'd had the procedure done. You get through one day at a time. You have to make a turn and realize the days before surgery aren't going to be returning anytime soon. You don't look back and you look forward by doing the best you can. Eventually you can look back and see - YES!!! I made improvement. But, don't push. I've got a strong competitive athlete buried in me... never aspired to be a couch potato. But, for now - your adventures need to be found mostly visually - books, movies, TV, facebook, bonesmart friends... It's good - it's okay - each day has enough worries of its own to fill you... don't borrow frets about the future - take time to find smiles. They are awesome. And since I can't be there to give you a hug - accept them electronically.
:friends::flwrysmile::yay::snow dig: (The last one is me - shoveling out the 6 inches that fell here yesterday.)
See there are some benefits to being confined inside. :yes!:
 
Hi @Minnie's knees, just catching up with your thread. Glad to hear that you went back to work. Good for you. So sorry that you needed an MUA and just before Christmas. So sorry to hear that, but boy I certainly hope it helps. I know what you mean about that RA flaring up. It is an added annoyance thrown into the pot. Hope the RA calms down. That also makes you tired when first going back to work. With the weather I feel that extreme tiredness and achiness. I had my third dose of Acterma. Sometimes I feel better for a few weeks afterward receiving the Acterma treatment, but this time I have only felt better 2 days afterwards and then started to have an RA flare where everything hurt. I just stayed in the bed, rested, and took RA pain medicine. Thank goodness it was the weekend as I am off. Hope you can make it through this week, and that you get stronger and stronger everyday. Blessings are being sent your way. Hope that swelling stops in the evening and that you gain on your movement extension and have a decrease to 0 of RA pain. So glad you are looking at the cup half full. Keep hanging in there. You will be okay. Many blessings going your way. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi @Minnie's knees

Thank you for your lovely, honest and very informative 3 month update. You are doing brilliantly xx

I agree with you that maybe the RA is affecting your rom, but I'm not medically qualified to comment, so you might be best to tag one of the moderators/advisers in.

I think it's fantastic that you've returned to work and got some semblance of normality back into your life xxxx

Well done x x x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom