TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jamie I understand my knee is in charge. But being able to do the full rotation is a personal goal of mine and something that has really frustrated me so I was very happy to do so today. I didn't want to over do it so I stopped after the 2 rotations and went back to rocking back and forth. My PT has the recumbent bike and I am more comfortable on it. I appreciate the intormation on the different bikes.

I also updated my signature with the MUA. Sorry, I did not think to do it sooner.
 
No problem, Minnie....I think you're doing just fine. I remember that thrill of actually going all the way around. It's a big moment. It sounds like you have the right mindset and that's very important!
 
Kathy, I didn't mean to burden you with any goal that seems far away for you. I hope you know that. My experience was, with both knees, that like you I could only do a few rotations backwards after rocking back and forth. Once I got to the point where I could continuously go backwards I would reverse to try and go forward and after a few tries I was able to. Even now, almost 8 weeks post op with my right knee, I can't start out forwards. I have to go backwards for a bit and get things loosened up. You'll get there. p.s. to me, the recumbent bike is easier. I have an upright bike at home that is harder for me than the recumbent at PT.

@Yorkimom I'm not sure but maybe you misread something. I can peddle backwards as well as forwards once I get warmed up.
 
Nice one minne doing nicely. As for pedaling backwards for some reason i am v good at it but then again its in my nature hence my name
 
@gr82cu2 no burden at all. I try to set small goals like being able to do 1 or 2 rotations backwards. Once I can do the backwards rotation comfortably I'm sure I will then want to go forward lol. But we have to have goals!

@Yorkimom It was exciting and I did it again today but it is still very uncomfortable. It has definitely been baby steps for me. We just have to keep moving forward.

@Legin thank you! I'm sure you are great at it.
 
I so am boing knock bang thud. Im fine ish
 
@Minnie's knees, I remember when I started doing the rotation backwards and then could do it continuously....not fast, but continuously. One of the assistance came up to me and said good job. Try it forwards. I said I couldn't do it yet. She said just give it a try you never know. I tried, it hurt a little, but I did it. So you never know when it is going to happen, but it will!
 
I was out of touch for a few days and missed so much! So excited about your accomplishment. It must have felt wonderful to get those pedal working for you. I know I got super excited when I did my first leg lift!! Small steps ...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas - I wish you all the best in your MUA recovery.
 
@Yorkimom thanks for the encouragement. Some day I will be pedaling and thinking back to now with a smile.

@Wrangler I did have a wonderful Christmas. I hope yours was wonderful as well. I had the log leg too so I know exactly what you mean and the bike felt the same way. I am not where I thought I would be by 9 weeks but I will get there and you will too.
 
Today my knee feels very stiff but it is raining here which almost always affects it as I also have RA. My knee cap area is still very tender from the mua 4 days ago. Taking it easy today and back to PT tomorrow afternoon. One more week and then I am back to work. Not looking forward to the first few days as I have been out of the routine of getting ready and going to work.
Have a great Sunday everyone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Minnie knees its raining here and also affects my RA and it is fussing on knee no 2. Rest Rest my friend and wishing you well with PT and getting ready to go back to work---one day at a time
 
Good morning @Minnie's knees! Definitely rest, ice and elevate today. Good luck tomorrow at PT. I hope it goes well and you see improvement!!
 
@madinana sorry you are suffering due to rain and RA as well, especially after travelling. Its so hard with the RA affecting it so much. One day at a time is definitely the way of a TKR. We will make it through this it is just a very long and slow road for some of us. Feel better my friend.

@Yorkimom that is definitely my plan. I don't know how much improvement I will see right away. OS told me to expect to lose a few degrees from the 100 due to trauma to soft tissues during mua but that it should come back. I can tell I have gained at least a little ROM so thst is good. On friday my knee felt good, then the rain started yesterday and should clear out later today. Hoping that will help. Hopefully you were able to sleep last night and no RLS. Wishing many restful nights for you my friend.
 
@Minnie's knees, that's great you can see some improvement already. You are right that you might not see much tomorrow as your soft tissues are still probably inflamed. But in about a week you should see some improvement, hopefully. I go to PT on Wednesday and it has been two weeks since my last visit. I had an appt. last Wednesday but got the times mixed up and got there an hour later and Christine was booked. I have been doing my exercises at home and I can see a difference. I am anxious to see if she can. This will be my last visit so I know she will measure my ROM. Then I'll see how I progress on my own before going back. At least that's the plan for now.
Unfortunately I didn't get to sleep until 4:30 this morning. I was okay earlier and right before I went to bed Joe massaged the outer part of my thigh of my TKR. He would do this every night when I had my first surgery and we thought maybe that would help as he hasn't done it after this surgery. With this new bed we are so far away from each other he never thinks to do it. Anyway the muscles are like a rock. Right after he massaged the muscle the RLS started right up! I tried a heating pad on the muscle but that didn't work. So I got up, walked around, watched TV and then finally took a pain pill and within the hour it stopped.
 
@Yorkimom I am so sorry the RLS is giving you so much problems. Not being able to get a good night sleep is horrible and affects your overall health and well being. I hope your dr figures out something to help you with the RLS soon. Good luck at PT on wednesday. Fingers crossed for improvement! My OS gave me 6 more weeks of PT due to the MUA but starting Jan 1st I will have to pay the full amount due to my high deductible.
 
@Minnie's knees, that's the pits having to pay out of pocket. My new insurance starts the first of the year (Obamacare...ha) so I think I have to pay out of pocket too.
 
@Yorkimom it could have been worse. I had met my deductible and out of pocket prior to surgery so I have'nt had to pay anything so far. My company gives me a debit card in Jan for 1/2 of our deductible. I can use it to pay for the PT. It's just the principal that I thought I would be almost done with PT by now. But I do still need it after the mua so I will keep going for awhile as long as it is helping.
 
Hi Kathy, congrats on your recent progress turning those pedals- woo hoo! I also get that debit card thingy from work for out-of-pocket expenses. It helps a lot. I could use it in January, but I've already announced no more PT after 12/31. My flexion isn't great yet, but I want to continue my recovery without the added stress of PT and the numbers chase.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom