TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Yorkimom my knee feels very sore and tight and visable swelling wjich he told me to expevt for a few days. The proceedure takes about 15 minutes but with the waiting, prep and recovery I was there almost 4 hours.

@gr82cu2 it did increase the pain in my knee for now. They gave me a vicodin at the hospital and it helped. I still have plenty of Tramadol and will probably increase it to 2x day for next couple of days and then cut back. Hopefully the mua helped and I will be able to hold the 100° I had to try. I get my next RA infusion in 2.5weeks. This will be 2nd one since surgery so hopefully will get back in my system good and RA will calm down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope so Kathy. I've had my 2nd Humira shot and I do think it helped. Next one is this Saturday and honestly I can't wait. I sure hope that since this was less overall trauma than surgery that your swelling goes down quickly. God love ya, you've been through a lot.
 
Glad to hear you are done and back home. Now the hard work begins again.
Geeez. I am thinking about you and hope you are not in too much discomfort.
 
@numbzee thank you. I am very limited on how much pain meds I can take due to it causing my liver enzymes to elevate to dangerous levels. At 4 weeks I had to come off all pain meds including tylenol cold turkey. That was tough. I did it and now I can take 1 tramadol each day without too much effect on the liver. I have had a few speed bumps along my recovery road and I'll get through this too.
 
This morning my knee is very sore, stiff, swollen and hard to bend and it feels like I am back to week 2-3. I am doing my heel slides and stretches but not getting as much ROM as I had yesterday. Hopefully it will improve when the swelling goes down. Trying to take it easy today and doing heel slides and stretches.
 
Merry Christmas! Bless your heart you feel like you are back to being at the 2-3 week stage again. The swelling is making your ROM difficult at this time. How is your pain levels? Keep up the heel slides!
 
@Minnie's knees, Merry Christmas Kathy! I'm sorry to hear that you feel like week 2-3. I didn't say anything when you said you were going to have the MUA, but I had talked to my therapist, Christine, in depth about having an MUA because I was concerned that was where I was headed. Like your OS said, it will get your ROM, but she said that the doctors want you right back at therapy and it gets very swollen and painful and it's almost like starting over again. Do just like you are doing with the heel slides, stretches and icing and elevating and you will get there.
 
@numbzee I have very weak quads so the leg feels heavy. And with the RA any trauma makes it flare up and I'm sure that is a big part of it. Pain level is probably 5-6 but I just took a tramadol so that should help.
 
Hi @Minnie's knees, I am so sorry as it seems like you are having a time with your knee. Hope you will be able to enjoy some of Christmas day. I hope the RA is not acting up too bad. I am trying to get a grip on the RA. We have had such cold and pouring rain weather, it has aggravated the RA in me and I woke up stiff and achy. Sore back and neck. Certainly hope you feel better as the day goes on.
@gr82cu2, I did not realize you too have RA. So sorry you are in this club. Hope it is not too troublesome today of all days. Everyone have a good Christmas.
 
@Yorkimom Merry Christmas Anne. I discussed the mua at length with OS. He told me to expect it to be like this and that it may or may not help much because my quads are so weak. I decided to take the chance on the mua and if nothing else a couple of hard spots in my quad are gone. The reason I feel back at week 2-3 is the heaviness in my leg. It hurts to pick it up and the knee cap area is especially sore. I probably should have clarified that. And yes my OS said don't baby it and get right back to PT. It would be better if I could take more pain meds but I don't want to take a chance with my liver enzymes.

I am hoping this will be a second chance to get enough ROM to feel more functional. My ROM was about 110° prior to surgery.
 
@chestnc Thank you! I had the mua yesterday morning, got home about noon. Iced and took a nap. Last night I was downstairs with my daughter and granddaughters while they baked cookies and watched a Christmas movie. This morning I went downstairs while we opened presents and had breakfast. Now I am icing and resting it. My RA is definitely flared up and as you well know it doesnt calm down easily. I am back on my oral meds and I get my next infusion mid January. Hope you have a wonderful day.
 
@Minnie's knees, with your RA you have a double whammy, and then not being to take pain meds has to be hard. If I were you I would have done the same thing. You've been working so hard with no success, so you had to take the chance. Hopefully you will get your ROM back to what it was before surgery.
 
Hi @Minnie's knees

I hope your pain meds are working effectively. I'm so sorry I've not been around much. I've been so busy with the whole Christmas thing. It's now Christmas night, 8.15 pm and I've had to go to bed.

I hope you recover well from this xxx isn't it fantastic when daughters step right in and help it's fantastic xx

I wish you a very Happy Christmas xxxx

[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
love from Nana moon 27 xox
 
@Nana moon 27 thank you. We have all been busy with the holidays so I understand. It is nce when daughters and husbands step up when we need them to. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!
 
Oh @Minnie's knees it was so lovely. It took the pressure off us both!! Is it your Christmas day yet? I'm very confused by the time zones etc xxx

How are you feeling xx
 
@Nana moon 27 I am feeling okay. My kneecap area is very stiff, swollen and some pain. OS told me to expect this for a few days. Took a pain med earlier today which helped and icing often. Some good news is that the tight band around my knee and the area on the outside of my knee that has been so tender appear to be gone since the MUA yesterday. My ROM may be a little less today due to the swelling but I am doing my heel slides and stretches.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom