TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Minnie's knees, I'm not sure what I would do with the heat vs. ice. I had talked to my therapist about it and she said while it feels good and you think it is helping, if there is still swelling inside,the heat will intensify it because it increases blood flow to the area. I talked to my doctor and he said the same thing. Looking on the web, it says to use ice at first and once swelling goes down then you can use heat. So it looks like it is an opinionated thing. I know being in the shower does seem t loosen my knee, but I'm afraid to use heat. But that's just my opinion.
 
@tiredwife @madinana @marmora @gr82cu2 @ConnieJOS @Yorkimom @new knee in June @Nana moon 27

I am asking for prayers and positive thoughts. I went for my RA infusion today and they did blood work for liver function tests as usual. We expected them to be high from the pain meds. My Dr called before we got home to tell me they are off the chart high and I am at risk for acute liver failure. No more Tylenol or pain meds..none..cold turkey and repeat blood work on Monday. Very scary:yikes:. I have had elevated levels before but nothing like this. Besides I don't want to miss Vegas.
 
@Minnie's knees, oh no!!!!! I am so sorry this is happening to you and having to stop all pain meds. Hopefully your levels will level out and you can go back on some kind of meds. Sending prayers and hugs. Anne
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
 
Oh, criminey, @Minnie's knees ! That sounds really scary. And having to go cold turkey off the pain meds? Does not sound like fun—especially since you probably still need the pain relief. Will you be able to take NSAIDs at least? And also, don't forget that icing is a form of pain relief!

(From all that I have read, you'll definitely be going to Vegas anyway, liver problems or no! :cool:)

I hope the levels come down quickly, and that you are able to stabilize back into your recovery. My thoughts are with you, and I send you hugs. :console2:
 
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the support, prayers and positive thoughts. I knew you would all understand how I am feeling.

My RA Dr is pretty sure the extreme levels (should be 50 and mine are 600) is due to pain meds of hydrocodone 10-325 (3x day) and Tylenol. I do not exceed 2500 total of the recommended 4000 dose of Tylenol due to prior elevated liver functions in the 300 range last year (from taking aleeve). I was also reading online that the higher blood sugars may also be affecting the liver. The blood sugars have come down a lot but are still not quite where they need to be.

While the liver levels are scary, I do expect them to drop by stopping all pain meds including Tylenol. The hardest part will be doing this at 4 weeks post op with no pain meds. I have a high pain tolerance but part of it is mentally knowing I can't take anything. I have missed my first dose of pain meds at 2pm today and its okay for now. I plan to use ice for the pain and I can also use topicals like the voltren gel and capsacian around the knee but not on the scar. Hoping the weekend goes by fast.
 
@Minnie's knees

Dear Kathy,

Due to the time difference between us, only reading your post this Saturday morning at 10:30 am.
It's the middle of the night where you are and I do hope that you have had a comfortable night.

The result of your LFT was very unsettling for you and family and there was no alternative but to stop all meds ASAP.

As you're only 4 weeks post-op this will be a challenge to find alternatives for pain relief.
Ice. ice,Ice and whatever you find also helps to distract from the discomfort; reading, long phone conversations with family & friends, crafts, meditation, prayer.

Don't worry we will mind you on our Thanksgiving Trip to Vegas.

Take care and you are in my thoughts and prayers,

Cathie
 
@Minnie's knees

I'm so sorry you got this news. I've been concerned about how much my liver can tolerate with all I'm taking, but so far it's been ok. I hope your pain will ease off so you won't suffer without the meds. Ima so sorry you have to do it so suddenly, but you can't ignore the liver problem. I will certainly pray for you. And you know, one nice thing about these "virtual" trips, This shouldn't slow you down one bit for Vegas! :happyfeet:

Connie
 
Oh no! Sorry I'm just now getting around to coming on to Bonesmart and reading this. 600? Oh my goodness! My Rheumie freaked on me last year when mine was 65. Ok now, listen to me. When mine spiked I did some research and this really worked for me so please try it. Go to GNC. They have a supplement there called Preventative Nutrition Liver Health Formula. Get some of that. Also, get some Milk Thistle supplements. That combo brought my numbers both back well into the healthy levels within a month. If you don't have a GNC nearby go to any pharmacy, Walmart, Target, Meijer, whatever you have there and at least get the Milk Thistle. Once I got my numbers back down I started taking only the Milk Thistle and my numbers have stayed down (although I haven't been tested now since July) in the normal range. By stopping the narcotics, Tylenol and all NSAID's and taking these supplements you should get pretty quick improvement. Please try this! My prayers are with you for this to resolve soon. Are you having any symptoms of a liver in distress? Yellowish skin or whites of eyes? Yellowish poo? You know, labs do make mistakes on occasion. I'm praying for you that they have made a mistake.
 
@Minnie's knees I agree with Janet, if your numbers are that high you should have yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes would be yellowish. Maybe a mistake was made, but better safe by keeping off the meds until you get results from the next test. Hubby would use bengay on the back of his knee or the sides of his leg (don't want it anywhere around the scar).
 
I have made it through almost 24 hours without pain meds. It is very uncomfortable but not unbearable so far. I was restless but did manage to sleep several hours overall.

@gr82cu2 I appreciate the information on the supplements and will look for them today. As I said mine were 300 last year and my Dr also freaked but the levels came back to normal within about 6-8 weeks.

@tiredwife I too hope they made a mistake but better safe than sorry. I do not have any yellowing of eyes or skin. Dr said if these symptoms develop it could be acute liver failure and to go straight to ER to be admitted. I keep checking my eyes and skin every couple of hours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom