Guest viewing is limited

TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@referee54 my OS wanted me to transition to cane at 2 weeks. I tried and went back to the walker within 1 day. I tried using the cane maybe 1/2 the time this week, mainly using the walker at night or when knee starts hurting. I will continue to use walker at least part of the time as I work on transitioning to a cane.

@tiredwife @ConnieJOS I didn't realize the stairs could be so hard on my knee. I am doing the stairs every other day going to PT and over the weekend 1-2x each day. I go up and down slowly using the hand rails. I am walking straight leg on the stairs as my knee just doesn't bend much.
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees

My OS has all his patients on two canes on day two post - op, as he feels that the cane makes you use the muscles more and helps to stabilise the knee. No walkers or crutches.

At the six week post-op checkup he has most patients transfer to one cane, again in the opposite hand and to try to balance the weight between both legs, and the cane provides support. The one cane is for use outside only and to not to use in the house.

Found that I was completely "cane less" at 8/9 weeks.
But, would carry it with me if I was going to a crowed shopping centre or into town, so people give me more personal space.

Maybe if you were using two canes, you'd might find that prevent the limping. As I said I didn't transition to one cane until 6 weeks.

I live in a house with 31 steps from the ground floor to the top floor,can't avoid them.
At 15 weeks going up,is o.k. Coming down is still a struggle some days.

Still get that tight band feeling around the knee after about ten minutes of walking or on the stationary bike or tread mill at the gym. My PT says it's just that way for some people to continue to have the tightness for awhile.

Kathy, at three weeks I think that you are going great and each day will bring you closer to full recovery.

Take care and as always that is/was my story and only relating what I did in regard to using the canes. You have to so what is right for you.

Cathie x
 
@Minnie's knees well you know me the ODIC queen but I have noticed when I use my cane I limp, and when I walk without it I don't limp but knee get stiff and also I get that tight feeling in my thigh and calf. When I go to walmart I really get stiff due to cement floors, I should use the motorized cart but I tell myself it good for you I am thick headed just ask @tiredwife. If you feel you need the walker a little longer. You are the one setting your pace, and the stairs well the do put a strain on the leg. I can't even go up like a big girl and well going down that is another story. I think you will know when to move on to the next thing do what is comfortable for you. Have a great day
 
@Minnie's knees Laurie @madinana "thick headed":yikes: Boy is that an understatement!
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
She doesn't mind very well either!broken link removed: https://www.hazelnet.org/icon/emote/lala.gif
 
I appreciate the feed back from everyone, I just needed the positive reinforcement that it is okay to still be using my walker when I feel that I need to. My knee makes me feel like a baby some days and it is not a feeling I like at all. I was feeling like I was behind by not being able to use the cane completely by 3 weeks. Especially as my OS told me to start the transition to a cane after 2 weeks and PT seemed surprised that I was having trouble walking with my cane.
@marmora 31 steps :yikes:..... I am :bored: after 17 steps. I went upstairs the day I got home and didn't go downstairs at all the first week.
@madinana I have the tight feeling in my knee itself after walking with the cane. I haven't been to Walmart since my surgery which is a new record for me. I live 2 miles away and my daughter works there. I am usually there at least once a week, lol. I had so much trouble on those hard floors before the surgery that I am sure it will be just as tough now.
 
I don't really have anything to add other than you need to remember how bad you had log leg after your surgery. That leg was practically paralyzed during that time and you no doubt lost some muscle mass and strength. It may just take you a little while longer to get off the walker. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You have to be safe in whatever way you move around so do what works best for now.
 
My first time on stairs was pretty much around my first time on the cane, at about 1.5 weeks PO. That, combined with trying to walk with only the cane ended up giving terrible shin pain (worse that the surgical pain, which was virtually non-existent up to that point) and sidelined me almost 4 days. I ended up going to see my OS. He diagnosed it as an IT band injury, probably precipitated by the fact that he'd corrected my valgus alignment during surgery, and my lateral muscles, tendons, and ligaments were all fussing at being pulled in new directions The pain down the front of the shin was intolerable!

So, I went back to the walker for a few more days, and about a week later I was back to exclusively all cane. I think taking it easy and reverting to the more conservative approaches others have discussed here will help you heal more and eventually you can return to the cane. I'm on week 2 of cane only and I'm know SLOWLY not using the cane but only around the house. It still goes upstairs and downstairs with me, and I hold it even if I don't lean on it. Keep it up, you're doing great!
 
Good PT session today. Liz measured my ROM even though I didn't expect it. I went from 63° last week with in home PT pushing on it to 71°today without forcing it and no assistance. :loveshwr: She also agreed about continuing to use the walker as needed while transitioning to a cane. Especially with my RA as I don't need a bad flare up before my infusion on Friday.

The increase in my ROM gives me hope that it will continue to improve and was a big mental lift for me. I was so surprised.:egypdance:
 
- Longterm Weather Forcast for Lust errr Las Vegas. There will be spontaneous outburst of rumbling giggling with extreme hilarity. At times there may be periods of refreshing liquid which if larger than expected could bring the onset of the doldrums. There could be high levels of hunk precipitation which might coincide with the full , moon

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom