Guest viewing is limited

TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bored.......Bored........Bored.....nothing on daytime tv, can't concentrate long enough to read, cool dreary weather. Time for a :sleeep:​
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees
Janet @gr82cu2

Days can be long, especially when the weather changes and it's colder outside and darker and because of our TKR we can't do the things that we want to do and sleeping and napping are our main activities of the day.

Enjoy these days, the body needs to be "bored" and rest. It's just harder when it's the mind the is "bored".

Thank goodness for BoneSmart - you'd never get bored here and you get a crown and a Hunk to keep you company.

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Minnie's knees

Daytime tv over here is the biggest load of trash too. Ughhhh! I totally get why you went to sleep. Anyway, I hope you are doing ok. Why don't you do a little update for us on here. Good stuff...what you're beginning to notice any different and/or stuff you're finding a real challenge right now? Xxx

This is especially for you Kathy...
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA


Love from Ann x
 
I had my first out patient therapy today. My therapist Liz is very nice. She knows my OS and agrees less pain = more gain. She didn't feel that my in home PT did me any favors with the exercises they had me doing and / or not doing. She did a deep tissue type massage over scar, knee and up into my thigh. She also did some hip exercises as mine is tight. She had me doing a few other exercises but nothing that hurt. I will see her 3x a week for next 4 weeks. The only thing I am not sure about is she doesn't want me to ice over the weekend. She feels the ice is keeping the knee stiff and recommended heat around and under the knee. I do not have any visable swelling in my knee or leg and heat from a shower does make it feel looser. What to do?

I came home and took a nap lol.
 
@Minnie's knees

Kathy,

Know that ice, ice, ice is the BoneSmart mantra.

But, I also use a heating pad that wraps around the front, side & back of my knee, as recommended by my Physiotherapist. She recommended it at about week 7/8 and it does feel very comforting and I feel that the knee does move easier after the heat.

Although, still use my Cryo Cuff with ice if my knee is feeling discomfort after too much activity.

So, I do alternate between the two.

Cathie
 
I have to say Kathy, my private physio I was seeing before my revision, swore by heat not ice. How ever he had me using both but it was under strict instructions though. I would see how you get on and she sounds like she has her finger on the pulse and knows what she's doing. I like the sound of her. Xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2 I have a moist heat pad that goes in the microwave. She didn't really say how long to use the heat. It stays warm 20-30 minutes. She said to use it especially before doing my exercises (3-4 times a day) to loosen up the knee. It makes some sense as it does loosen up in the warm shower. I will use ice if I notice any swelling.
 
Kathy, I'm glad you started outpatient PT today, and especially glad you have a nice therapist.

I was pretty tense the first time my therapist massaged my actual incision. It just seemed like an area that shouldn't be touched- plus, a sharp little suture is sticking out of mine- YIKES! My PT explained the importance of massaging the scar, so I'm okay with it, but it sure is sensitive.

On heat vs. ice, just figure out what works best. I probably don't ice as much as some of our Bone Smarties because cold = discomfort to me, however I see the benefits therefore I force myself to ice. I love hot baths, have taken a couple this past week. Unfortunately I notice more swelling after a tub soak. Today I took a quick shower followed by ice + elevation. My knee is less swollen and feels much better compared to yesterday after the hot bath.
 
@tiredwife @gr82cu2 @marmora @ConnieJOS @madinana @Yorkimom @new knee in June
Good morning ladies. I have a question...I have tried to transition to a cane over the last few days (3 weeks post op). Every time I use my cane for very long my knee seems to swell internally and feels like cement (heavy, painful, no bend) at the knee and mild to moderate shin pain for a few hours. I find myself walking with a limp with the cane. I can walk just fine using the walker with no limp. I am using the cane in my opposite hand and not leaning on it. I have also been going up and down stairs 1-2 x a day about the same time I started to use the cane so it may be a combination. Once downstairs I am sitting to help prep for meals etc.and resting while family cooks. So I don't feel that I am overdoing it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
 
@Minnie's knees Oh the stairs can do it until your knees get use to them. Try using the walker for a few days and still do the stairs, if they still swell then it is the stairs. If they don't then you may not be ready to switch to the cane yet.
 
find myself walking with a limp with the cane. I can walk just fine using the walker with no limp.
I would continue to use the walker for a while---you may be trying to evolve to the cane a bit early.

This is a common tendency---we want to move ahead, but in doing so, we move a little bit too fast for our surgical knee.

As I wrote in another thread---it is better to use the walker a day too long than abandon it too early.
I love hot baths, have taken a couple this past week. Unfortunately I notice more swelling after a tub soak
When you soak in a hot bath, you allow more blood flow to areas---this is great for muscles, but for joints, that increased blood flow causes more swelling.

While you may enjoy those hot baths, you are probably causing that surgical knee to swell some.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom