TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Yorkimom It is definitely easier said than done to not worry about ROM. It has only increased 3° in last week. I can see progress over all just not on the ROM. I start feeling a little pressure as Dr projected 6-8 weeks for me to return to work and tomorrow is 3 weeks. I have up to 10 weeks that I can be off but no more.

@Clipless I should have pushed to start out patient sooner but I really like my in home PT and I wanted the location near my home. Friday was the soonest I could start there. I understand we shouldn't compare to others but it does happen. I knew we started out similar and was happy to see your progress. I figured out patient helped a lot and that was the reason I asked. I have been massaging my quad and the area around my incision. Enjoy the movie!

@PrincessTia I have never used a cane and was surprised to be told to use it in opposite hand. I love my walker too, it's a comfort thing. I still use it at night or when I am in pain while I am trying to get used to the cane.
 
Today's update: 20 days post op- flexion 63°, extension 3°
I can do 17 steps up and down with my cane, I have good gait and continuous motion with walker, no more log leg :spin:and can shower and get dressed on my own.

I know I am making progress and feel pretty good except for my ROM and hopefully it will improve soon. I am trying to stay positive and remind myself of the progress that I have made. I really appreciate all of the support and encouragement. :loveshwr:
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees

I'm nearly 16 weeks post op and my Flexion was measured yesterday at PT at 105 degrees and had been at that for over a month. Extension had improved and measured at 2/3 degrees.

Giving it closer to 6 months until I hope that Flexion will hit 110 and not until the Spring to get near 120+.
That's my goal.

Use the cane in the opposite hand for support, you will get use to it.

My OS puts all his patients on post-op day two using 2 canes for six weeks and then one cane for another 4 weeks, but only outside and not in your own home. He feels that using a cane improves the quad/thigh muscles and the hamstring/back of thigh muscles, as it takes more effort than using a walker.

Different OS have different approaches, and it's important for you to have a walking aid that you feel comfortable using.

You may find that you may need the ten weeks, before returning to work.
You also have to factor into your working day,
  • Getting up, shower, getting dressed
  • Breakfast
  • Driving or public transportation to work
  • The full working day
  • Driving back or public transportation back home
  • Resting and icing for a bit
  • Preparing dinner
  • Relaxing, icing, watching TV
  • Heading to bed - to start all over again the next day.
Don't mean to put you off, but a lot to consider when returning to work.

Cathie
 
@marmora you are right. Going to work is hard. I've delegated as much as I can and still keep my business running, but much of it I've had to do from home or even from bed through all four surgeries. It would be nice to be able to be off to focus on recovery, but I just haven't had that option. If you can be off without suffering financially that is a much better option for sure!
 
@marmora @ConnieJOS I am currently on short term disability through Dec. 1st which is 6 weeks. I see my Dr again on same day and they can extend if Dr agrees. I believe he will give me at least 8 weeks and maybe up to 10 weeks depending on how I am doing.

I do understand how hard it will be to go back to work. That's why I was thinking about it today. Even though I have a desk job it's all of the other that you mentioned. It makes for a long day. I can't hardly believe it will be 3 weeks tomorrow.
 
The time really flies, doesn't it? My OS authorized me for 12 weeks off, and I'll need every minute. To clarify, my job is strenuous and includes standing, pushing heavy equipment, and sometimes running and even kneeling. Shifts 12 hrs +. I hope I'll be ready in 12 weeks!
 
@Clipless, wow, your job is physically demanding. I hope you can go back in 12 weeks! It if your aren't physically able I'm sure your OS will authorize more time off. Take care, Anne
 
I run a warehousing business. My son is my operations manager and oversees day to day business. I have a girl who works in the office, signs in customers, answers phones, takes orders for shipments, maintains computer inventory, etc. I have one other warehouseman who loads and unloads trucks with a forklift, pulls orders, puts up inventory when received, drives the truck to make deliveries. And I keep the books, both payables and receivables, balance bank accounts, do taxes, payroll, human resources, purchasing, sales, negotiating new business, problem solving. I can delegate some of my duties, but with only four of us, when I'm out 25% of our employees are out! And none of it can be done by calling in a temp. It would takes a few weeks of training for them to be helpful, and it would have been hard to afford a new employee in for training a few weeks before my surgeries and write my own paycheck during that time as well! Plus, you don't really want just anyone getting into the financials. I'm thankful though. Without my sone taking a lot of new responsibilities at work, and Melvin taking care of housework, cooking, grocery shopping and ME, I couldn't have done it, especially four times! I've just about made it through now though.
 
@ConnieJOS, you sure do have a lot on your plate. I don't know how you do it with having four surgeries this year. You are amazing. I completely understand your saying that it's not worth training someone and you having to do the work. I only do a fraction of what you do for my husband's business. I use to have to do payroll but now we have a payroll business doing the payroll and taxes and that is such a relief. So each week I only have to send in the hours, pay the bills, do bank statements, etc. The first couple of weeks Joe sent in the hours and paid bills. I did and paid anything ahead of time so he wouldn't have to do as much. Some of our employees get direct direct deposit, including us. But Joe gets a check each week he uses for coffee, supplies, etc. that he needs through the week. That check is not direct deposited. So each week we have to add an additional check for him and we mark that the check not be direct deposited. Well don't you know one week he hit something on the computer and no one's check was direct deposited. How he did that I have no idea. He had to go out of his way to do that and he doesn't know what he did. After that I just started doing everything again. It is just easier.
 
but I'm not having fun yet lol
I don't know about that! It seemed to me like you had a great time with the other girls chasing hunks, eating apple pie and wrecking cars! :)

Your flexion will get better now that log leg has left the room. You know the saying, us it or lose it? You couldn't use it there for awhile so it might be a little slow but it will get there. Take off from work every minute you are allowed and can afford.
 
@Yorkimom Oh goodness, I understand. I must admit I've made goofy mistakes at times too. But somehow I'd rather make them than to fix them when someone else makes them. :gaah:It's all in a days work I suppose. Thanks for yor supportive comments!

Connie
 
@ConnieJOS @Clipless @Yorkimom @gr82cu2 @Minnie's knees

Connie - my admiration for you increases day by day. When you outlined your business and the responsibilities that you have, just reading it exhausted me. All of this and four Very Major surgeries and you remarkable positive attitude through it all. You deserve a reward, I will gladly give one one of my two hunks and Owen Wlison has been know to where a cowboy hat in one of his films.

@Clipless - you and your knee will be under such physical demands when you return to work, it is very understandable that you would need at least 12 weeks after surgery before returning g to work.

Anne - having your own family business brings with it a lot of responsibilities, many years ago I had my own business running a child care facility and know what all the behind the scene work can entitle, payroll, ordering, maintenance, etc. You have a lot of balls to juggle to keep it all going and making sure everyone gets paid, suppliers invoices and all the other paperwork up to date, that is the backbone of the business.

Kathy- your only 3 weeks post op and soon will be starting your out patient PT, so hopefully you will be well ready.

I took "early retirement" in September 2013. During 2011-2013, I had been in and out of hospital and at home on medical leave for various surgeries - hysterectomy, bowel surgery, cataract surgery, arthroscopy, foot surgery, adrenal gland. And knew that a TKR was waiting for me after my second arthroscopy, and OS said when the knee gave out again, that would be the time. This along with other health issues helped me to make the decision to retire at 61 vs 65.

My job in involved managing staff and providing educational support programmes to various drug rehab, ex-offender, young offender, refugee, out-patient mental health,methadone clinics, second chance education, active age retirement and prisoner release centres. Visiting several of the centres and the teaching staff throughout the week and supporting individual clients in the centres.

We each have to do what is best financially, emotionally, physically and sometimes have no choice as to returning or retiring form work.

Kathy, sorry for hijacking your post. Hope that you have a great Wednesday !

This post is getting very serious, I need to lighten it up.
:loll::rotfl::loll::heehee::rotfl: :rofsign::heehee: :loll:

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora respect for the work you do. I had jy own business and yup the role is varied to say the least. As for serious hmmmmmmm - hides superdooopersoaker gun behind bag. Squeezes trigger. Nothing looks down barrel. OOOOÒOOOOOPS

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin

Sometimes , I think I need Google translate to figure out what you've said.

Cathie
 
Oh sorry most is typos, big ogrre thumbs on tablet other is Leginism speak @marmora

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@ConnieJOS @Yorkimom some people think owning your own business is easy but I know it's not. As you said you are responsible for everything. Connie, I am so glad you have your son to help you as you recover.

@marmora it's good that you were able to take early retirement as that was best for you. I was on track for it but now that we are helping raise our grand children it may be pushed back a couple of years. I am okay with that as they are worth it.

@gr82cu2 so maybe I had a little fun with the girls :rotfl::heehee::snork: thanks for reminding me and next you can go with us.
Thank goodness for all of you.

@Legin I agree with Cathie that we need a translator for Leginism :)
 
@marmora @Minnie's knees

Yes, running a small business is demanding. There are a lot of responsibilities! You wouldn't believe how often someone will ask me to do something, maybe go on a trip, and I'll say "I don't know if I can get off work." And they say "You are the owner, you can do whatever you want!" :rofsign:What a joke! If I had that attitude, I wouldn't have my business for very long.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom