TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tiredwife it's funny you mention that about not limping with the cane. My husband tells me that I walk better with nothing than I do with the cane. Sometimes I tend to lean on the cane too much, but I stand up straight with nothing. I'm not ready to be without it this early on though, so I just need to use the cane but consciously think about standing straight as I walk with it.
 
Yes @tiredwife mine is adjustable. I've changed it from time to time just because I feel taller in certain shoes. Plus I had to adjust after my hip surgeries because they actually lengthened my legs a bit! I think it's just a matter of me depending on it too much and putting more of my weight to that side. I've had to learn to switch sides, since I've had both hips and both knees done, I've had to reevaluate which one is the current "good"side. It doesn't come naturally yet for me to stand up straight and not limp. I'm learning though and getting better at it.
 
@tiredwife @ConnieJOS My OS cautioned me about limping even though it is easier said than done right now. He also told me to extend the cane in front for balance but not to lean on it. Hope that makes sense. I will have to lengthen the cane one notch for my tennis vs at home in socks.
We have 2 stories so can't carry down laundry, darn...:rotfl:
 
@Minnie's knees i don't have that excuse. We live in a small apartment. The washer and dryer are behind sliding doors off the dining room, which I always thought was a bit strange. But Melvin still carried my basket to the washer for me for a while. Now I've found I can do it with my dressing stick. It came in an accessory package I bought before my first hip surgery. It's just a stick with a hook on the end. I just sit the basket on the floor, hook it, and drag it around like I'm pulling a little red wagon! It works! :thumb:
 
Hi Kathy @Minnie's knees

Good to see that your doctor is on top of your blood sugar readings.

We use a different scale here in Ireland and my blood sugars were usually 5.2 to 6.0 throughout the day and after the TKR were 10.2 to 13.1

Now with the addition of 2 'Metaforim they are getting down to 6.0 to 7.0. And hopefully will continue to head back down to their pre TKR levels.

Like you, I found that I put too much pressure on the cane when walking, even though it was at the correct height. And now that I am "cane less" there is less limping, but don know when I am tired that a limp will come back.

I've learned with the TKR, it is truly one day and one step at a time.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@Minnie's knees I'm really trying to catch up on everyone's threads but I think yours is going to have to close out the night. My head is nodding involuntarily. I'm sorry you got bronchitis but glad it was caught early. I'm hoping you are able to get your sugars under control very soon. Hint: Don't eat apple pie :)
 
@gr82cu2 thanks for stopping by. The nice part of the virtual Apple pie is that it is sugar and calorie free. :) And the laughter is priceless. Hope you sleep well tonight.

@Yorkimom Thank you. I haven't been able to keep up on everyone's threads either. I am going through my alerts and that's about it in between naps and therapy. Are you feeling better? Has appetite increased even a little. Thinking of you. Sleep well and have a great day tomorrow.
 
Kathy @Minnie's knees

I decorated my canes with coloured ribbon - a girl needs a bit of bling where not wearing a crown outdoors.

Also bought cycling gloves and used those, as the pressure gave me hard skin/blister at the base oh my hand from using the cane.

Now that I am cane free the skin is getting back to normal.

Take it one step at a time,

Cathie
 
Happy Veterans Day to all military members and their families.

[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
 
@marmora I love the idea of ribbon on the cane. My hands hurt from the walker. I am sure the cane will do the same. My RA is bad in my hands and left hand is weakest. Enjoy your day.
 
@Clipless I saw on your thread that your ROM is improving nicely. Do you credit that to your therapy or anything specifically? ROM is my biggest fear right now as its going no where fast. I was in the immobilizer the first 11days due to log leg and feel like that was a disadvantage. I am still doing at home PT and not much benefit at this point. I start out patient PT on Friday.
 
Good morning @Minnie's knees! I hope you are feeling better today. Please try not to worry about your ROM (I know easier said than done). You are still so early in recovery. I think once you go to outpatient PT you will start to see improvement. I know it seems like mine is taking forever but I can see steady progress so that is good and I know the same will happen to you. I am feeling much better. I still don't have all my stamina back but I am doing so much better than just a week ago. The potassium seems to be helping. Yesterday I got my times mixed up with PT and got there an hour early. So my neighbor who drive me took me to BJ's to get some things. This was my first venture grocery shopping. We were in the store for 45 minutes. By the time I got back to the car, I was tired and sweating, but my breathing wasn't labored like before. Then I had my PT. Needless to say when I got home I was exhausted. I took a two hour nap and felt better. This recovery just takes time. Hope you have a great day. Anne
 
Kathy, I agree with Yorkimom above. It is very tempting to want to compare your progress with others (and I am GUILTY, too!), but we must try not to do that. Since you and I have had some similar early issues (inhibited muscles, immobilizer, walker, ineffective home PT) I know you will benefit greatly from outpatient physical therapy. Time helps, too.

Something I started doing about the second week was massaging the swollen, hard-as-rock areas with my fingertips. I stayed away from the actual incision, though. This seemed to start everything loosening up a bit. PT has done two deep massages around my knee (at least they feel deep!). It is pretty intense but I think it helps. Yesterday the therapist put on gloves and gently massaged the actual incision line. I am not any more flexible today, but I am trying to withhold my impatience. Today I will attend a noon matinee of "Interstellar", at a luxury style theater with big seats
 
[Oops, didn't finish]... *so I can put my leg up.

Can you begin outpatient PT earlier than friday? I was dissatisfied with home PT, so I discharged them early. I was going to wait another week to start outpatient PT, but the clinic convinced me to come in right away. I'm glad I did. My son had to drive me at first. Now I can drive myself.
 
I walked with a cane for seven years before the surgery. At first my right knee was the bad one, then the left knee chimed in, so I've had to use the cane with both sides. I'm sure that when I switch to a cane, I will have to unlearn some bad habits.:bignono: You have the advantage of learning how to use it properly from the beginning.:tada: Right now, though, I love my walker and don't want to give it up!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom