TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tiredwife Yes up and down stairs in the immobilizer. I respect and appreciate your opinion but I am scared to get rid of it. Both therapists (at the hospital and in home) as well as OS' s PA have told me I need to use it until quad muscle engages or I could fall. I see OS on Monday. I can lift my log leg about 2-3" but it causes a lot of burning pain at the bottom of knee cap as the quad muscle is not holding it. I am doing my exercises several times a day with heel slides, quad sets, and leg lifts with roll under my knee and without. I can feel the quad muscle tightening but I still can't lift the leg much and not without pain. And on top of that my ROM is not improving much, I am only at 60 and its day 10. It is so frustrating and I feel like I am so behind where I should be even though I know every knee is different. I don't have much visable swelling and very minimal bruising but the knee is so tight and just won't bend like it should. Sorry for the rant. I have been trying not to stress over it but it is hard not to worry.
 
@Minnie's knee I think once they allow you to get rid of the immobilizer and you start walking up and down the stairs normally, and walking normally otherwise your ROM will greatly increase. ROM often goes backwards for a little while and I know you stressed over it, but you are only 10 days out. With knee one hubby's ROM was really slow coming. It will get there.
 
@Minnie's knees, please try not to stress out over your ROM. I went to outpatient PT right after surgery, so my first appointment was four days after surgery. They measured me at either 82 or 84, I can't quite remember. They were the PT from hell. I quit and went to my previous PT from last surgery the very next week, which was day 11. They measured me and I slide all the way back to a 62. So I know exactly how you feel. Just concentrate on icing and elevating constantly. Keeping it down and doing too much will only increase your swelling which will inhibit your ROM. I am now 6 weeks out and am finally at 92. I too wish it was more, but I will get there and so will you!! Hang in there. Anne
 
@Yorkimom I am trying not to stress but between not being able to lift my log leg, the immobilizer and low ROM it's hard not to. I am also worried about seeing my OS on Monday and what he is going to say about my knee. At least the staples should be out on Monday.

@HobbitCatMom Thank you for the encouragement. I am worried about my quad muscle not engaging enough for me to lift my leg at 10 days out. I have read of this happening maybe the first week but mine is being stubborn.
 
@Minnie's knees You poor thing! Have you tried gently massaging your quad muscle? It must just need a little TLC. That might increase the blood flow and promote some healing. I agree though, until you are sure it is active and awake you should use the immobilizer because the last thing you need is to fall. Your scar healing is also a part of getting ROM back. Right now it is very stiff and held pretty immobile from your staples. That will get better and feel better once the staples come out. I wouldn't be worried about what your OS is going to say. This early on, your recovery progress is his baby (his responsibility). You are limited to what he gave you this early in recovery. I think I would ask him to explain any and all possible reasons why this is continuing to happen. You certainly haven't done anything wrong. Hopefully they will x-ray your knee at your appointment. They did x-ray mine at my first follow up. If something is wrong, and I'm not saying it is, maybe they will see it.
 
@gr82cu2 I definitely plan to ask him to x-ray it on Monday. Hopefully nothing is wrong and he has some ideas about the quad muscle. He believes in aggressive PT and I hope he has another solution as I won't agree to that. I hope to keep my at home PT for another 2 weeks. I really like her and she listens to me. She pushes but only to discomfort not pain.
 
@Minnie's knees, I can see why you are worried with the combination of ROM and your quad muscles. @gr82cu2 gave a good suggestion about massaging your quad. Hopefully that will help. I hope that your OS has some suggestions and I agree with you in not wanting aggressive PT. We know that doesn't help. Your therapist sounds like Christine, push to discomfort but not pain. Hang in there and keep us posted on your appointment on Monday.
 
I have been massaging my quad as it is tender from where the tourniquet was applied. Do you think it would hurt to apply a warm compress on the quad if it is not close to the incision? I am still on aspirin for blood thinners if that makes a difference.

I figured it was time to update my avatar. It took me awhile to find one because I don't like very many pictures of myself.:unsure:
 
Minnie's Knees, I can't imagine massaging my quad at just 10 days out...it was still so sore. Actually it still is. I was told if you apply heat to always follow with ice. Maybe apply light heat before a gentle massage. Then I've after? That's what they do with my knee....

I think your OS is going to tell you on Monday that some legs react that way and it will be gone very soon.
Joni


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Minnie's knees, Kathy, just chill with all of this. You are 10 days out. It is but a mere drop in the ocean, Just relax, don't whatever happens copy or measure yourself against others recoveries. It's individual, it can impact how badly deteriorated the joint was, there are no end if things. Your rom will come when it's ready. As long as your doing heel sides I wouldn't even be worrying about anything else. Log leg is horrible. You are not failing, you are certainly not slow in your recovery. I have to go. I've the worst headache and the light from this device is no good for it.

I'll stop by later

Please take your time. Love Ann xxx
 
What does he consider aggressive PT? My OS insists his patients begin formal PT 3-5 days following release from the hospital but in the beginning it wasn't aggressive. How aggressively you're treated depends mostly on your therapist as we've read over and over here on BS. I lucked out totally when I got my beloved Michelle :) And I'm insisting on having her again. If you don't like your PT get another one. They are all different. How is the quad doing today? Any progress?
 
@Minnie's knees Hubby had knots in his muscles were the tourniquet was. Took me forever to massage it out. The only problem from heat that I know of is that it can cause fluid to be drawn to that area and thus cause swelling. If you don't have swelling in the area go for it, but just a short time. Follow with ice. On hubby's 1st knee his knot in his thigh muscle was one of the main causes of his pain.
 
@Minnie's knees, since you are going to see your OS tomorrow, I would wait and see what he says about heat. The only thing about heat, like @tiredwife said is that it can make the area swell. I did massage my quad as much as I could and that did help tremendously. Good luck tomorrow. Anne
 
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA

I was able to lift my leg about 3-4" off the bed with a lot of effort today. Only a few times before I got tired but it is something! Last night I only woke up with alarm for pain meds and several hours of sleep feels good. I will probably wait on the heat until I see OS tomorrow. I don't see any swelling but knee is still tight so I know it is swollen inside. I have had only minimal bruising and no black and blue on top of leg. The black and blue behind the knee is mostly gone. I do feel I am making some progress as I am getting around a little easier with less assistance. I will be so happy to have the staples out tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom