TKR Minnes new knee and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy @Minnie's knees

Sorry to hear about your experience at your OS office and hope that after getting home and resting and having something to raise your blood sugar you are feeling better.

Take care and one day at a time,
Cathie
 
@Yorkimom my Blood pressure was okay but my sugars were high after I got home. I had also taken a full dose of pain meds without eating something. So probably all of this. I read that while pain and pain meds do not affect the sugars the stress from pain can raise the sugars. I will keep a close eye on it from now on. I slept about 7 hours last night, had a short walk to bathroom with and without the immobilized.

@marmora Thank you for checking on me. I plan to take it easy today and rest other than PT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kathy @Minnie's knees

I am type 2 Diabetic. My Blood sugars were higher than normal from Day One post-op and the OS and my Family Physician felt that in a few weeks after the stress of the surgery had settled they would be back to their normal readings.

At 10 weeks, they were still unusually high and my normal daily injection of Victoza 1.2 mg was no longer enough to keep the readings at a normal level.

My Endocrinologist added 2 tablets of Metaforim one at breakfast @ one at dinner to my medication and now 4 weeks later the blood sugar readings are back to normal.

The body responds in mysterious ways after a TKR and it is surprising what can be affected.

Take care and congratulations on 7 hours sleep - I'm still waking up at least once on the night at week 15 post-op.

Cathie
 
@marmora, I forgot that you were diabetic. That is a fear that I have. For the last 10 years or so I am tested every six months as I have been pre diabetic. Both my mother and her mother developed Type 2 diabetes when they were 58 and my cousin (on maternal side) got juvinele diabetes when she was 10. So my doctor said that I will most likely get it.
 
Anne @Yorkimom

About 12 years ago I had a heart attack, pretty scary and unexpected to say the least.

A day or two later, while in the hospital, the doctor came in to tell me he had some bad news,
"Cathie, I'm afraid to tell you that you have diabetes".

I look at him and started to chuckle and told him, that wasn't bad news- having the heart attack was.
And that diabetes was something that I could have control over.

I've always looked at diabetes like that, with good control and careful monitoring it is a condition that can be maintained.

My father had Type 2 Diabetes, but died of a heart attack at age 51 and his 2 sisters and one brother also died of heart problems all by the age of 55.

When I hit my 56 birthday, did I celebrate !!!

I'm 62 now and each year is a blessing and I try to appreciate life each and every day .

Take care,
Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My sugars are starting to level out finally. My knee is really stiff and swollen today. I have been up several times walking around without the immobilizer. The knee bent a few times getting in and out of bed when I didn't expect it..ouch :scare:
 
@marmora you are so right. Diabetes can be managed. The heart attack was certainly the bad news. It does put things into perspective when something like that happens.

@Yorkimom hopefully you never get diabetes but if you do just stay on top of it.
 
@marmora, how scary it must have been for you when you had the heart attack! With having a history of heart disease in your family, I can only imagine how you felt. You are right, diabetes is manageable and I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for sharing your story. It really puts things into perspective, doesn't it! Have a good night. Anne
 
Hi @madinana I lost a whopping 21lb through the appetite loss from surgery. That's so true. However the appetite returns.........
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
along with that lovely weight gain!!! X

@Minnie's knees how are you feeling today? I hope you're okay. I've just had a fright. I'm going to post on my thread though xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
@Nana moon 27 @marmora @tiredwife
-----2 weeks today------ longest 2 weeks ever, lol.
blood pressure is good, blood sugars still up and down but not as bad. It has been raining for 2 days, Knee is still very tight, ROM not improving much. I should start out patient PT next rweek. I am walking without the immobilizer which is progress. Hopefully slow and steady wins the race.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Minnes new knee and MUA
That's fantastic progress!!!!

Please, @Minnie's knees

Don't become a member of the ODIC though! Any aches/pains or discomfort just go back to your walker your barely two weeks out of surgery. It's a bit early really. Have a read through the stuff the moderators sent you earlier. They're short and very easy to read. No heavy complicated techy words.

Ask @Josephine for advice re your post directly above this.

Please, please,please don't make the mistakes I made by doing too much soon It's just so not worth it. The worst thing you can do is compare yourself against another persons recovery. Mine was uber slow. I used to despair when some people got well so quick. A friend of mine on here almost 12 months down the line is having terrific problems. Because inside a month she was on her feet all day, she has her own business. She's alone, she had no choice. Been back to the surgeon who's dismissed her as nothing. She's very upset right now x so please think about these things. We are all different, unique and the same applies to our recoveries. Be glad for people who recover quickly. I did and I am. I love hearing a good recovery story. I never ever begrudged anyone a fast recovery. However, I did the whole why me thing.

Also physio's must never, ever hurt you xxx Your ROM will come. Be patient, I know first hand how hard this is and you don't want to be seen as a failure etc etc! I'm ever so glad that you health is starting to stabilise. This surgery does more to our system than we actually realise.

When I had my revision I saw it as a second chance. I've gone with the flow this time and it feels so right now.

You can do it ....❤️

Take care
Love Ann xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@tiredwife and @madinana Thank you both. I did 8 steps up and down today without the immobilizer while PTwas here. Leg lifts are still hard but I am doing them. ROM was 60 and not sure it has improved much. PT will measure again on Friday. l am using my walker and OS said I can transition to cane starting next week. I am trying hard to stay out of ODIC.
 
broken link removed: https://funny-pictures.picphotos.net/friendship-glitter-phrases-comments-and-graphics-codes/img1.123friendster.com*en*imissyou*300.jpg/Wishing you a peaceful night !
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom