TKR Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MidWest,

Did your surgeon say exactly what he meant by the statement that you almost waited too long? I have asked that very question to at least three different OS's least three different OS's and all three told me no and that I should wait until I could wait no more. I too am young, and this is a huge decision as you know first hand. I believe this should be end of the road surgery, once it's done it's done. But, the worry that I might hear that I waited too long did indeed cross my mind, so I asked the surgeons. It's so disheartening to read that others are being told a person could wait too long.
 
Well, based on my experience I'd say it's definitely helpful to do it before you're so debilitated that your muscle tone goes totally downhill. Having strong muscles around the knee helps with your recovery.
 
I'm having a relatively easy recovery from my latest knee replacement. There were times before the TKR that I wondered if I was getting it done too soon, but my surgeon said it was truly ready when he saw it in theatre.

I had the surgery before I had lost muscle strength and tone and before I had any distortion of tendons and ligaments. I'm sure that's at least partly the reason why my recovery had been so uncomplicated.
 
No TKA surgery for me at this time. He said my knee isn't bad enough. It was disappointing but I understand where he's coming from. But it still was a sad day for me and tears were shed (after I got home of course).
 
Update: my knee is doing pretty good. It was really achey this last weekend tho as a weather front came through and dumped 6.5 inches of snow. Also discovered the shoveling snow aggravates my knee. I'm sure it's probably from the added weight of lifting the snow etc. it left me with a swollen and stiff knee. I'm assuming as the years go by this won't happen as much. Round two of snow moves in Wednesday - another 2-5 inches. Ugh! I hope everyone is doing well.
 
@midwest girl .... How are you doing these days? Surviving all the snow???
 
Hi @Jamie! Yes - I'm surging the winter. I think we are on the tail end of it. The forecast says temps in the 60's this week. I saw a robin yesterday so that's another sign that spring is just around the corner. My knee is doing well. This week will be 10 months since my TKA and it's been 2 months since the scope on the knee for patellar clunk. I still will get signs when I've done too much - like yesterday, shopping and running errands all day. My knee felt swollen and achy. This winter I found that I wasn't as active and have gained the weight I lost (plus some) after my TKA. I'm hoping with the nicer weather that will change and my activity level will increase. I'm still limited by my left knee tho. But overall I'm happy with my new knee. Hope you are well! Thanks for checking in with me.
 
Good to hear! We're looking for those warmer days too. I think you'll find yourself feeling better and better about your new knee with some more time. It's true that real recovery is a year or more. That doesn't mean that you can't do plenty in that time, but it can take that long to really become friends with your new joints.
 
The first robin of spring! hope we see one around here soon...
 
Question? Is it possible to take Jazzercise classes after a TKA? I know the floor exercises may be out because of the kneeling. But am wondering if anyone has done the classes and how did your knee feel.
 
New development with my left knee. On March 25th (a Wednesday) at work I was sitting at my desk and stood up and had an excruciating stabbing pain in my left knee, medial side. I couldn't put weight on it or straighten it. Very reminiscent of what happened to me three years ago, which resulted in a knee scope. I figured out that a loose body probably had worked its way in between the two bones. I sat down, massaged and moved my patella, kind of shook my leg around and then stood up and the pain was gone and I could straighten my leg. My knee was sore the rest of the day, but had no problems for the rest of the day or the next day. Two days later on a Friday it happened again. But was fine on Saturday and Sunday.

But starting on Monday it has happened every single day and on one day several times. I will stand up, I'll get a sharp pain, can't bear weight, can't straighten my leg. I'll move the patella around and massage my knee and it always seems to dislodge the floater. But now a couple of new things are happening. After I get the floater dislodged I'll have sharp pain behind my knee for a few hours before it goes away. And the last couple of times after dislodging the floater I'll get up and start walking and my knee will buckle.

So I've called and gotten my follow-up appointment with my surgeon moved up from my May appointment. I can't go another month of this. I never know when I'll get that floater stuck and am worried that at some point I won't be able to dislodge it. Also the fact that it is now buckling concerns me. I just don't want to fall.

When I met my surgeon in January he said my knee wasn't bad enough for a TKA. So I'm going to ask about having a scope on this knee to clean it out and remove the loose body. Plus I think it will give my surgeon a good idea of where my knee is at in the timeline towards a TKA. If having my knee scoped buys me time I think it will be worth it. Any opinions on this? I'm hoping that this surgery will be an easy recovery like my scope surgery on my right TKA knee this past January. Surgery on Wednesday - back to work on Monday crutches free! I'm also flying in May (the 18th & the 20th) and am wondering how big a window I would need around that date to feel safe. I don't think I would want surgery the week before and then fly. Blood clots would be my fear.

Just when I was resigned to the fact that I wouldn't be having a TKA on my left knee this year, this little problem arises. But if I can get it cleaned up and it buys me some time, it may be worth it.
 
I've noticed that I can't see anyone's signatures at the end of their posts anymore. Not even mine. Am I missing them somewhere? Has something changed?
 
11 months ago today was my TKA. Can't believe it's been almost a year!
 
A year, I am so far from there. Like you I was thinking of getting the other knee done, but I can't see that right now. Still fighting the recovery battle on this right knee. Only 6 weeks out.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nothing has changed with the page views. It may be the device you are using if you're on a smartphone or tablet. Have you tried switching screen views?

Sorry about your other knee. But it sounds like it's time to get to your surgeon. These things never really get better....just worse with time.
 
Thanks @Jamie for the info. I'm using my iPhone and when I hold it vertically, I can't see the signatures - but when I turn it horizontally, all the signatures are there!!

Another question - I'm beginning to notice on my right TKA knee the crunching again when rising from a seated position. This was the same kind of crunching that led to the clunking which led to the knee scope to remove the wad of scar tissue that had developed behind the knee cap. I had that done in January. when I had the scope he told me that he thought this would take care of it for several years and maybe for good. My question is does being overweight contribute to the internal scar tissue development? It will be discouraging if this leads to the clunking/catching and this is just an endless cycle of scar tissue development. My knee was doing so good until all this started last fall.
 
Hang in there @wberry it does get better! 6 weeks is really early in the recovery process. At 6 weeks I was still using a walker. I had a MCL repair with the TKA and had to be 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks. It really does get better as the days go by!!! You can do it!!
 
Saw my surgeon today in regards to my left knee. I'm scheduled for a knee scope in June to clean-up the knee - for debridement and to remove the loose body. Hopefully this will buy me some time. I had this done three years ago on this knee - hoping for three more.
 
Seriously, that is great, I am looking forward to each week. Getting my quads back in shape is going to be a long road to walk. I keep working them day by day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Would any of the administrators or anyone else know the answer to this question?
I know that I can change my thread title myself, and I have done so in the past. But to the right of my title the only option I have is "unwatch thread". There is no thread tools option. Any suggestions?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom