TKR Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working 10:30-3:30 today which is 4 1/2 hrs of work. Half that time I've been sitting at my desk with my leg propped on a chair and an ice pack on the knee. With the poor sleep last night due to coughing and getting ready for work and the cold I was exhausted before I got here. I think a lot of people think a scope isn't that big of a surgery. But to me it's still surgery which takes a toll on your body. And add the fact that your body is trying to fight a cold. Just wish people were a little more compassionate.
 
midwestgirl, I just cannot get to sleep on my back, but found that if I laid on the operated side, the weight of the whole leg was fully supported by the mattress and didn't give me any bother. Lying on the un-operated side was a definite no-no! I was very lucky in that, although at 8 weeks I'm still getting a lot of pain,swelling and stiffness through the day, I was able to sleep through the night within 2 weeks of surgery.
 
Another discouraging visit with my surgeon. Had my 2 week follow up with him today. He said I'm out of options. I'm done. My knee is that bad. So now it's a matter of deciding when. I go back in 5 weeks. This will give me more time for the knee to heal and call down some to see how it feels. A little discouraged this afternoon.
 
This coming Monday (7/27/15) is my 6 week post knee scope appt. My knee feels worse than it did pre-scope. But I don't have anything catching in the joint anymore so at least it fixed that. I'll be getting a cortisone injection on Monday. I've never looked forward to an injection more. We'll also discuss where to go from here. We know if has to be replaced. I just want to know how long can I wait.

I also have a question for anyone who has had experience with this. On the left leg of the knee that needs to be replaced I have a bad varicose vein. It runs from top of the thigh to the ankle. It starts at the top of the middle if the thigh then runs down the outer thigh, down the side of the knee and then crosses to the inner ankle. I also have a branch that at the outer knee it branches across to the front of the knee. And I believe it branches around the back of the knee. Whenever I've gotten cortisone injections he tends to hit that vessel and I get bruising. Enough to now it is an iron stain.

My question is has anyone ever had a replacement with a varicose vein like that and what affect does it have. My right tka leg has varicose veins also but it is just 2 places - inner thigh & inner calf. I didn't know what affect the tourniquet has on varicose veins and if there is issues with blood clots. I told my orthopedics surgeon that I was wanting to have the varicose vein taken care of and he said I had to allow 3 months on both sides (before & after) of a tka to have that procedure done. I originally was planning on having that done this year when the original plan was to do the tka next year. I was just wanting some insight with TKAs and varicose veins if anybody had any. Maybe it's not an issue at all.
 
Hello @midwest girl

It is a horrible feeling when the OS says it's time. I'm sorry you didn't get a response you'd have liked better.

I have varicose veins on my left leg. My left knee was replaced abut 7/8 weeks ago. I'd had the veins done years ago, when I was in my twenties, as they were awful. They made my legs ache and every thing. It was a relief to get them done. However, over the years more developed. The NHS refused to do them as it's now classed as cosmetic surgery! I have had no problem with the surgery with them apart from the usual aching. I was no more risk than the person next to me. My treatment was the same. I couldn't wear the TEDS as they made both my knees balloon up.

However I would tag Josephine into your question. We are all different. Plus yours are in a different place to mine. I think it would be wise to get some advice first. Did your OS say whether you should have them done first? Would it be worthwhile contacting him and asking the question?

Sending you a big hug and hope that you're feeling a little more cheery today.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@midwest girl , I have venous insufficiency in both legs and need to have them fixed with a thermal ablation method. Mine are mostly under the surface but you can see varicose veins standing out in some places. I had a diagnostic ultrasound prior to my tkr and had my first leg scheduled. They got me in to do the surgery so quickly that I had to cancel the appointment for the ablation. I talked to my OS about it and, at the time, he said to wait at least 6 weeks. I'm well past that now but think I'll go ahead and schedule the other leg to be done first to give this one a bit more time. I will have to wear compression hose for 3 weeks afterwards though so am considering waiting until fall to have it done -- the 100 degree days we're having right now don't sound very pleasant with compression hose on. I do notice that the one place that is still kind of sore and tender is right where they said my veins were the worst so am wondering if that will fix that issue too.

Roxie
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27 and @Kansas Teacher for the response. Yes Kansas Teacher the heat we are having is awful. Back in Aug 1989 I had the varicose vein in my right leg surgically stripped and had to wear compression pantyhose under my jeans for weeks. With that August heat it was awful! Thank goodness the new method is laser ablation. I know you still have to wear the compression hose so I think this is a good procedure to have done in the winter.

As far as when to have my left TKA, if my surgeon suggests to have it done yet this year the latest I would do it is October. I don't want to get into the end of the year when a lot of surgeries and physical therapy appointments are made (due to people having met their yearly insurance deductibles). And I prefer not to do a TKA in the winter months because I don't want the hassle of walking on snow and ice on a new knee and risking a fall.

The best I can do is wait and see what the OS says tomorrow.
 
So today I saw my OS. Received an cortisone injection and honestly I think that is the first time ever that there was a bit of a bite with that injection! We talked about when to have the total knee done and he feels I need to have it done yet this year. It's just that bad. He now does the personalized knee implants. He wants me to come back in a month and then we will start the process towards a total knee replacement. I will need to have a CT scan and those scans are sent into the company. He said it takes 6 weeks to make all the components and once he receives those we will then set a surgery date. Honestly, after the appointment I went out to the car and cried. I know that everyone on here would understand the emotions that go along with this surgery. It is a huge decision that involves so many different facets. And there is still that fear factor there. I know what is on the other side after recovery and that it is great! It's just all of that between now and then that still has a fear element to it. I think he sensed some hesitancy in my voice and that's why he said come back in a month. I trust my surgeon and I know that he only wants whats best for me, thus the reason he is saying it's time. But I'm sure you all know the emotions that go along with that decision for me. Feeling a little sad, a little anxious tonight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I get the fear. I was very stressed out before surgery. I put all my affairs in order just in case. But I had waited a year since the last time I was told to get it done--the first time I was told to just do it was in 2003! I was pretty miserable by the time surgery rolled around, but I still dreaded the whole idea. I think you can't worry too much about all the things that may or may not happen after surgery. What matters is that when all is said and done, you will better and be able to do more. Before surgery, I absolutely hated going grocery shopping because I would hurt so much it was hard to get all the way around the store. By 8 weeks, I could walk around the store without pain--though I noticed I need to build my stamina up a bit again. And I can walk much further now. Even without a lot of ROM, I can do stairs, drive, shower without a bath stool, cook, do dishes, do laundry--some of that I was doing at 3 weeks out. Focus on where you will be 3 months after surgery. At least you know you can get your questions answered here.

Gilina
 
@Gilina thanks for the encouragement! I had my right knee replaced last year so I know what to expect and I know how good the results will be. What's throwing me off a little is that I'm comparing knees. My left knee doesn't feel like my right did when it was replaced. At the end I was in horrible pain before it was replaced. My left knee isn't that painful. I have pain behind my knee and every once in awhile that bone on bone pain. But I don't have that audible crunching and grinding that I had with my right.

But I think the point my OS is trying to stress to me is that he doesn't want me to wait as long as I did with my right. He scoped it this past June and said it is bad. Worst knee he has ever scoped. He said today - I don't see how you're walking around on that knee.

And I know I'm a horrible decision maker. I will analyze this to death. I live alone and while I know the recovery is doable it can be challenging. I'll be doing my recovery during winter months, something I wanted to avoid. But bad snowy winters can be a hit or miss in the Midwest. Knowing surgery could be 2 1/2-3 months away feels like a time crunch to get everything lined up with home, work and my other commitments. Like I said, there probably is never a good time.

I have a month to think about it. But like I said, I trust my surgeon. He would never push me into doing something I don't want to do. He's just laying it out there. I remember last year agonizing over that decision until I forced myself to make the surgery date. Once the surgery was done I never regretted it. I know the struggles and hurdles and pain (honestly the biggest pain I had was issues with horrible constipation. And that has been a continuing issue with these past 2 subsequent surgeries. That is a huge fear/concern for me). But I made it through - no regrets. I just want a good knee.
 
@midwest girl
You know that your knee won't get better by itself. I think you should listen to your surgeon and plan to get it replaced this year. While it may not feel as bad as your other knee did, there's no knowing when it will suddenly decide to bite you with continuous pain.
Recovering in winter won't be so bad. You'll be safe and warm inside, and glad that you don't have to go out in the bad weather.
 
Well today I met with my surgeon and we scheduled my surgery for my left TKA. I'm scheduled for Nov 10th. Thursday I will be having a CT scan of my left leg and the images will be mailed to the company (Dupuy TruMatch) who will make a custom fit implant.

Last night I went through my journal of my days pre & post op & recovery with my right knee. 15 months later and it still gave me butterflies in the pit of my stomach. Scary to be going through this again in 2 months.

Administrators do I need to start a new thread in the pre-op forum for this knee? Or do I continue with this thread but change the title and have it moved to pre-op? Or just stay where I'm at? I know you like all the posts in the same thread, didn't know how that works when it's a different knee TKA. Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I started a new thread when l had my right knee replaced, but that was only because l didn't know if my old thread could have been reopened (it was closed).
You're doing the right thing having your other knee replaced - I,too, kept a journal from when l had my left knee replaced. Do remember that no 2 recoveries are the same. Good luck.
 
I think you're far enough out from the last knee that it makes sense to start a new thread for the new knee. Congratulations? on joining the 2 knee club (but not the bilat club, so no secret handshake @referee54 apparently :heehee: )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom