TKR Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my 3 month follow-up appointment with my OS this morning and he was very happy with my progress. All the pains I've been having and the inability to master stairs yet he said all were normal. It just takes time. He asked if I had any regrets doing the replacement and I said no and that I was ready to have the second one done! He said whenever I wanted to have it done he would do it. It wont be done this year for insurance reasons of not having enough allotted PT sessions for the rest of this year to use on a new TKA. But I'm strongly considering having it done next year. I go back in 6 months and will probably give him my decision then. Which interestingly enough was the same time I went this year to schedule my RTKA. I asked him why the change of heart from wanting to wait 3 years because he thought my left knee had that much life in it. He said that a lot of people once they feel how great there TKA's feel they don't want to wait to have the other done. And with my right knee being worse than he thought he said there is no reason to wait. He's leaving the decision totally up to me. He also said if I need any cortisone shots in my left knee to get through to my next TKA, that it was no problem, just stop in whenever I need those. Definitely a good doctors visit! Definitely the best kind to have!
 
Great follow up! I am having my left tkr in September 8 months after my right. I feel the same way - my first feels so good I want my other knee done to hopefully match! Glad your recovery has gone so well!
 
@midwest girl I am hoping my OS will be as accommodating in regard to cortisone shots. He gave me one injection at the end of May and I was hoping to be able to get through the balance of this year without having to do this other knee, but in the last week it has really started to get bad. Isn't there a limit on the number of cortisone shots one can have in a year?
 
@Phil75070 I think each surgeon is different. Mine let me come in every 3 months for shots. And I did that for over a year. I'm thinking my RTKA had 4-6 shots before I replaced it. But once I figured out it was only giving me a week or two of relief I quit getting them. My left knee I would get a shot every other time. Personally I don't think I would get shots for years and years. I hope your surgeon is sympathetic and will give you a shot to get some relief.
 
I'm taking a little poll. If you did one TKA at a time, how long did you wait in between surgeries?
 
I am having my second knee done in September. They will be 8 months apart - almost a pregnancy. Lol. I have many issues with my blood and was really waiting until I had a couple good blood tests in a row. So now I feel strong enough to have the second one done.
 
Yes, I'm wanting my RTKA to be healed and strong before my LTKA, which at this point may be a year apart. And knowing what I know now I'll have a better understanding on how to prepare and what to expect.
 
I'm taking a little poll. If you did one TKA at a time, how long did you wait in between surgeries?

The original "plan" for me was based on my OS's preferences. We were going to wait 3 months before doing the other knee, but this one healed so well that I was back to playing golf within a very reasonable time and now want to wait until after January 1 (MY preference - if the knee will let me). That would be almost 10 months between TKRs.
 
My doc wanted me to wait a year (but that was possibly due to the RA & him wanting me fully recovered). My second knee wasn't nearly as bad as the first at the time of the first though. Ultimately it was 3 years.
 
Does anyone else still have issues with energy drain and low stamina this far out from your surgery date? I know I'm only 3 1/2 months out from surgery but my stamina is awful. And I'm having energy drains like I did the first month post-op. Thursday night I went to the state fair for a concert and with all the walking and stair climbing I was beat! Saturday went shopping with a friend for a few hours and I was worn out from that. Today I tackled mowing for the first time post op. I'm so thankful it was a cool, cloudy day or it would have taken me twice as long. From the mowing (which I only got the front yard trimmed and mowed) I learned that my quad isn't as strong as I thought, that towards the end as my energy drained I noticed I was almost shuffling my right foot. I had to make a conscious effort to lift my foot and walk. But it also showed that I'm so glad I had the TKA because I had no joint pain. But my left knee did, so I have no doubts about mg decision to have my left knee replaced next year. I'm assuming that at 3 1/2 months out that I'll still have energy drains? I know one of the last things my PT told me was that I needed to work on my walking stamina.
 
I think our surgery dates were very close. I get so tired still. I could sleep 12 hours a day every day. I think it may be because I am doing more. I have to keep looking back at my first post op pics.
 
I guess I'm just about 3 months and back to work. whew do I get wiped out. Tried to power through a bit today and am now with my pal :ice: I bet I'll go to bed pretty early tonight. I think I was feeling energy drain last time for several months but it gradually got better.
 
A week ago I passed my 4 month anniversary of my RTKA. Still doing well. I find that one of my biggest challenges is getting exercises in - especially walking. I still have great flexion & extension, 0-130 degrees. Stairs are still a challenge bug I forced myself to take them just to work on it. Going down the stairs is still painful - more if a stretching tight feeling across (vertically) across the knee - I'm assuming the patellar tendon is still tight. I will still have some quad pain and I definitely have stiffness, just upon rising from a seated position and only if I've been sitting for more than 30 min. I'm sure this will all improve with time. I don't take any narcotic pain meds, mainly Tylenol if needed. And even then it is only 1000 mg/ day. And I still have swelling, more like fluid retention in my right calf. Still need to improve my standing stamina and still have some issues with sleeping through the night. These seem like a lot of things I still need to overcome, but I think these are all minor and they will improve with time.

My left knee is ok and I'm hoping it will calm down and I can prolong the TKA, but the plan is to still do the TKA next May or June. There are days I actually miss the PT because I felt it gave me the time to actually work on strengthening my knee. The busyness of my life should calm down dome in the next couple of weeks so I'm hoping to get into the habit of exercise again. I want my legs and body strong for the next TKA. I still have no regrets. And I don't anticipate ever having any. There are actually days, that I may go through the majority of the day that I don't even think of my new knee. Until I have those zings of the nerve regeneration. It's kind of a reminder to still massage my scar and move my kneecap. My PT wanted me to do that daily for 6 months while the scar and underlying scar tissue forms and molds.

All these things I'm experiencing are still all normal according to my PT. She really is the best! Although no longer in therapy, any questions I may have my PT tells me to just email or call her and she'll be happy to answer them. She has also assured me that she's available to help me in any way she can to get me ready for the next TKA - without wearing my left knee out too fast. Ha! Overall, I think I'm doing pretty good!
 
I agree. You sound like you are having a very normal recovery. It certainly is common to have some discomfort with stairs and that tight band feeling for a while. It could even last past the 6 month mark, so don't let it worry you. Same with swelling. My knees tended to swell at times for up to a year. It's just a slow recovery sometimes. But one day you'll just magically notice that things are better as you're going about your life again. I'm really happy to hear you're doing so well.
 
Today I am 5 months post op! Scar looks ok. Still have some stiffness when rising from seated positions and stairs are still a challenge, but I think I'm doing ok! Had a cortisone injection in my left knee this morning, so I'm hoping that will get me through to February when I see my OS for my 9 month follow-up. At that time I'll schedule my TKA on my left knee for probably the end of May or first of June . It's going to be a long 9 months.
[Bonesmart.org] Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.
 
This 4 day old bruise is from a cortisone injection in my left knee. I've never had a bruise like this after an injection. Crazy!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.
 
Why does the burning/pain of nerve regeneration always seem to rear it's ugly head at bedtime?
 
It's probably there all day but you notice it at bedtime since you are getting still. :( feel better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom