TKR Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty intense at night. I find if I put a heating pad on it, it calms it down enough to where I can sleep.
 
I've had those days too. At least the heating pad helps some.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I have a question about the TKA knee popping. From the beginning when I bent my knee it popped or clicked - just once. Today when I'm getting up from a seated position or straighten my leg from a bent knee position it cracks/pops several times. It doesn't hurt but definitely makes me cringe. Is this normal?
 
Those popping or crackling noises are normal. It can be present because you have hard metal and plastic interacting with the ligaments and tendons as you move. The sounds can lessen with time and/or you become accostomed to them and don't notice it so much any more. At any rate, since there is no pain associated with the movement or sounds, it's nothing to worry about.
 
Thank you @Jamie for the fast response! I figured it was normal but wanted to make sure since it was something new. I've been used to the single click feeling and this is different. Thanks for the assurance that it's normal.
 
Just passed my 6 month anniversary of my new knee. Things are going very well. Good range of flexion and extension. Last week I had my first test of navigating on snow and ice and did well. Granted it was only a couple of inches of snow but I'd rather start on the mild side. Haven't had really any issues. Just that popping in my knee. Like I told someone it reminds me of those older Barbie dolls that when you bent the knees you could hear that click-click-click. I has gotten used to the single clicking noise but this is taking some getting use to. It feels more like clunking than clicking. And it's really noticable - that clunking - when I'm rising from a chair. Walking it's just the single click. It just doesn't feel right to me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have train wheels for knees. Clickety clack clack. Clickety clack
Clack.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stopped in and had a brief visit with my PT today because I wanted to have her look at my knee. She looked at it and had another PT come in and look at it and they both agree that the clunking/catching I'm feeling isn't normal. My knee is stable but they are wondering if some scar tissue has developed and it's catching when I'm extending my knee, especially when rising from a seated position. So I'm off to my surgeon next Friday to get the official word as to what's going on.
 
I'm glad you are going to see your surgeon. If there's nothing wrong, he will be ale to reassure you. If there is something wrong, he is the person who needs to investigate further.
 
Yes definitely going to the surgeon. Just stopped at the PT first to get their opinion. My surgeon is so incredibly busy this time of year and I didn't want to waste his time if what I'm feeling was normal. I have a good relationship with my PT and knew she wouldn't charge me for this brief visit. And my PT is a sister to my surgeon which helps. Definitely helped in getting in to see the surgeon fairly soon when you tell them the PT is sending you back to the surgeon. :)
 
Please let us know what your surgeon says.
 
I'm headed back to the OR. Saw my surgeon this morning for the clunking that's going on in my knee. He said it is scar tissue behind my knee cap and it's getting caught when I extended my knee from a flexed position. He doesn't see this much, but if he does see it, it is in people who are active and/or have really good range of motion. So I go in on Jan 7 for an arthroscopic patellar debridment. Out patient surgery, few days on crutches and a couple of PT sessions to get my knee moving. He was disappointed this happened, but it is what it is. I don't blame him at all. Scar tissue happens. He took X-rays and said my knee looks great and it felt stable, so that's a good thing!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.
@midwest girl, and you've got a plan in place to take care of it. All the best with your out patient surgery in January. In the meantime, enjoy the holiday season to the fullest.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
2 weeks until surgery. Praying surgery and recovery will be uneventful and I'll be back to new like how I felt at the 5 month mark! Merry Christmas to all!!
 
The countdown has begun! I had my pre-op physical today. All that's left is the call from the surgery center to go over my medical history and tell me my scheduled surgery time. Right now it's 11:00. I'm hoping this will fix the problem for good and it will be a speedy recovery. My plan is to go back to work on the 12th. Doable???? I hope so!
 
Update: surgery last Wednesday went well. By far the easiest surgery I've ever had. He said it was what fibrosis around the knee cap looks like. The catching is totally gone! The recovery has been pain free. He ordered a few sessions of PT just to get the knee moving again. Last Friday my flexion was 117 and today 125. I've iced & elevated continually thus little swelling. Went back to work today. There was a little swelling due to being up and around. Back to the surgeon next Monday to remove stitches and to discuss when to do my left TKA, which I'm conflicted on when to do it.
 
Glad to hear you are doing well after your arthroscopy to remove fibrosis. Your left knee will let you know when it needs a TKR.
 
True. But with my right knee I waited until I thought it was telling me it was time and after the TKA my surgeon said I waited almost too long. And I did. I was in agonizing pain and my left knee hurt too. But since my right is feeling great my left doesn't hurt near like it was. I just don't want to go to early and I don't want to wait to long. And because of my job and other responsibilities it really is only convenient (or easiest) for me to do it during the summer. So if not this summer I'll have to wait another year. And because of the cortisone injections I've never let it get to the point where it was like with my other knee - the point to where the injections didn't work. It's just such a huge decision. And one I don't take lightly. I'll think it to death to the point of over thinking.
 
Still don't know what to do about when to have my left TKA. With my right knee it was so clear. Everyone says do it this summer. I just want to make sure I'm not rushing it. I guess I'll wait and see what my surgeon suggests on Monday when I see him. No one understands the indecisiveness I'm having except maybe my PT and the people on this site. They just look at me and roll their eyes and say - I thought you had this all planned out. Well yes, that was last year when the right knee was so terrible painful and I was using the left to compensate. Now with the right replaced it's equal work load and I've had 3 cortisone shots in my left knee since last May. Maybe that's the key - 3 cortisone shots in 8 1/2 months.

One week post surgery and having been at work all week I went from feeling great last week to incredibly sore. But I have great flexion! At PT today (ordered by the surgeon) I got to 130 degrees flexion. Super easy PT sessions but she did remind me it's only been a week so I still need to take it gentle with the knee.

Now if I can just make that decision.......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom