Guest viewing is limited

TKR Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you keep posting in this one it will stay open. They close if they go dormant.
 
Right knee is still doing well. I've been working to strengthen my body for my upcoming LTKA and have found there are some things my right TKA knee does not like. The flexion & extension equipment at the gym. And my left knee doesn't like riding the recumbent bike. I've got 10 weeks to get recovery ready!
 
Work on upper body strength, which will help you post op, and treat the knees gently.
 
Yesterday I started taking Mobic (an anti inflammatory med) and it is crazy after using it only two days what difference it has made. Tonight I took the stairs normally. I have no pain. It makes you think for a second - why am I doing surgery! Please tell me this is all an illusion!!
 
I've been reading my journal from my RTKA and I keep thinking why am I doing my left? Gotta look for those glimmers of positivity in those long days of recovery form last time. I said I had no regrets and couldn't wait to have the left one done! Gotta remember that!!
 
I'm so glad to hear the Mobic has helped. The problem is it's masking what is really going on with the knee. If the X-rays show it needs replacing, please consider that you will be risking further damage to the joint and compromising your recovery.

I had my LTKR done ( other knee was done jan 2014) after an awful start it's doing great. As is now my first TKR xx

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Please take care x
 
Thank you @Nana moon 27! Oh I won't cancel. I'm just concerned that all the pain is behind my knee. Hardly any in the front. I'm hoping that's just reflective pain for what's really going on with the joint. I'm just worried that after the TKA that pain will still be behind my knee. I've asked on here if anyone has ever had a knee like that but so far no responses.
 
You sound like me--in another year.:snork: I am hoping to wait that long to get the left done. As to the pain you feel in the back of the knee could be caused by a baker's cyst--I have had a bit of a problem with one "since" my RTKR, :loll:but it is getting a lot better.
 
Oh I'm so sorry I didn't see your post about the pain in the back of your knee @midwest girl!

Prior to my recent LTKR, the knee had gone bone on bone at the back of the joint. There was a lot of deterioration there. The pain in the back of my knee that radiated frontwards nearly sent me crazy. I'm sure you will be fine. I also felt like the knee had broken and that pain used to knock me sick.

I do hope others will share their experience of this too.

Please take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I don't think it's a bakers cyst. I have no swelling or warmth. I think it's referred pain from patella femoral area. A month away till surgery and no where near ready. I'm not even able to work on any of my to-dos until after the 17th. Ugh! I'll be in panic mode to get everything done in 3 weeks.
 
I don't either, but periodically "something" at the back of the knee seems to get caught in the bent joint. Fortunately it is continuing to improve.
 
I know this is a ways off, but I'm seeking some opinions now. My left TKA is scheduled for Nov 10th. Christmastime I'll be 6 weeks post op. My family lives 200 miles away in another state. So that is a 4 hr drive by myself. I just don't remember exactly how I felt at 6 wks with my last TKA, but I can't imagine making a trip like that, in the winter. My parents keep asking if I'll make it home and I just keep saying, we'll see. I do remember that my leg did not like being down for any extended period of time. Me personally, I'd rather skip the trip and stay home. I've missed family Christmas before and did fine. Do its not a big deal. And having all my family come to me is not an option. I also don't want to take the risk and be snowbound and my parents, which has happened before. I would only see all of my family on Christmas Eve. The rest of the time it would just be my parents and I. And the trip would be up on the 24tb and return on the 27th. What do you think? Is it unreasonable and selfish to just want to stay put?
 
I went back in my thread to about the 6 wk post-op time period and here's what I read - sleep issues - up to the wee hours of the morning, no stamina, fatigue pretty easily, knee swelling with increased activity. I know each knee recovery can be different, but maybe I answered mine own question. And I'm such a people pleaser that I know I'll make this deciding harder than it should be. I guess all I can do is wait and see.
 
At about ten weeks out, I did my first big drive of 150 miles. I brought my ice packs on my knee while I was driving. When I finished the drive, I was tired but not too sore. I may have stopped to take a nap about half way. I don't remember.

Is there any way your parents could come to you this year?


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
No, it wouldn't be practical for them to come here. Im 1 of 16 family members so there is no way I could host all of them. And I wouldn't encourage my elderly parents of driving to me. I'm perfectly fine with skipping family Christmas this year. It's just convincing them of that.
 
Understand.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Sounds to me like you really don't want to face a big family ta-do that early in your recovery and I don't blame you. TKR is a big deal and at 6 wks. you are a long way from recovered. Even a good time requires energy--something you will still be short of that early in recovery. The only way you could make a trip that far is if someone else drove and you sat in back with your leg up--no way you should be trying to drive that far by yourself.
 
I agree with Kssii - only if you could ride in the back seat with your leg up and iced.
 
I'm just about at 6 weeks now. I had a revision so a bit different but this recovery is taking much longer than last time. Why put pressure on yourself ? Take the holiday time for a little extra R& R. If you're feeling great, wonderful. And if not , more time to heal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom