Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MICKY AND MINNIE. HOPE YOU HAVE MANY MORE YEARS GLOBETROTTING LEFT IN YOU. BIG HUGS XXXXXXXXXX
 
Nanners Thank you Gail! Juneau is a beautiful place, that's for sure! I hope you get to go visit sometime my friend! I'm sorry to hear that your knee is still being a bit of a brat lately, hopefully this will get better soon. If the injection help, by all means use them, whatever gives you comfort kiddo!
 
Congratulations Mickey and Minnie, on your one-year anniversary. And congratulations to Jacky, who has looked after you two so well!

Jacky, I'm so glad that you and Norm enjoyed your Alaska trip. It truly is a beautiful place.

John and I are back home in New Zealand. We had to cut short our long trip, because John (without any prior warning signs) went into atrial fibrillation and heart failure. I had to call 911 and he spent 11 days in hospital in Vancouver. All told, we spent 26 days in Vancouver, 5 days good, 11 days in hospital and the rest waiting around, to make sure John was stable enough for the long flight home. Our daughter flew over from the UK, to spend a long weekend with us (I was glad of the moral support) but we missed going to see our son and his family in India.

I can't say enough about the kindness and helpfulness of the people in Vancouver. The paramedics, doctors and nurses were all caring and efficient and everyone else we encountered went out of their way to help us.

Thank goodness we had travel insurance!

In all of this, my knee was so good that i never had to give it a moment's thought!
 
Celle Thank you so much Celle! I've been thinking a lot about you and your trip. OMG how scary for you and John! (((HUGS))) I am so happy everything turned out okay! We did notice when we stayed in Vancouver that the people are very friendly and helpful, I am so happy that you were treated well, because going through something like this is very scary to say the least, but being away from doubles the fear. Travel insurance is a must when we get on in years, and I can't believe the amount of people on our trip did not take it!:scratch: It does cost to get it, but no where near as much as needing it and not having it! You must have been so happy to be home my friend!
I'm sorry you weren't able to catch up with your son and his family though!:console2: Hopefully you will get another chance.

I wish the best to you and John my friend! Stay well!
 
Thanks, Jacky.
It was scarey and quite lonely while John was in hospital. I had to do a lot of computer work to communicate with the insurance company and to cancel all our forward bookings. I'm so glad we took our computer, because I couldn't have managed without it.

There was a time when I thought I'd be bringing John home in a box, and another time when the cardiologist was talking about open-heart surgery or air ambulance all the way from Vancouver to Auckland. Imagine the cost of those!

Because John had none of the usual warning signs and his heart compensates well, we had several diagnoses before they reached the final one - and we still don't know what caused it all (it wasn't a heart attack). The day before his hospital admission, he was walking all around the Capilano Suspension Bridge area, up and down stairs, with no more breathlessness than I had.

Anyway, hopefully all the worry is behind us. He see the local cardiologist soon and will have further tests etc. Meanwhile, he sees our family doctor and has blood tests weekly. He doesn't seem any different now, just tires easily.

I do hope that it all gets sorted out, as we do still want to be able to travel - and my other knee is getting worse and will need replacement before long. I don't want to get that done until John is well enough to look after me!
 
I'm so glad he is okay! It could have turned out so much worse. But what a scary thing to go for and such a shame you missed your holidays!
 
Celle I can so feel what you have gone through, I fear it every day! When Norm had a stent and ballon put in in 1998, I thought this was it, I was going to be alone, the scariest time of my life! I am so happy that you and John came out on top on this one! And, thank god it was found and correctable in time! :console2:
Please keep me informed of his and your progress my friend! :)
 
Jacky, you little sneaker, you. A one year birth sand you didn't even tell me about it. What a great story. You have a great attitude and that helped I'm sure. Plus, you've helped a lot of people this past year, including me!
PS: I hear the Rhine cruise is great, Paris to Prague. Just sayin'.
 
Celle, thank goodness for capable and trustworthy care givers. The world is so full of wonderful and generous people.
 
Thank you all for caring.

Jacky, sorry I hijacked your thread.
 
Celle Oh my, no apology needed Celle, I would never think you or anyone else hacked my thread dear one! All are welcome here my friend!
 
rlwintin Thank you Randi! :blush: I hope I was of some help, because I know there are a lot of BoneSmarties that helped me throughout this year. I am a firm believer that a positive attitude is key to not only our recovery in TKR, but also in life in general! I have a motto which I like to keep in mind (Look up, not down and good will come around!).

A cruise on the Rhine, sounds like a wonderful trip! :thumb:
 
Hi Jacky, yep, I had both done at once in the end - my original surgeon retired during my long wait and when the hospital offered to do bilateral (under a new surgeon) it was a no brainer. Although I wouldn't want to go through it again in a hurry, I am glad I went along with it, and so far I have had it easy (touch wood). The hospital I went to is quite small and I turned into a minor attraction :rofsign: .

I am glad you had such a good time in Alaska - it must have been a great adventure. Do try and go for that cruise along the Danube (or the Rhine) if you can - no ice bergs in sight but lots of pretty castles! Although, being German, I might be a little bit biased:heehee: .
 
Phoenixx29 Ahhhh, the castles! That's what caught our eye when Norm had the cruise trip on line, it all looked so beautiful!

I hope your recovery continues to be easy on you. I found that when I first had my BTKR I was stiff, swollen and tender, but nothing compared to that god awful bone on bone pain that I had before the surgery, so for me I was home free! Lots of work ahead but darn worth it! :thumb: So my friend, I applauded you for making your decision, now the worse is behind you and the best is ahead of you! :friends:
 
Celle how scary for you and your hubby! I have Atrial Fibrillation issues myself. Geesh, what don't I have! :(

But the first time it hit, scared me to death. But now when it happens they get all freaked out and I just stay calm. Mine is triggered by vomiting or choking, which happens with my Crohns sometimes. I just went thru the holter monitor and Heart ultrasound. I do have mitral and tricuspid valve leakage, but they are just watching it for now, and the tests showed it hasn't gotten worse.

Hope hubby's is as easy to treat. Big hugs to you both!
 
Hi Jackie – Sorry I’m late wishing Mickey & Minnie a Happy Birthday! I can’t believe a whole year has gone by. It’s funny, at first I kept track of each month that went by but then at some point I started to forget and next thing I know it was time for my one year check up.
I’m glad you guys had such a good time on your trip, it sounds wonderful!!
 
Hi Jacky - Your a funny gal. Congrats on the new twins. I'm going in for my BTKR in a few months. When you're feeling up to it, let me know how it is you get in and out of the hospital bed. Do you have to assist your legs with a rope?

Keep on heal'n
Jesse
 
Happy 1 year anniversary Jacky to you, Micky & Minnie! I am right behind you. I want to thank you and all the Bone Smarties for being there for me along this journey. I can not believe it's been a year already. I too still have tenderness and some stiffness but nothing like that bone on bone. I thank God every day that I have them done. Best wishes too you.
 
Jesse for the Fight I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't see the post until this morning! I was able to get out of the bed without too much trouble. I would strongly suggest that you do your quad exercises and leg lifts before you have your BTKR, because I believe this helped me a lot. I did buy a leg lift just in case, but I never had to use it. On the second day Mickey decided that he didn't want to pick himself up without help, but I had a good talking to him and told him that Minnie was showing him up and that he'd better start pulling his own weight, after that little talk he came around! :heehee: I figured it must have been my left quad that wasn't firing up for a bit, but it quickly fixed itself!

Are you going to a rehab facility after your hospital stay? I did and it was really helpful for my return home. I had very gentle PT twice a day, and hubby didn't have to worry about me.

I applaud you for making the decision to have BTKR, it is not an easy decision, however it will be well worth it my BoneSmartie friend!
When are you going in?

Stay well and stay positive kiddo!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom