Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what you gals, Norm's portion was $6 and mine was $20, so I told him that since I had the larger portion that he had to walk behind me for the rest of the trip, then I quickly remembered that he had a cane and maybe that wasn't such a good idea!:skep: :loll:
 
I forgot to tell you guys, remember how I said that I got the seasick patch for behind the ear so I don't mess up this cruise by getting seasick? Well I put the patch on 4 hours before we boarded ship like it said. We did a bus tour on Vancouver that morning and everything was fine, by the time we got to our room on the ship I was a mess! No, not seasick, it was more like I had alzheimer's or a heavy case of dementia. I remember looking at Norm like he wasn't telling me the truth about what I was experiencing, I remember looking at him with a blank stare and couldn't form a correct thought. I was mixing my thoughts with what we did or what I was seeing on the ferry, earlier that day, with what was happening on the ship. I remember seeing that look that I was giving Norm on his mom's face when her mind was in a far away place. Norm remembered it to, that's what scared him so much! The whole ship safety drill was just a blurr, and I couldn't stand straight to save my life and the ship hadn't even taken off yet! After supper that night things weren't getting any better so I removed the patch and went to bed! Thank god I felt better the next morning, but by supper time Norm was starting to feel strange so he removed his patch too and was better the next day. We had no problem with seasickness or anything else the rest of the trip and the last 2 nights on the ship were quite choppy, that's when I found out the my balance was really good!:) Now I know not everyone experience the same effects from the patch, since I spoke to many people on the ship that were wearing them with great results. I can say that I won't be trying that method again!

If alzheimer's or dementia is like what I was experiencing, that's some scary stuff man!:shocked:
 
Well, combine that with morphine and all the other drugs, and I wasn't walking and barely talking those first three days. Totally out of it! And I thought he put my leg on crooked.
 
Oh my gosh! Not a good feeling at all! If I ever feel like that again I hope someone puts me out of my misery really quickly!
 
Hi Jacky, I am just catching up on the posts. Looks you an Norm had a wonderful trip. :ok: The pictures are beautiful. These new knees are great! We just went to the beach for our 13th anniversary last week and for the 1st time in a couple of years I walked the beach with no pain. The last time we went I could only walk from the car to the room and spent my time on the balcony looking at the water. :sad: Walking up and down stairs still feels a little stiff and wobbly but walking even on an incline was so nice.
 
Jacky, it is so fun to read your posts. I wonder what you are going to do with that treasure trove of gold that you found. I hope you don't develop gold fever and move to Alaska. If you do, just remember to take LOTS of warm clothes! and maybe a harmonica to while away the long winter hours in your little miner's cabin.
 
rlwintin Randi, I will think long and hard before I even consider moving to Alaska! The tour bus driver that drove us through Denali national park said she moved to Alaska from Lewiston Maine in November, 8 years ago. She moved into this one room shack with no front door, she found a door on a trash heap, hauled it home and put it up by herself. Now trust me baby, I would have to be one sorry soul to attempt that number! :yikes: I'll tell you one thing though, everyone on our tour agreed that she was the most well spoken, and knowledgable tour guide that we had on the whole trip! But a cabin in the middle of nowhere, NOT! :scary: There's bears in them there woods!
 
I have a friend that moved to Alaska after taking the same trip you were on. She stayed there for three years and then took a job in South Carolina.
 
Oh my Janet, Norm's been saying, hey Jack, it's your one year anniversary coming up, all week and he said it again this morning, "today is your day". Then I come on here and there you are!:)

Yes, one year ago today, as a matter of fact right at this time, I was in lala land about to get Mickey and Minnie as my life's companions! For better or for worse we were going to be one!:) When they woke me from my stupor the first thing I asked was "Was the doc able to do both?" because for me I thought I was just under for a very short time, and there's no way he could have done both, I was really afraid to know because I knew I did not what to go through this again! The head nurse looked down at me and said "Yes Jacky, he did do both!" I was so excited that I kicked both legs in the air and looked down at my knee to confirm that she was telling me the truth, they couldn't believe that I did that! Later on when I was in my room she came to check on me and said that after I kicked my heels up, I fell fast asleep with the biggest smile on my face! Funniest thing is that I remember the whole incident

A year ago in May I was in a lot of pain and bearly moving without being close to tears! I was shopping for clothes to wear at rehab and PT, and looking toward a very long recovery, and not knowing what to expect! Oh sure I read as many posts as I could get my eyes on searching for some clues! I discovered while searching, that everyone had a different experience, good and bad. One would think, heck this is not giving me any concrete material as to what to expect from this big change in my life, however everyone's story did give me plenty to work with, it taught me to believe in myself as others believed in themselves, so I put my best foot forward so to speak and I have been going forward ever since! I am so thankful to this forum for getting me through that stage and beyond, because when you're sitting in your home and no one else you know has or is going through this, you are alone, BoneSmart and all it's members made me feel less alone!:friends: Thank you one and all!

In contrast to my accounts above, skooch over one year! This past May I was shopping for clothes for our Alaskan trip, a whole different type of waredrobe than last May that's for sure!:) On this trip I learned a lot about myself, I can walk endlessly with these new knees, the lower back is another story. I can walk the incline and decline of the ships boarding plank without any pain or resistance. I don't know if any of you have ever gotten on one of those big tour buses, but they have a very high first step:skep: I can't believe my quads got me up there!:yay: Again I met up with countless baby toilets, what's up with that?:shrug: , again not a problem! Going down to the dinner car on a moving train, now this one really worried me!, not a problem!:yes!: Going to the dining room on a ship at rough seas, now everyone was holding on for dear life, holding onto anything they could get their hands on. It was quite funny actually, we all looked like a bunch of drunken sailors!:rolleyes: :heehee: Sitting on a plane on a overnight flight was somewhat of a challange, being all cramped up in that seat for too many hours. Luckily I was able to stretch my legs under the seat in front of me, but I pity the poor long legged passengers.

All in all I would say my recovery year was a success! I still have some tenderness and sensitivity on the front of my knee caps, but it's my understanding that this recovery could take up to 1 1/2 years and if a little sensitivity is all can bellyache about then I think I can live with that!:)

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it!

The End!:friends:
 
Wonderful, inspiring story Jacky. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU111
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom