Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a horrible tragedy! When I was teaching, a 12 year old had stashed his mother's gun in his backpack. He wore a trench coat that day which I felt was extremely odd since it was so hot all day. I alerted the principal, but she ignored me and told me it was my "imagination" running wild. Columbine had occurred a few weeks before. The young man sat through our classes until the last period of the day. It seems there was a kid who had been Bullying him, and he took the gun out and chased him out of the building and across the football field. A police officer tackled him.

I will say this, if a kid is going to kill people, they have ready access on how to make bombs and "killings evinces" on the Internet. My husband and I both have guns, and to take them away because kids go crazy is not going to help. If they pass a no gun law, only the people who are criminals will have them! If someone breaks into my house I have to consider is it my life or theirs. I don't know about other states, but in TX, we can shoot the intruder. I an an experienced marksman and I would probably shoot them in the knees. But I would shoot them if necessary.
 
I don't even know how many guns Dave has. He is talking that all gun owners should have their guns locked up. He said he would feel terrible if someone took one of his guns to do something like what happened in CT. When we built our house, there is a room in the basement that we call his gun room. He has an area where he can reload shells and then all his junk and that is where he keeps his guns. He has been lax about locking that room, but said he will now. But then I think, what if someone breaks in our house, all our guns are in the basement locked up. But it is not like we have them next to our bed now either. I think more help is needed for mental health. I know of cases of people that need help but don't get it, or can't afford it.
 
Guns don't kill with out bullets. Restrictions on clips and bullets can go a long way to easing this horrible problem.

As for locking up guns. We had a horrible accident happen in the family when I was about 12. My second cousin was a teacher and a very contentiousness father. He lived out in the country and was a hunter. He had his guns taken apart and locked up. His ammunition was also locked up in a separate place. He took every precaution. Well, his 6 year old somehow found a gun and some ammunition. On Mother's day he and his 3 year old brother were playing outside the kitchen window as their mother watched while finishing up cleaning the kitchen. The 6 year old pulled out the gun and shot his brother dead through the heart. All in front of their Mother. He went over to him and said over and over, " get up, get up!!" He had no realization of it all. This incident totally shattered this family to this day. This was in the 1950's.
 
Well, I know there is a division on this subject, and Mimi I am so sorry that happened! The Connecticut massacre was a horrible tragedy. What bothers me is the Mom knew her son was bipolar but still had those guns where he could get to them! In most instances the people pulling the trigger are either bullied or mentally ill. Yes, I agree something should be done A ban on guns won't do it. As I said before, the people who do these things will find another way. In Columbine, the two shooters had guns but they had made bombs also. If a person is set on killing a lot of people, all they have to do is look it up on the Internet! We have a lot of guns, but they are locked up. We have one that is in the nightstand beside the bed. I'm sorry, but if it means saving myself, I will shoot. If the criminal comes in with a gun, I am going to shoot to make sure that the gun he has can't be used on me. Assault rifles are another story, I could not use one of those.
 
Sonja, my daughter is a teacher and media specialist at a very large high school. She had a gun discussion with her teacher friends. They all had "gun stories" to tell. The main point to the stories was that these kids brought concealed guns to school to be "cool". That blows my old mind. What do we have to do in society to change this notion of "cool" with our young people??:sick:
 
You are correct! Society has changed so much about the amount of freedom some parents give their children! They buy them guns so they can learn to shoot. If parents aren't aware of the dangers in giving kids guns, or they allow them to have guns, by not locking them up, it causes major problems!
 
I respect your right to have those guns. However, this part bothers me, "We have one that is in the nightstand beside the bed. " I had a neighbor that did the same thing and had a gun in the nightstand. Then one day his son found it and carried it around most of the day till someone found it on him. Luckily, nothing happened. It freaked me out and my kids were not allowed over there after that incident. The father still kept the gun in the nightstand. After living there for over 35 years, they never needed the gun.

When kids visit your home, I hope your nightstand is locked and the key no where in sight. I say this cause you never know what kids will do and they are very curious.
 
I know gun ownership is a very personal and closly held issue for many people, on both sides of the argument. I suppose the pro ownership folks could make the argument that it would be like banning pet ownership because there are dogs and chimps that have mauled and killed people. I wouldn't feel my animal was a threat or feel it fair to give up my pet. Not a good analogy, I know, because many pets have no capacity to maul or kill, and guns always do. I would never have a gun in our home, and my husband wouldn't either. His cousin adopted a child and then, as it happens, found themselves pregnant. At the age of five the adopted child shot and killed their other child by accident when they found a gun to play with where the parents imagined was a safe place. There is no safe place. Even keys and combinations are someplace. My brother is a staunch supporter of gun rights, but several years ago, his rural home was broken into and robbed. He had a dozen guns stolen. Whose hands did those guns end up in? He has no idea. He lives alone and thought his own guns were no risk to anyone. I'd do away with them all if I could. But Jacky is right, the assault weapons have no place in private ownership. They should be banned.
 
I know that many people feel the violence in video games and movies contributes to this. If I remember rightly, the men in the Columbine shooting stylized themselves on the movie the "Matrix" I don't have any answers, but I am interested in what others think about this, although we are hijacking your thread, Jacky!
 
A good home security system that triggers an audible alarm and a call to the police will do more than a gun on a bedstand while someone sleeps. I know in some places, like Texas or Montana, folks are raised to think differently about guns and it's part of the local culture to own guns. It's one of those subjects where there will be no meeting of the minds. Personally I hope laws change, like it or not. We have to start somewhere.
 
Janet, my daughter has one of those security systems and it works great. However, when they first had it installed, we came over when they were at work to power wash their deck.. They gave us all the codes and a key. Well, we did something wrong and the alarm went off and soon the police were at the door. They were very nice, but had to prove we did not break in. Calls were made and we need information from our son-in-law. He was in some kind of security meeting and could not be reached. We finally got our daughter, but the final security number had to be verified by her husband. After much time, I looked at the officer and said", Officer, do you think we would break in and then power wash the deck? " He laughed and was very nice and left. :heehee:
 
I set my daughters off when she was at the hospital sleeping just after giving birth. I had to think like my daughter to come up with the security password. It's a hassle sometimes but better than the alternative.
 
Children are much smarter then most adult give them credit for. They watch, they listen and they learn! Their minds are so quick while ours slow down. If they see an adult stash a gun somewhere, they've also seen where the bullets are stashed. They don't have to stand there watching in order to know where these dangerous things are, they could be just passing by and catch a glimpse and it all down loaded into their little brains. For instance, I remember watching my grandson when he was 4 or 5 and I was signing myself on my computer cause I wanted to show him something, and as I was logging on he said, I know what your password is gram, and I thought I was shielding myself when I typed my password pretty good, but noooo he told me my PW, that's how quickly they can see. Needless to say I changed my PW right after he left the room.
So if anyone thinks that a child is protected from knowing to much, think again! I think a lot of people in this country don't take their children seriously enough as to the possibilities of harm that can come to them or that they can do to others.
All those sad stories above could and should have been prevented, and there are countless other such sad stories.
That mother of that deranged demon knew he had mental issues yet she takes him to the shooting range to teach home how to shoot and isn't it ironic that he kills her with her own gun. And what the hell did she need that many guns for? And she leaves them in easy access?
And why a semi automatic? Unbelievable!

We need to save the children, so they can be future BoneSmarties!
 
I believe the assault weapons should for sure be outlawed. For what purpose does ANYONE need an assault weapon? But....I also believe that the mental health issues really need to be dealt with better. I agree why would a woman have all those weapons in her house with a son who was "unable to feel pain". Sad just too sad!
 
I live in a country where most people do not have guns. Even the police are not routinely armed. They carry a gun in a locked box in their vehicles, but do not have personal arms. Most felons do not have guns, either. We survive and we are not killed by intruders.

We have to get a licence to have a gun and the people who have guns are mostly hunters and farmers. If you have a gun, it has to be kept locked up, with the ammunition locked up in a separate place.

Even if it were allowed, I would never consider keeping a gun beside my bed - I would be too afraid an intruder would find it and use it against me.

There is no need for anyone, except acting military on assignment, to have an assault weapon. It would be impossible at this stage to ban guns for the general populace in the USA, but I believe that the banning of assault weapons could be implemented.

To the people (not just here, but in the mass media as well) who have been saying that this killer had Asperger's or bi-polar illness and should have been treated - neither of these conditions pre-disposes you to being homicidal. It was the easy access to his mother's guns that caused this tragedy.
 
I have a niece who teaches in an International School in China.

She tells me that, on the same day as the Newtown tragedy, a deranged person attacked some children outside a kindergarten in China. It is very hard to obtain a gun in China and this person was armed only with a knife. 20 children were wounded, most not seriously, and the attacker was arrested.

No gun and nobody died. 'Nuff said!
 
Now that we've resolved nothing, Jacky, you could ask a moderator to move these posts to the thread in the social room to purge your thread and reclaim it for the joys of mickie and minnie if you want. Just a thought...
 
Janet2012 LOL... Now that we've resolved nothing! So true Janet, however it was good to get it out! I'm fine with the conversation staying on this thread, but thanks for the thought!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom