Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I sure hear you with the concern about our kids marrying young. My 17yo daughter said just today. "I am not sad to admit that the love of my life has 4 legs." (her horse) I am good with that for now...
 
Thanks Marianne! Back in the day (in the 60's) most boys and men were not as attentive as they are today, however I did get lucky! Believe me I was no easy catch back in my younger years (unlike today:heehee:), even at 14 years old I was very mindful as to who I spent time with because of my family back ground and the turmoil I had seen between adult couples in my family.
Every couple Norm and I know, friends, sisters and brothers on both sides are all divorced, however we both feel happy that we made it work for us. I however would never recommend that young girls marry so young. I would tell them that it leads to bad knees!:loll:
 
We were 17 when we met, and married at 20, young enough! 21 when the first child was born. I loved being as young as we were when my kids were grown, and imagined being a really young grandma. But my kids all ended up dating their mates for many years (10 and 6) before marrying, and then waiting before starting a family, so my knees didn't hold up long enough! Lol!

Jacky, strangely, there are few divorces among our friends and family. Certainly, they are in the minority. I can count four that went through divorces while they were part of our lives. Two when we were in our 20's and two in recent years. Not sure why it's so skewed from the norm, but I'm grateful to have that kind of stability in my world. You are way ahead of me. It will be 41 years for us in February.
 
Jacky! You crack me up!! Thanks for the laugh lady... I needed that today! We got married in our early 20's and now our kids are all over 21 and out of the house on their own.. 4 boys... I would like to say the contributing factor to my knees was trying to keep up with them all those years and the camping trips hiking, etc... but sadly my cause was genetic and the extra wear and tear from gymnastics thru school didn't help.. :-( But boy would I love to tell my kids that getting married too soon will lead to bad knees! LOL
 
Roxie, you could tell them that anyway. Telling interesting stories seems to be something that has been passed down through the generations in my family. :heehee:

Jacky, we're doing well. Glad that you and your family are too. :friends:
 
Janet, 20 is still very young and you and hubby have come a long way as well, congrats! We loved being youg parents as well, because we had energy that young kids require. I see older couples with young kids and I think, how do they do that?! Some are in their 50's with teens, OMG!, if I had a teen while in my 50's or now-a-days, for sure I would be put in a mental insititution!:yikes: So in that sense, I am glad we had them young. When our son married everyone thought I was his sister. That was 20 years ago, I was much younger looking and a lot more lightweight!

Roxie, I'm glad I was able to give you a much needed laugh today! Wow, you have had a long run of it as well, congrats to you and hubby! And, raising 4 boys to boot, now that's a challenge!:thumb:
My bad knees were genetics as well, but I'll even stretch truth in order to prevent any young person from getting married to young.:heehee:
 
I agree with Marianne, your stories are very sweet and it was fun reading them.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!
Hi! Jacky! Just wanted to drop in and thank you for all your good wishes and support during the past couple of months. I've got a lot to catch up with. Will be posting soon is Paul's thread about him. Missed you and hope you are in fine fettle!
 
Hold on Jacky!:umm: You see I had my daughter when I was almost 38, and when I was 50 she was 12. That means that she was a teen all through my 50's and it turned out well. At one point, she found out that I was old enough to be the "grandma" to one of the girls on her volleyball team. :rolleyes: Her sister is 4 years older than she is, and her brother is 7 years older than the youngest. So for most of my 50's I had 2 and 3 teenagers!:yahoo: I was so busy with my kids who all did year round sports, scouts and the girls did dance, that the time flew.:happydance:

She graduated from college 2 months after we moved to our 55+ community.:rofsign:She was not happy with that, but in the end it was the best thing for her. It made her stand on her own 2 feet and get a terrific job without Mom & Dad around. We live about 2 hours from her and unlike her brother and sister she did miss out on moving back home after college. :boohoo:
 
I met Dave when I was 19 and he was 25. We married two years later and had our daughter one year after that. Spent our first anniversary in the hospital. There are 5 kids in my family and no divorces. We have the shortest marriage of 37 years. Now Dave's sister and brother were both divorced, his sister twice. Surprises me as raised very well, his parents married for 66 years, my parents were married 61 years. My daughter married at 25 and stayed married less then two years. No kids. Very verbally abused and knew it was wrong. I don't like divorce, but this turned out well as she married and has a wonderful little boy and two step daughters.
 
Hold on Jacky!:umm: You see I had my daughter when I was almost 38, and when I was 50 she was 12. That means that she was a teen all through my 50's and it turned out well. At one point, she found out that I was old enough to be the "grandma" to one of the girls on her volleyball team. :rolleyes: Her sister is 4 years older than she is, and her brother is 7 years older than the youngest. So for most of my 50's I had 2 and 3 teenagers!:yahoo: I was so busy with my kids who all did year round sports, scouts and the girls did dance, that the time flew.:happydance:

She graduated from college 2 months after we moved to our 55+ community.:rofsign:She was not happy with that, but in the end it was the best thing for her. It made her stand on her own 2 feet and get a terrific job without Mom & Dad around. We live about 2 hours from her and unlike her brother and sister she did miss out on moving back home after college. :boohoo:
That took a lot of energy Mimi, and I don't think I would have had that much energy. I applauded your hard work and as we all know raising our children is very rewarding! :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!
Hi! Jacky! Just wanted to drop in and thank you for all your good wishes and support during the past couple of months. I've got a lot to catch up with. Will be posting soon is Paul's thread about him. Missed you and hope you are in fine fettle!
Welcome back Judy, you've been on my mind a lot lately and I love your new avatar and also your attached picture "I iz Baaack" very cute! I missed seeing your comment and input, because you have great insight on a wide range of issues! :thumb:
 
Thanks Jacky. Trying to figure out how the font changed in that last post.:doh:

Having a family and raising children was very important for my husband and I. We were both teachers and wanted some of our own to raise. Well, it just did not happen for us. We went through infertility testing and tried everything available and nothing worked. So we decided to adopt. And we got our family, first a boy, then a girl.:yay: Our family was complete. Then when we were married 16 years I found out that I was pregnant.:happydance: I was 3 months pregnant when I found out!:doh:
I thought it was early menopause.:heehee: Then the Dr. gives me my due date and it is my daughter's birthday!! So I have 3 kids in a 7 year time span. They are all so very different and alike. People at our pool never believed that my girls weren't biological sisters. When my kids are all together and with people who don't know who is adopted, my youngest asks then to guess who is. And they always say she is!:rotfl: She loves it cause they are close and it does not matter who is who. My son had a girlfriend who used to vacation with us, and she said to me one day," You know if someone walked in here they could never tell who is who....cause you love them all the same and give them all hell the same!!!:loll:She really paid me a high compliment.:flwrysmile:
 
I met Dave when I was 19 and he was 25. We married two years later and had our daughter one year after that. Spent our first anniversary in the hospital. There are 5 kids in my family and no divorces. We have the shortest marriage of 37 years. Now Dave's sister and brother were both divorced, his sister twice. Surprises me as raised very well, his parents married for 66 years, my parents were married 61 years. My daughter married at 25 and stayed married less then two years. No kids. Very verbally abused and knew it was wrong. I don't like divorce, but this turned out well as she married and has a wonderful little boy and two step daughters.
Deb, you and Dave have enjoyed many years together as well! You were also very young when you married. I don't believe that divorce is a product of how we are raised. It is extremely hard to find the right partner for life! My daughter just divorced this year after 15 years of marriage, she tried to make it work, however he thought nothing was wrong until it was to late, the point of no return if you will, then he knew he messed up. I would not wish a bad marriage on my worse enemy, however divorce is the right thing for many. Our daughter is the happiest we've seen in years and I'm happy for her.
 
Mimi, that is such a sweet story! This must warm your heart my friend, job well done! :thumb:
 
Thanks Jacky. Believe me it wasn't so sweet to live the years and years of infertility! That is one tough road to travel, especially when everyone around you are popping out kids all the time. Then you get asked when you are having some???
I had a neighbor that said to me, "why do you have 4 bedrooms, you don't need all that room!":hissy: So when we finally filled the fourth bedroom, my husband wanted to run over and say, " Oh look the bedrooms are all full of kids!" Someone made a toast on News years eve and went around the room and toasted each couple. When he got to us he said, "and next year they will still be trying!" He was not a mean person, just did not think that hurts! We are still good friends to this day, but I never forgot that remark. :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom