Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacky, so glad your doing great. Kept up the good work!!! I'm amazed of your positive attitude:dancy: knowing how hard and painful PT can be!!!!!! I had a positive attitude two days ago, and I guess I still do but those therapist sure push hard. Keep smiling:biggrin:
Kim
 
Becky, thanks! So far Mickey and Minnie are behaving little children!:thumb:

Kim, how are you coming a long? My positive attitude comes with focusing on the brass ring! And knowing that I have passed the worst hurdle! Try and keep a bight outlook, every day is a day closer to a better life!:friends:
 
Little things become luxuries, to be savored! Yes, the shower is one!

Two of my most uttered sentences in rehab were:

1. I need to go to the bathroom.
2. I need my pain meds.

Sentence No. 1 got a much quicker response time than No. 2! :hysterical:

Gosh, it all seems so far away now! Jacky & Janet, it will be like that for you too.
 
PooShay, I am so happy that I don't have to call to get help to go to the bathroom any more!:thumb: As of yesterday I no longer have to wait to go to and from the bathroom! Although if I feel lighted I promised that I would buzz them! That's easy because if I feel light headed I do not get out of bed, until they regulate my BP meds!

I sure do look forward to having it all behind me for sure!:biggrin:
 
Jacky, add this to your list of milestones---it is one you know--to be trusted to get to the bathroom like an adult.!:hysterical: I actually did this before getting permission 'cause they took too long and I couldn't wait.

You're doing great--so keep up the good work and take care.
 
Yea Judy, there just is nothing like being able to go to the bathroom without the whole world knowing!:thumb: when they come to help all you here is, yuk, yuk, yuk, outside the bathroom door like this was entertainment center for them and all I want is peace at quite so I can get the job done! I starting to think that it's not pain killers that bind a person, but it the people standing outside the door going , Are you okay? Every 2 mins!:hissyfit:
Good old indepence! Awe the free world!:th_heehee:
 
Good morning Jacky. I have to remind myself that you have a three day head start on me, although I know I can't compare my own progress to anyone but me. Getting up, much less going to the bathroom independently, seems beyond the capacity of my imagination right now. How are you finding the people at the rehab? Have they done PT yet? Have a good morning!
 
I hated being taken to the bathroom. Espcially when the person taking me was half my size. If I fell we were both going down! One time I had to ring twice that I was done, seems there was some kind of party going on in my room and I had to fight for attention.
 
Good afternoon Janet! Three days does make a big difference in recovery that's for sure. It seems like one day you can't stand alone and the next, there you are on your own two feet and you got there by yourself!:scratch:
I have been doing PT twice a day since Tuesday. Today I had it from 8:30 until about 11:30, but nothing painful just to the point of discomfort. They really hang tight with that rule and they are really mindful that I get my meds before PT starts. The whole rehab and PT experience is so far very positive! And I am very greatful and lucky for that!:thumb: My PT group or I should say some of the group are now "lurkers" on BoneSmart
I hope your experience is as positive!:friends: take care and take all the time you need. Your knees and you are in charge, no one or nothing else!:wubroses:

Morning Glory, you are so right about the person being half your size and trying to help you get to the bathroom. What do they really think they can do when your both down? Yell louder for help? Trust me if I'm down, no body is going to yell louder than me, especially when I'm yelling for a CRANE to come pick me up!:hysterical: My worse lift me up technique is when people grab the back of your pants and hoist you up. WHAT?:what: That is the worst wedgie that I had since being a kid!:skeptical: That's really not nice to do to an adult! That act alone got me working on my quads really quickly.
 
Jacky,

Funny isn't it that they ask you to sit?

As we all know, sitting down and getting up hurt. But, once standing, you can stand longer on those titanium and plastic brand shining new numbers than on the old clapped out bone jobs now in the bin. I couldn't get over it.

So they are in fact not doing you any favours.

But that 'big show off' thing is psychology, building you up. Lovely innit?
 
Roy, it sure is funny that they ask you to sit, especially when you know, that they know that it hurts when we sit and stand, but I think I got one over on them when I said, that's okay I feel strong enough to head right back!:th_heehee:

As far as that "big show off" thing, well, if they really knew me they never would have used such BS on me! However it is funny that they think full grown adults fall for such BS! People are a funny lot though I must say!:loll:
 
Oh my, I didn't get the wedgie I'm happy to say! Every time I got up they but this huge leather belt on me - like the gown wasn't lovely enough on its own. I wasn't allowed to take a step unless someone was hanging on to the belt. Maybe it's all part of the master plan to get us working on PT to get some of our dignity back.:th_heehee:
 
:hysterical: I hear it's part of the TKR package, but one of the last things to arrive. At least these things happen to us when we're older. There was a time in my life where these things would have devastated me. Now I figure they've seen worse (?) and after a few days I'll never see these people again anwyway.
 
dont know if having both knees done at same time that you have help,when i was in and i was sent to a private hospital the nhs had to cancel so you get transfered,said needed to go gave me a zimmer said door at end and ring bell when wanted to get back bed ,robert next bed when i left hospital still not been had cathater in because could not walk didnt seem to want to help us
 
I'm so sorry to hear the bathroom indignities you all endured while in the hospital. I never had a band around my waist. I had two PT people the first day who got on each side and talked me thru standing up. I thought putting my feet on the floor the first 3 days, created the worst pain. Standing up was a relief! They spent the first two days teaching me how to get up, how to manuver. The only thing I had to do was to ring the nurses station before I got up. The nurses rocked! They showed up and allowed me to do my thing always offering to help me if I wanted help. After I had my second knee done I did call for a bedpan two or three times. I was helped on and then left to my own devices while they waited for me to tell them I was finished. They were really helpful without being intrusive. I lost all dignity after giving birth but it was nice that they were considerate of what little dignity I had left! Wedgies??? I didn't lose use of my arms someone would have been down and it wouldn't have been me! :hate-shocked:
 
Morning Glory, you are so right about the age thingy! As a young girl OMG, everything was devastating! I can deal with it much better at this stage in life!:blush:

Richard, I understand that they do have to protect themselves and the hospital for lawsuits and I for one needed the added support in case something happened to me! I was grateful that they where there for me! I'm just glad that that part is over!:thumb: And congratulations on your new knee! I wish you a good and speedy recovery!:friends:

Bev, i hear you about the dignities being lost at child birth, I had my first at 17 years of age and boy was that ever an awakening!:what: I like you had a great team in the hospital and in rehab! Very nice people who would do everything to preserve you privacy, however I do more damage inside my own head when it comes to issues like this. Luckily I do allow myself to GET OVER IT!:hysterical: I do have to see the humor in everything!:th_heehee:
 
Jacky you are doing so well and really are sailing through like a champ:yay:

Good to hear that the bathroom issues are better for you. Each day you are passing some good milestones. :thumb: Keep them rolling.

The pain or discomfort on standing is just the TKR dance that has to slowly work its way out. Mine took a very long time because of the Baker's cyst problem. I know you will sail through this too:friends:
 
Every time I got up they put this huge leather belt on me - like the gown wasn't lovely enough on its own. I wasn't allowed to take a step unless someone was hanging on to the belt.

Same here Morning Glory, only my belt was canvas. My hospital's PT parting gift to me was the belt, fashioned with a loop on the bottom so I could lasso, then pick up and move my leg. Best present ever! :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom